Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheBrew, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Boy, I've had a 360 for two years now and I've never had a problem. I bought one of the old ones before the price cut, too. Guess I just lucked out! :D

2. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I feel your guy's pain. Not that my 360 has ringed out, but the fact that it happened right when ME2 came out. Makes me sad that people are missing out. :(

3. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally I think it's worth fixing the rrod yourself. If you have a drill and some experience with hardware it's not super difficult to do. I've fixed two so far, mine and a friends and neither have RR'd since the fix. (I fixed mine two years ago.) Costs about 15 bucks in parts, not counting if you end up ruining a drill bit. I know some people prefer to keep sending the system back, but losing the system for a month isn't really worth it to me.

4. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm playing Mass Effect 2 on the same Xbox 360 I played the original game on in November 2007.

My Xbox 360 is a beast!

5. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm definitely considering that. I work for a school's tech department, so I fix PC hardware all the time (among many other things).

6. TheBrew

I once fixed a friend's RODD using the towel method, though that is a bit ghetto.

7. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

The towel method just buys time though, it doesn't fix the underlying problem.

8. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just arrived this morning (UK). I'll probably disappear for a while soon. Got to give it a couple of different runthroughs:)

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Initiate rambling: -

Been playing it most of the day now and so far I'm loving it (just broke added Jack to the team.) Instantly a huge improvement on what was already a great game, this is one developer that not only listens to feedback but actually acts on it!

Couldn't help but smile that withint the first two hour I picked up in three Firefly references (New Canton, Blue Suns & "we'll be big goddamn heroes!" :D) I'm pretty sure I caught at least one B5 reference, but I forget what it was.

It feels very weird playing with the same character from ME1 and instantly adds an enormous level of depth. As do the numerous little nods at continuity like the Doctor's story about "redshirt" Jenkins & Kaiden.

RE: the resource scanning. It's not perfect, but it's miles better than a Mako ride across a mountain range, where you're liable to flip over or suddenly veer in the wrong direction at a moment's notice. Perhaps if the scannign mechanic was supplemented by some form of market exchange system; selling excess resources on the open market and using the credits to buy up whatever you're lacking so you don't have to do nearly as much blind scanning just to stock up on one particular resource.

The new armour system is great. I hated in the old game how you'd invariably end up with tons of armour you didn't need or ones that had just slightly different stats but it looked like utter poo. With this system I can implement my black & green "Atreides" colour scheme I've been using since the Homeworld & Crimson Skies days. ;)

The new Normandy fells much more like a real ship with crew quarters, a proper galley, a huge CIC and THREE bathrooms! The personal touches in the captain's quarters are rather nice. I've already got a bunch of model ships, fish, a hamster and my old N7 helmet. I thought having a picture of your character's main squeeze from ME1 was a nice touch (T'Soni in my case.) Not only the ship but the world as a whole feels much more real and lived in with allot less wide open spaces that serve no discernible purpose and so far not a single copy/pasted location! Oh and that Omega cityscape is right out of Bladerunner. Fantastic stuff! ;)

/rambling

10. TheBrew

I did my first party member side-quest last night for Miranda. A little predictable, but still a lot of fun. The mission to get Thane was a blast as well. Even though it is a lot of action, it is well designed action and none of the missions feel the same.

I also got my charge powered up all the way and it is a beast now. Especially when you use the shotgun.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I'm sort of regretting not altering my class from Soldier to Vanguard at the beginning. I wanted to keep everything as was but the combat seams surprisingly challenging with guns only, especially with the number and variety of powers pared right down to just a handful compared to what they were. Not a bad thing since at least now the classes are much more distinct and well defined.

12. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Soldier was kind of a joke in the first game, as you could keep the maxed immunity skill up constantly and it was pretty much like you were running in god mode. Now pretty much every class is forced to use cover. But I do like the variety of weapons at my disposal as a soldier. Use assault rifle most of the time, but if I feel like sniping I can, and for boss enemies protected by barriers/shields/armor, the Collector beam weapon chews through that stuff like crazy. None of that silly crowd control and debuffing, I just get straight to the killin'! :D Hardly ever use any of the soldier skills either.

13. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh... not really. The ONLY difference between the classes is how they go about killing stuff. Outside combat, they're EXACTLY the same. Everyone can hack/decrypt computers, safes, etc. since it's no longer tied to a skill, everyone has the same dialogue options, healing and repair skills don't exist anymore, everyone can wear the same armor, since there's no longer light/medium/heavy armor. It's been extremely pared down from the first game.

14. TheBrew

Which I like. The classes should play differently in combat, but I should not have to waste points in Conversation skills or hacking skills.

15. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

You could always hack anyway if you keep a balanced party, which you should be doing for obvious reasons. I was a Vanguard for most of my ME1 playthroughs, there were never anything I couldn't hack because I always had a tech with me.

Everyone does wear the same armor, but there are still some differences... the different shields that Sentinels get, for example.

16. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing that bothers me about the simplification of the gear and powers is that they haven't improved the action. So they've taken away from the rpg elements without adding to the action elements, giving you kind of a shitty hybrid. I mean borderlands had a much better gear and power set up while still having excellent action. I hope the story in ME2 picks up to make up for this.

17. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This game is nigh impossible on Insanity because of the strange AI issues. It's like the first Gears of War, where your partner would just run into the middle of fire for no good reason... except this time you only have a limited number of revives.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

No words. Should have sent a poet... :drool:

19. AdAstra

AdAstra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just ordered ME2 yesterday.

And I started ME again, to have at least one finished character (Paragon FemShep warrior).
    Turns out my previous game got lost just before Virmire. A long way to go!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I've played over 8 and half hours of the game and I know I haven't touched much of the game :lol: so long which is soooo good. I got Garrius, did several side missions including getting Zeeds or whatever his name is loyalty. Currently doing getting Molan from Omega.