Is my Xbox 360 dead?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Aragorn, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is no red ring of death, but out of nowhere my game started freezing. I had to press the power button on the console, tried again, and it froze again. I thought maybe it's the disc, but when I played a game that was on my hard drive, a few minutes in, it also froze!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Sounds like the graphics hardware is going. I had similar problems when my launch day 360 went, it eventually RRoDed on me.

The problem is that unless it actually RRoD's or it's still under warranty, Microsoft won't replace it.

3. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

one option is to wrap it in towels and leave it on for a few hours-"bake" it in case the solder has broken-"baking" it re-welds the solder and revives dying Xboxes.

4. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Just be very very carefully if you try the towel trick, i tried this unsuccesfuly when i got 2 red lights and MS wanted £70 to fix the 360, so i gave the towel trick a go and i can tell you the whole lot reaches very dangerous levels of heat.....so if you do try it be very careful, and under no circumstances leave it on for a few hours, after 20 Min's mine felt like it was about to burst into fire.

5. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well that was exactly what happened to mine when I had to send it off. As I mentioned yesterday in another thread, I was in the middle of "Crackdown" when it started going bad, suddenly with no warning. I never did get the actual RROD, but MSFT did fix it under the 3 year warranty thing.

6. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

My bad-did some checking and 20 minutes is accurate, according to my friends on XBOX Live. They WILL burst into flames after an hour or so of "baking". Sorry.:p

7. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just be careful.
    We don't need another story saying it's the fault of an XBox 360 that someone's house burn down. ;)

8. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

for the longest time I was debating to get a 360 or a PS3. After reading on several forums on how often the 360 dies I decided on the PS3. Now I never owned a 360 and I love my original xbox, but I read to many horror stories on the 360 to get one

9. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^The 360 has some great games and XBlive and all its features are still top of the pack, but the machine itself is some what dodgy and seem to suffer badly from overheating, which would not be to bad if MS were covering all errors caused by overheating, but they are not, they are only covering 3 Red lights, and any other faults caused by overheating they want you to pay for.

Silly buggers.