January Art Challenge--MLJames

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MLJames, Jan 31, 2011.

1. MLJames

MLJames Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is the first contest where I've actually felt I could contribute something. Unfortunately, I'm too wet behind the ears here to post images yet, so I'll have to make do with a link:

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/tcjq876gig0swofnfe9deeh7vf8bsmca

Now for the background. The basic idea here is that when World War III hit, Zefram Cochrane found himself stuck on the old Moonbase Alpha instead of that missile silo in Montana. As a result, instead of using an unfired missile for his launch vehicle, he used a mothballed, obsolete space fighter from the 1990s: the Mark IX Hawk.

I thought I would have to do a lot of manipulation to blend the two, but when I began the work I was pleasantly surprised that the Hawk was almost the same size as the movie Phoenix. The fighter was less than half a meter longer. It was just a matter of adjusting the configuration so that the Hawk-based variant would have the same proportions.

So, assuming anyone gets to see this, feel free to beat me severely about the head and shoulders for doing such a lousy job. :) Doesn't matter to me; I had a lot of fun doing this.

One thing to note about the gallery: the first two images are scaled for posting. The two duplicates at the end are the full-size images, drawn at 1:72 scale.

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly your design is prolly more realistic than the original Phoenix design IMHO :) :techman:

3. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice to see another Anderson entry... cool, looks spiffy to me! :D

4. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

awesome. don't knock your work, its better than mine. :bolian: