Has JJ Abrams ever watched any star trek episodes or movie?s

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tmosler, Oct 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just have a quick question I read how all of the writers and some of the cast in star trek into darkness have rewatched star trek episodes and movies to help them prepare for writing or acting in the movie. My question is has JJ Abrams ever watched any of the movies or any episodes because I think star trek 2 would turn out better if he did becuase we all no what happend to star trek nemesis because the director had never watched any star trek in his life.

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Yes. He has.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, he definitely did his homework. I'm pretty sure he saw the entire original series and the TOS movies before making his version of Star Trek. IDK about the other series'.

You can tell just by watching the movie. There was one little tiny scene, when Pike launched the shuttle, he moved the throttle levers in exactly the way Spock did when he launched in "The Galileo Seven"

4. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I doubt so....he once admited that it was star wars he loved.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love Star Wars. I've seen the 1977 film over one thousand times.

I've also seen every Star Trek episode and film, a few episodes hundreds of times each. What's your point?

6. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course he watched some (if not all) of TOS and the movies. Whether he paid any attention or not is anyone's guess.

7. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Point is, there are many star wars fans that hate trek and vice versa.
    JJ once joked about hating trek and calling himself a star wars fan boy.
    Many trek fans who hate the 09 film and hate star wars have accused JJ Abrams of turning star trek into star wars.
    Do you see where I am going with these?

I for one like both but after the 09 star trek film and the kind of shady star wars prequels. I am feeling trek more these days.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  8. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

this video is funny

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfZCnn4Wvig[/yt]

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I think STXI suggests he watched episodes such as Journey to Babel.

10. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No wonder science fiction fans are viewed by many as a bunch of nerdy 12 year olds. Harlan Ellison does not approve!

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I saw where you were going the first time. It's never made much sense.

Every new incarnation of Star Trek has had its share of detractors among fans, starting with the animated series, and continuing with Star Trek: The Motion Picture in 1979, right on through Enterprise and nuTrek.

"All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again." — The nuBSG Sacred Scrolls
    or is it Ecclesiastes 1:9:

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun"​

As for your two camps of fans, all I have to say is that Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are awesome.

12. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That sort of silly behavior is hardly limited to sci fi fans. Plenty of david letterman fans hate jay leno and vice versa, plenty of seinfeld fans hated friends and vice versa, plenty of marvel fans hate dc and vice versa, plenty of fans of one particular band hate some other particular band due to some stupid rivalry... etc etc etc

Harlan Ellison is hardly a model of mature/professional behavior. He has behaved as petty as anyone.

13. Robert D. Robot

^ Oh, actually I totally agree with you, Mr Homm. I almost included a line in my earlier post comparing certain silly scifi fans to certain silly sports fans.

... and the line about Harlan was a joke. Someone once posted a picture of Ellison who was peering out at you and chewing on his glasses with that particular phrase written over it. The image seemed oddly appropriate at the time when I posted.

I just fail to see the logic in assuming (as one poster stated) that J.J. must never have watched any Trek because he once admitted that it was Star Wars that he loved.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  14. Robert D. Robot

Beautiful!

I enjoy both Star Trek and Star Wars. I love both my Mother's sister and my Dad's sister. I like both apple pie and chocolate pudding. I don't feel the need to have to either choose or exclude options to put order to my universe.

15. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well the last movie did come off as a Star Wars style script involving the TOS cast.

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

On the other side of the coin you have TWOK which was directed by someone who had never watched Trek prior to getting the job and delivered one of the franchise's most popular movies.

17. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Ahhhhh Logic and Reason drops in............Great to see ya! :guffaw:

18. M'Sharak

How many? Fifty percent of each group hates the other group? One percent of each group? A bitter few, who are taken seriously by almost no one?

Really? J.J. said he hated Trek? Guess I missed that interview, though I can't imagine how.

Make it more along the lines of "Some Trek fans unhappy with aspects of the 2009 film have repeated slogans to the effect that 'J.J. Abrams turned Star Trek into Star Wars,' but most fans decline to take those guys very seriously" and I might be willing to give you that one.

Possibly, but what reason could you have for going there?

19. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

Actually I think serenitytrek1 statement is not that unlikely as it stands. Consider: If you are a Trek fan who both "hates" the 09 film and "hates" Star Wars, there’s a decent chance that you would accuse JJ of turning ST in SW. Hell, I have probably done it myself and I like SW. :lol: Anyway, such fans would be looking for any excuse and there are a number of parallels. Whether the majority of Trek fans take them seriously isn’t really an issue, since his comment about "many fans", was in relation to the select group already described. Ie. "Many", in this case, referring to a fair proportion of a small subset.

20. M'Sharak

A handful, in other words? (Allowing for a variance of one or two in either direction, naturally.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.