The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by firehawk12, May 22, 2009.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure only like 2 other people here care, but anyway... Haruhi season 2 just started!

I guess there's nothing remarkable about that. But what I find astonishing is that they're airing season 2 episodes within the continuity of season 1. It's both the first episode of season 2 and the eight episode of the series as a whole.

I guess this is probably the only show big enough to do a stealth premiere like that... AND air new episodes mixed in with old episodes. I kind of wish that something like that could happen here, but I don't think any American TV producer is that clever.

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Whoa, wait this actually started? You'd think there would be a bit more fanfare when the second season of one of the most popular anime out there started up. It might not be very manly of me to say so, but I liked the show overall. Thought it was really funny. I may have to track down some fansubs now.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised that this is the eighth episode in continuity. Afterall, this is the show that aired its eleventh episode first.

3. firehawk12

Yep. What's awesome is that even though they're "out of order", it's perhaps even more thematically consistent.

I also got the impression that they wanted this to be a surprise. My understanding is that the only real indication that this was season 2 was when they announced that this airing of the series would be 28 episodes long. When they accidentally leaked the episode title for this week and they went out of their way to take down the webpage.

It's also perfect how this episode just slips into the S1 continuity without blinking an eye. :lol:

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Awesome!

Well, too bad for me but it's going to be a while before I watch it. Just too much other stuff on the plate.

I'll probably just wait until the whole thing is over.

5. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

firehawk you would find it remarkable if you were waiting for it for 4 years like I have :p

Anyways, great episode. Today is probably the happiest day in my anime carrier :D

6. firehawk12

Hee. In other surprising news, FMP's new season just started as well! ;)

But yeah, I can only imagine the pain of waiting all that time... hooray for getting into anime late!

7. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

If a new season of FMP were announced...well, you would never see my posting again. My brain would explode from the amount of awesomeness that my body just wouldn't be able to process :lol:

8. firehawk12

Hee. My head would have been in pieces right there with yours. :lol:

9. Deckard

Deckard Captain Captain

I've been meaning to check this series out as I've heard and read very good things about it. It'll have to wait though, there are other anime series that I need to finish first (specifically Azumanga Daioh, Chrono Crusade and When They Cry)

I've only just recently got back into the habit of watching anime. For a while it became too expensive a habit to indulge in but thankfully things are a bit more stable now.

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mine too!

That'd be one big pile of brain goo splattered all over the TBBS floor.

11. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

When you do get around to watching it, just remember this. broadcast order. Thats the way you want to watch it ;)

12. Deckard

Deckard Captain Captain

Thanks, I'll try to remember that :techman:

13. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, somehow it doesn't surprise me, Kyoto Animation is filled with bunch of lovable trolls that like to mess with your heads, especially if it involves Haruhi. You had the whole whacked out broadcast order when it first aired, the "nice boat" video posted instead of the Haruhi-Chan internet series because they weren't done with it, and now this. To sum it up basically they were trying to say:

[​IMG]
    ;)

Bamboo Rhapsody was a great episode, looking forward to more.

14. firehawk12

I wish I had access to my DVDs right now.
    What happens at Kyoto Animation?

"That's classified!" :lol:

15. zakkrusz

Indeed. :lol:

16. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Speaking of DVDs, I wonder how they will handle the release (both japanese and America) release of this series. I hope its as an independent Box set and not bundled in with the first season...which I already have :borg:

17. zakkrusz

Well, I don't think it even has a title yet. Might have to wait for another new episode that has a new opening sequence to find out. The next book in the series is called The Sigh of Haruhi Suzimiya though, might be that. If it has it's own title then maybe we can gauge what the release will be like. If I know Bandai Entertainment though, our release in the states here would probabally just be the new episodes. That's all assuming it gets licensed though. Judging by series' popularity though I'd say it's a sure bet.

18. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I remember for a while there were rumors (backed up with stuff Kyo-Ani was saying) that implied the series was going to be called the Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya, after the third book I believe. This was based off of info released 2 years ago though so who knows whats been going on

19. zakkrusz

It could be correct if The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya anime covered more than one book which is entirely possible since I've read the first novel and it pretty much only covers the first 6 episodes. The second book isn't out until the fall so I don't know what's in it.

20. firehawk12

I wonder though. It almost sort of makes sense to have a new box set that integrates the second season into the "new" broadcast order. I can't imagine that they'd go to the trouble of release two different box sets though?