Tomb Raider

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Trekker4747, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

There's a new "Tomb Raider" coming out next year, it's a "reboot" of sorts on the character/series. It looks like it'll be an interesting, new, take on the franchise and the Lara Croft character.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwfdPT0ojgk[/yt]

2. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm really looking forward to this. It will be released on Mar. 05, 2013.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Looks fun, though I don't see too many tombs being raided. :p

Honestly, I never bothered to get into the Tomb Raider series because I just felt like there were way too many of them to get started. This looks like more of a Tomb Raider origin story, so I might just give it a go.

4. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I thought it was just a linear cover shooter, much like Uncharted, but from bits and pieces I've read around it looks like you'll be able to explore the island Croft is on and you can find "tombs" and raid them.

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, very much looking forward to this. It's one of the ones I'm looking forward to the most.

6. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just hope theres less pointless animal killing.

Yeah I know, go ahead and laugh. I'm too much of a hippy animal lover at heart.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^I thought the same about the original games back in the 90's and it wasn't until I played a demo of Tomb Raider Anniversery on Steam that I actually got into the series. Still haven't played any of the pre-Crystal Dynamics games, but I picked up Anniversary, Legend & Underworld on the cheep and had a lot of fun.

As for the new game...I'm interested, but it looks like quite a gameplay departure and I do worry they're trying to compete a bit too much with the likes of Uncharted--which does nothing for me--so I'm just going to wait and see.

8. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I tried playing the old Core Design Tomb Raiders for PlayStation and could never get into them, but I absolutely love the three Tombs Crystal Dynamics have done. That said, I'm really looking forward to this reboot.

9. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a problem with the sexist overtones of the game, but if that stopped me from playing games I never would have upgraded from the Atari 2600. It looks like a pretty fun Uncharted type game.

10. Owain Taggart

Heh, for me, it's the opposite. I love the Uncharted series, and in fact I'm playing the 3rd one right now, and I'm excited to see some new energy and direction reinvigorating the Tomb Raider franchise. What Uncharted did was polish up much of what Tomb Raider did already and perfected on the formula, so I find it fitting that Tomb Raider is now taking to Uncharted to improve itself. It's kind of like a Padawan teaching his master new tricks.

Hah, Cutter, I know what you mean about the animals. Yes, they were rather random, weren't they? Even in the most recent games, they tend to be in rather random places.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Granted I've only ever played the demos for Uncharted 1 & 2, but my impression was that it was a dumbed down take on the TR games. Don't get me wrong, it was very pretty and well put together, but the gameplay appeared to be almost entierly combat based. It felt like a mindless shooter and I really couldn't get into it. I guess I just prefer the exploration/puzzle solving that the Tomb Raider games do so well.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised that with Uncharted and its exotic locales and lost cities that people don't get a sense of exploration. There's a lot of shooting but there's a lot of adventure in there as well. I'll admit I'm light on Tomb Raider (which I want to rectify, I just bought the whole franchise for $15 from Steam) but I was suitably impressed with the adventure aspect of the games.

13. Kelthaz

It's hard to get a sense of exploration while walking in a straight line. A franchise focused on exploration really needs to be an open world game rather than painfully linear.

14. Mr. Adventure

The little Tomb Raider I've played never struck me as open world. Are the later games that way?

15. Mr. Adventure

Never play Far Cry 3.

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

No, not open world like Skyrim or Fallout 3, but it does have large open areas around which you a free to investigate in your own time to discover hidden secrets and figure out how to open the way to the next area.

From what I've seen of Uncharted, the areas are *much* more linear. Indeed, to me it felt very overly scripted, almost like an old rail shooter.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I like the linear nature of the Uncharted games. Honesty, I'm getting tired of all these open world games. I play video games for the stories they tell and for the running, climbing, shooting, and stabbing.

18. Kelthaz

If you're just interested in the story than the linear nature of Uncharted would be fine, but there really isn't much gameplay in the series. When I played the first game I enjoyed it okay, but it felt like the game was playing itself while I was just along for the ride.

In a game like Mega Man the linear design works fine because you have a choice on how to approach each obstacle or enemy and you need skill to overcome these problems. In Uncharted, I was just pressing the X button to advance to the next cutscene and watching my character make death-defying leaps and shoot bad guys.

19. Owain Taggart

They're linear, sure, but then so were the Tomb Raider games. Uncharted just perfected on the formula and while I admit they aren't as open, there are some really nice areas that have the feel of being open, plus there's lots of treasure to collect just like Tomb Raider. I'd describe Uncharted to be like an action movie with intricate setpieces with some puzzle solving thrown in. Uncharted 2 for example felt like a good James Bond/Indy mashup.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^Totally agree. Drake is a modern day Indiana Jones.