Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Crazyewok, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

not really. he seemed to me like he was just raising his voice so his crew could hear him over all the ruckus. Then an explosion hit the back of his head and he died

2. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't care for it ,it is one I usually skip.

3. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

I think my main problem is that it just does'nt connect or add anything to the dominion war or DS9 in General narrative.

4. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

^ It did get a follow-up in "Shadows and Symbols" which was pretty important in helping Sisko find the lost orb.

5. cannicks

cannicks Lieutenant Junior Grade

so you can't see different perspectives, and presume all see/perceive things as you do? you must be autistic/Asperger's or something.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And maybe his scream (if there was one) was just because he was in pain?

7. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

I think he was killed instantly. The screaming came before he was hit.

--Sran

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Raising your voice to be heard in a noisy environment isn't an emotion.

9. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed, and neither is screaming in pain for a half second as an explosion hits the back of your head.

10. RXTT

RXTT Lieutenant Red Shirt

Far Beyond The Stars is better Television than Hew-Mons have a right to expect.

11. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

I liked Far Beyond the Stars but, was some confused by some of the story. but i really would have to rewatch it to comment further because its been so long. I also didn't understand how certain things happened and how Benny Russel realted to Sisko, but hey it makes you think about reality and what is real. And that is cool for me.

12. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

FBTS is a magnificent episode, not just of DS9, but Trek in general. It is the closest thing to DS9's 'City on the Edge of Forever'. I think the OP is in the minority

13. I am not Spock

That wasn't called for. I have Aspergers, and I love Far Beyond the Stars.

Some of my favourite Trek episodes are The Offspring, Measure of a Man, Darmok, The Inner Light, the Visitor, and FBTS.

14. wingsabre

wingsabre Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I didn't like Far Beyond the Stars when it first aired, however I was almost 12 when it first aired. It was just something that didn't quite fit in the ordering of the season. The episode kind of came out of nowhere. However, after re-watching the episode several years ago, I found that it was much better than I had initially thought it was. In fact, I'm comfortable to say that it's one of the best episodes in season 6. The story has a lot of subtle notes and nods, and I appreciated the acting much more each subsequent time I watch the episode. Plus, it was a fun episode for us and the cast.

In the whole scheme of things, I think Shadows and Symbols changed the context of the vision from open-ended vision from the Prophets, to Pah-wraith interference.

15. I am not Spock

Man, season 6 was a quality season! So many classic episodes. I'd say it would be tied with season 4 as my favourite of DS9

16. eskyliz

eskyliz Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Definitely in my top two favorite episodes of all of Star Trek.

It has so much to say and to me it pretty much defines what Star Trek is. I mean think about it. If you take out all the characters and weapons and fancy gadgets and only leave behind the basic idea, what would you get? You'd get a morality and a philosophy that you could base your whole life on to be a better person.

To me (and many other people) Star Trek isn't just about being a great sci-fi show. It's got so many hidden meanings that deal with our problems today. And right now I'm not just talking DS9. One of the main reasons to create TOS in the first place was to address issues that were causing problems back in the sixties. Giving it a futuristic setting helped hide the real meaning and without that setting, Star Trek probably wouldn't have been aired.

Star Trek isn't famous for being just another sci-fi show. I mean think about how many sci-fi shows are out there and how many of them aren't famous. It's episodes like "Far Beyond the Stars" that make Star Trek different.

Star Trek has so much to say and if all you want to look at is the sci-fi aspect of it then fine. But maybe try looking at it from a different angle. It isn't just cool technology set in the future. It's so much more.

17. Crazyewok

Wow this thread is still going on?

Didnt think it will elicit such a strong response from both sides.

18. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pft. This is nothing. Check out the latest Tuvix thread on the VOY forum. 60 pages and still going. ;)

19. Crazyewok

Another thing I didn't like and Im sure some would disagree and that's fair enough but its the overt racism theme.

Thing I like Sisko, he was my favourite captain. I never thought of him as the black captain, I don't think I really even noticed or cared he was black. Well I noticed but it didn't really stand out as anything special if you know what I mean.

But this episode seemed to use his colour and pin the whole racial issue on him. It effectively made him the "black captain". It called attention to his colour which I think is a bad thing.

20. Mirror Kira

Mirror Kira Cadet Newbie

I thought "Far Beyond the Stars" was mildly entertaining. I can't seem to muster much enthusiasm for period episodes. However, I enjoyed seeing the actors sans fards...though probably not half as much as they appreciated the respite from the makeup chair.