A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It wouldn't really have cost that much to have some wights attacking The Fist, especially if they had a fair bit of fog.

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The Tyrells are going to be around longer and are frankly more important than some relatively minor fight with some Zombies.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They blew season two's budget on the Blackwater episode, they sure as hell weren't going to blow season three's budget on the first episode of that season!:lol:

4. DalekJim

I think setting up the threat of the Others properly is one of the most important things for the show to do.

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They've already done that adequately IMO, no need to splurge money when they don't have it.

6. DalekJim

Different strokes for different folks. They have ample opportunity at other points in the story to show Margaery being a sassy schemer or Loras fucking random guys. There are few instances of magic in the books as it is, so as little as possible should be cut.

7. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

Which pissed me off anyways. In the book, when asked about finding love, Loras has the beautiful line, "When the sun has set, no candle can replace it." In the show, he doesn't even MENTION Renly while at the same time, lighting the first candle to come his way.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

9. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Always love seeing those. Thanks for posting!

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

There's a difference between love and random sex.

11. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Renly and Loras are both hardly worth mentioning on the list of characters who are barely recognizable in the show, but remember that Loras was Renly's squire since he was a child. Renly was practically a big brother in addition to bring his lover (or rapist, some might argue, depending on how and how early their sexual relationship started). I can't see this Loras throwing himself to an almost certain death to siege a castle that the man who killed his lover isn't even in.

But seriously, after the shaving scene their characters were already well and truly assassinated.

12. DalekJim

Just finished the fighting pit chapter in Meereen. The first genuinely exciting Dany chapter in the book.. and it's her ninth. Think it's quite interesting how Dany increasingly views her subjects as savages.

Pretty much everybody native to Essos is a dick.

13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Or a mystic.

Or both...

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

So they showed Renly as a human instead of just Robert 2.0 (which he wasn't even really, once you get passed the skin) and this ruined his character? I thought TV Renly was much more sympathetic than Book Renly.

And Loras...well, he never had much of a character to begin with.

15. DalekJim

Renly in the show was completely white-washed, that's why you find him much more sympathetic.

Loras has even less personality in the show. He's a crude gay stereotype and his psychic powers told him Stannis was behind Renly's death and not Brienne.

16. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Does human mean he has to be a petulant emasculated douche with as much charisma as a cactus?

17. DalekJim

Nearing the end of ADWD. For all the huge flaws in pacing, structure and Essos worldbuilding, it builds to a pretty gripping climax. Definitely the weakest ASOIAF novel, but still better than 90% of fantasy out there.

Hope we get Cersei's walk of shame in the show :drool:

18. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I just started A Dance With Dragons, so I look forward to catching up with you.

19. DalekJim

I hope you like Essos. A Feast For Crows was an adrenaline ride in comparison to the pacing in this book.

I got kinda fed up with the idea of more Meereen so I decided to check out some of George R.R. Martins short stories. Sandkings is really damn good. Very creepy, and very funny. I checked out the TV adaptation expecting fun fluff but it had fuck-all to do with the short story and was incredibly dumb. Which is weird as the writer also wrote one of my favourite TNG episodes The Measure of a Man.

20. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

There was a deleted scene that showed Loras thinking it over and realizing that Brienne wouldn't have killed Renly, and that it was clearly something supernatural that killed Renly (he inspects the armor and sees that the kind of injury Renly died from was something a human in the room couldn't have given him).

I felt more sympathy and humanity from him in that whole scene where he's with Robert at his last hunt than I ever did in the books.