24: Day 7 8:00AM - 12:00 PM - Discussion and Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Jan 9, 2009.

?

Grade the episodes:

1. 8a-9a Excellent

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. 8a-9a Good

19 vote(s)
    46.3%
  3. 8a-9a Average

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. 8a-9a Bad

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  5. 8a-9a Terrible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 9a-10a Excellent

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  7. 9a-10a Good

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  8. 9a-10a Average

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  9. 9a-10a Bad

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  10. 9a-10a Terrible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 10a-11a Excellent

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  12. 10a-11a Good

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  13. 10a-11a Average

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  14. 10a-11a Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 10a-11a Terrible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. 11a-12p Excellent

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  17. 11a-12p Good

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  18. 11a-12p Average

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  19. 11a-12p Bad

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  20. 11a-12p Terrible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Braga is listed as "Co-Executive Producer". I think it was Ron Moore who explained this - "Co-" means "you're not".

Interesting that Sutherland himself has been bumped up to Executive Producer.

2. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Like when they went into Haiti, Vietnam & Somalia and probably a few more that I can't remember right now?

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Sutherland has been an executive producer for some time now, since he signed the deal to due the show until (at least) season eight.

4. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

Excellent all around. Jack is back! 24 is back! I missed it.

My favorite thing? Tony's back and he's not really evil!!!! :D :D :luvlove: :luvlove: So, so happy about that! And he's working with Bill and Chloe--yeah! All things that made me very happy. I like the new FBI chick, too--she seems like she's already picked up a lot from Jack. :lol: Does anyone else think there might be something going on between her and Larry, her boss? I'm wondering....

I am a little skeptical about this whole "we can't trust the government so we're running our own operation" thing. It might be a little too far out there, but I guess we'll see. I miss CTU. They knew how to have fun. :p

Thank you!!!! I was trying to figure out where I recognized that guy from! :lol: :D

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

And they all turned out so lovely, huh? ;) Look at the Shi'ites in Iraq - Saddam subjected them to genocide, and they aren't tossing too many rose petals at our boys, are they? Of course, there's always the Kurds - also the victims of genocide, and behaving like much better allies, if you overlook the inconvenience that they are also conducting terroristic operations against Turkey. So even the good allies get us entangled in shit we don't want anything to do with.

The problem with this whole scenario presented by 24 is the assumption that victims of genocide are innocent fluffy bunnies and not capable of being terrorists or using genocide against their erswhile foes in retaliation, once US forces have "liberated" them. Yet in the real world, this is often the case - once downtrodden people are given a bit of power and some guns, they behave every bit as badly as their oppressors. I know 24 gets flak for being right-wing insanity (something I admit, I kinda enjoy about it :D), but this scenario is downright naive and the President therefore comes off as a dangerous dolt. And so does CTU, leaving the FBI deputy-dawgs as the sole voices of reason in this catastrophic mess.

I like her too, but no, doesn't seem like there's any chemistry between her and her boss. But I do like the notion that she is driven to make up for her "mistake" of trusting Jack, and in doing so, is likely to become Jackette...

6. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ I definitely picked up a vibe between Renee and Larry. It's possible the writers were planting seeds that the were having a relationship and then decided against it. Either that or I'm just being silly. ;)

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe there's a relationship. Or he just likes her. Maybe Moss can be this season's Edgar Stiles.

"I don't wanna find the nukes unless you check yes or no on the note I sent you about if you like me!"

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

The long parade of stereotyped IT people in this show is really starting to annoy me. Chloe I can live with because she's funny too and I'll always like Janeane Garofalo but guys like Edgar and this new guy Hillinger are just a waste of good story time.

I didn't care that Edgar's mother lived near one of the reactors and I certainly don't care that Hillinger's wife is one one of the affected planes. The constant sarcasm and sneaking around just so we can get a shot of the sponsor's equipment being used is boring!

9. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

If people start getting upset with the way she's doing things, we can call her Flak Jackette. :D

10. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

I have a bad feeling that plane Hillinger's wife is on is so going down--I bet that's going to be the terrorists' "demonstration." I kind of thought that would be how the final of the four eps on Sunday/Monday ended.

11. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Well I finally saw it, had to pvr it. A bunch of friends email back and forth what we thought of the show, and here's what I wrote:

You know, Tony Almeda was never that great a CTU agent. He’s a even worse terrorist. He gets busted by Jack Bauer in the first couple of hours of the season, I mean come on. Jack is fresh off the boat from Africa, in custody and working with useless FBI agents who have a mole in their midst and he still manages to find Tony with very little difficulty. I’m calling right now that he’s actually a bad guy and will end up doing the old double cross, only to be killed by Jack.

Loved the Chloe “I’m done with men” O’Brien vs. Janine “Seriously, I’m not a Lesbian” Garafolo cyber battle, I could feel the sexual tension raging between them over the information superhighway. Their binary code has no 1’s, just 0’s. Think about it….

I like Jack Bauer’s female counterpart, Walker - was it me or did her nipples get hard when she was torturing that guy in the hospital? To really take it to the next step she should torture men using those nipples, just like Jack does. Little known fact: Jack Bauer has used every part of his body to get information.

Bill Buchanan is one white linen shirt away from looking like a retired architect that lives in the Caribbean.

The best part though was when Jack hit the FBI head guy (with the small penis) in the face with the butt of his handgun while he was busting out Tony. That’s how we do it in CTU, you FBI nancy boy. Go get a new fucking suit and a haircut while you’re at it.

I’m assuming that because Republicans feel their women should only be in the kitchen or shooting moose from helicopters that the new president is a Democrat, so I think the terrorists might actually win this season.

All in all, it’s great to be watching the 24 again.

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Badass CTU vs the FBI losers (should just change it to "ACLU" waa waa waa, we follow the law) is one of the best aspects of the season so far. :rommie: I hope they milk it to the max.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm almost positive the Lady Prez is a Republican. Wayne Palmer, and thus Noah Daniels, were Democrat.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Her being a woman preisdential candidate and worrying about the plights of people living in a nation that offers nothing of value to America suggests otherwise.

It's possible that Preisdent Daniels was W. Palmer's independent running mate, simply selected not to go for re-election or didn't have the support of the Democratic party to get re-elected (because of his Independent status?)

It's also possible President Taylor is a third-party candidate so not part of either the Republican or Democratic parties.

15. Aragorn

Why are some people so hellbent on political parties on 24 when party affiliation has nothing to do with the characters (every administration is exactly the same on this show) and David Palmer's party was a throwaway line in season one?

16. Trekker4747

To connect the show with (a form of) reality.

Why are some people so hell-bent on figuring out where things are located on a fictional starship? The limitations of the abilities of superheroes? How much Dr. House's malpractice insurance costs?

People want to know the details behind the "reality" inside the shows they watch.

17. Aragorn

So does David Palmer okaying for someone to blow Ryan Chappelle's brains out fall into your definition of his political party?

18. Trekker4747

Not really.

19. Aragorn

It's best not to overthink this stuff because the 24 writers clearly don't. Since no 24 president has made it through a full two terms (hell, no one's lasted one full term without dying, being arrested, going into a coma, or having the VP conspire to 25th amendment him), it's pretty easy to just go back and forth between parties.

24 has a war-mongering Democrat (Daniels) and a compassionate-for-overseas-people Republican (Taylor). That's significantly more likely than having Daniels being a different party on Wayne Palmer's ticket or having a sitting president ousted in the primaries by his own party.

Like I said, it doesn't matter. Their administrations all have moles and backstabbers and cave easily to terrorist demands.

20. Trekker4747

But people still need logic and realistic base to better idtentify and "connect" with the fictional world.

And because of that we've the question on what party Taylor belongs to.

So either she's one out-of-step and a-typical Republican (which is possible as you pointed out Daniels was an a-typical Democrat) "something" happened to allow for the Democratic Taylor to run (either the Democrats not choosing to keep Daniels on their ticket -either because he's Independant or his policies don't line up with their agenda) or it could be Taylor is part of some third-party (be it an Independant herself or some other third party.)

Really, all of this is no more than the kind of talking and battling that goes on every other minutia people on this forum fight over.