Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No I have not read any book where her personality is featured prominently. I've read the Destiny trilogy this week and before that I read your Titan book. Those two are about all the Star Trek books I've read this year.

Interestingly though Moon Bloodgood's upcoming movie role as Maya Sunee in Street Fighters is neither elegant nor soft-spoken. Don't get me wrong I posted the question before I saw your own choices. I see now that you are going for a different look and feel. More full-blooded Asian than half-Asian.

I live in the South and I don't have satellite TV either. I got the impression from frequent visits to ethnic grocery shops here in Atlanta. :)

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a couple new ideas for Titan characters, for Xin I was thinking that maybe Peter Outerbridge, who plays David Sandstrom from the Canadian show ReGenesis, he is also in an upcoming Sanctuary episode and he guest starred in pilot episode of Fringe. I've been watching ReGenesis on Hulu while reading the Destiny books, and it just popped into my head that he could be a good Ra-Havreii. My other idea is Keith Szarabajka who played Holtz in Angel, and just guest starred in Prison Break and Cold Case, for the voice of Ree. Angel video with Holtz in a few bits.

3. Chris McCarver

Chris McCarver Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I find it kinda ironic that the two actors I've read thus far mentioned as possible voices for Ree have both voiced the character of Wolverine (Szarabajka in the "Ultimate Spider-Man" videogame and Scott McNeil [Dinobot in "Beast Wars"] in "X-Men: Evolution").

4. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

The question of Miranda Kadohata's uniform color has come up at Memory Beta. I'd portrayed her as wearing a red uniform in the manipulated image below, on the premise that her duties as second officer had been given more prominence than her duties as operations manager (and the thought that red looked better on Stephanie Chaves-Jacobsen). Should I have done so, or should her uniform have been colored gold? We've seen officers in both colors at the ops station on the Enterprise-E.

[​IMG]

(Specifically, I'm looking for the opinions of KRAD, Christopher, and David Mack, two of whom have previously approved of the image, and whose opinions naturally carry more weight in addressing this question.)

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, my first thought was that an ops manager can be anyone down to an ensign (like Harry Kim), but second officer is a command position, so it should take priority and she'd be in red. On the other hand, Data was ops manager/second officer and he wore gold, so onscreen precedent says gold.

Anyway, that image is so dark you can hardly tell anyway. I'd like to see another composite along the same lines, perhaps using a screencap of Jacobsen from The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

6. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

Is this better? I increased the brightness and contrast both, losing some information and oversaturating parts of the image in the process.

[​IMG]

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Still way too dark, and that's not the most flattering shot of Jacobsen to begin with.

8. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

My instinct is that it should remain gold.

SolarisOne likes this.
  9. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

^ Gold it is.

I can see our preferences run in somewhat different directions. ;)

(By which I mean that I'm particularly fond of that photo of Chaves-Jacobsen, and of darker lighting in general.) I might try again with another image if I see one that looks easy to mesh with the lighting of a decent shot of Ezri or Jadzia. (Troi's and Crusher's hair usually renders them somewhat less than useful for photoshopping.)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  10. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

Out of curiosity, from where did the photos come? Did Hounsou or his agent have to give approval to their being used in the magazine, or were the photos part of some existing stock?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  11. Enterprise1981

Enterprise1981 Vice Admiral Admiral

On the subject of Titan characters, you'd probably have to ignore the narrative descriptions of Vale as pettite because all the actresses suggested in this thread are in the 5'6" to 5'9" range.

12. CaptMurdock

CaptMurdock Commodore Commodore

The future birthplace of Capt. Christopher Pike
    I'm re-reading Articles of the Federation, and with all due respect to KRAD (and I think I told him this before) I've always imagined Bea Arthur as President Nan Bacco.

For press secretary Kant Jorel...William Atherton. The man just brings "Jackass" to the table.

I love the suggestion of Dame Judi Densch as T'Latrek...

13. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm. AotF....

Nan Bacco - Kathy Bates doing an Ann Richards/Molly Ivans impression
    Esperanza Piniero - Salma Heyak
    Kant Jorel - Kurtwood Smith
    Jas Abrik - Alan Alda
    Safranski - Richard Schiff
    Raisa Shoshtakova - Anna Devere Smith
    Matthew Mazibuko - Forrest Whitacker
    T'Latrek - Dame Judi Dench (but only if she's doing an American Midwestern accent)
    Koll Azernal - Bruce McGill
    Min Zife - Peter MacNicol
    Ozla Graniv - Anne Hathaway

14. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Not my first choice, but Kathy Bates can pretty much do anything.... :D

A little too young....

Someone else suggested Hugh Laurie in full-on Dr. Greg House mode, but this works, too....

OOOOH! Me likey....

Not the physical type I was imagining at all, but the voice works.

Completely wrong. Too tall, not Russian enough.

I'm sure he could do it, but he's not the physical type I was going for, FWIW. My ideal Councillor Mazibuko is Zakes Mokae.

Not sure why the midwest accent is necessary, but Dame Judi is T'Latrek, AFAIC.

Not bad, but I prefer Ian McShane. :)

You know, it took me years to take him seriously as an actor, because I couldn't get past his dreadful performance in Ghostbusters II.................

Perfect. :bolian:

15. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

Am I the only one who imagines Zife as someone who would seem relatively impressive at first glance - at least as cursorily impressive as Hiram Roth or Ra-ghoratreii? While Americans voted for someone with the apparent impressiveness of President Bush, I expect that Federation voters would vote for someone who at least seemed more impressive.

16. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps Federation citizens vote platform over personality? :)

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

17. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

I'd think that an expectation of competence would be a factor. In voting by platform, it might be essential (nevermind ability to deal with the unexpected).

18. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

I still can't get over the pun with Jorel's name and profession:

Kant Jorel, press secretary
    Clark Kent (son of Jor-El), press reporter

As much as I'm a fan, it totally breaks the fourth wall for me.

19. Judge King

Judge King Lieutenant Red Shirt

Mike Burch- Martin Christopher
    Donna O'Neill- Elie Harvie
    Veronica Fletcher- Anna Galvin
    Erika Hernandez (2381)- Tracy Waterhouse
    Ranul Keru- Colin Cunningham
    Nan Bacco- Mary McDonnel
    Christine Vale- Billie Piper
    T'Ryssa Chen- Morena Baccarin
    Miranda Kadohata- Tamilyn Tomita
    Renna Konya- Chuck Campbell
    Esperanza Piniero- Maria Florencia
    I'll continue later.

20. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Billie Piper?! as much as i like her, no freakin' way!

Mary McDonnell? too young!

please don't!