The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Simply put, the soldiers would never have accepted the authority of a guy that won't even tell you his name.

2. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I have to say that making the Governor batshit insane seemed like the laziest route to go (I'm aware he was like that in the comics, too). It'd be much more interesting if he was ruthless but sane and had the right intentions.

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

A very successful introduction of a new storyline...wow.

One of those zombies--the one that got an arrow in the eye socket--had a Jim Carrey vibe going on.

4. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

The feeling I get, only having read some of the prison storyline so far in the comics, is that the Governor (at least the way he comes across on TV so far) is the typical post-apocalypse bad guy who, before the "end" was a typical nobody who got pushed around in life, but secretly yeared to kick the asses of the people who bullied him.. We see this in the militia commander on Revolution.. Heck, even the bad guy Will Patton played in The Postman had been a printer salesman or something before he rose to power...

As for Merle, I haven't figured him out yet... I too, can see him becoming sympathtic, especially once he and his brother reconnect.. He showed real saddness upon hearing Andrea tell him her sister had died... While he was certainly a backwater racist, I don't think he's evil deep down inside..

5. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean apart from how she fainted the first time she saw him? :p

I did not notice Andrea and the tea thing. Need to go back and watch that again.

And there is no way that 73 people can have a self-sustaining community with that standard of living. They'd have to work like dogs just to keep up. And we saw something like 30-40 people at one time, moseying around town, doing nothing in particular (at the same instant the number 73 was mentioned!). Maybe they were all on a lunch break?

Sure, they can sustain it as long as they keep scavenging from elsewhere, but that won't last forever. Realistically they'd need 90% of their people out raising crops and cattle. It didn't appear that they were doing any farming at all apart from one garden in someone's yard.

If the Governor has all these great plans for restarting civilization, someone should be asking what those plans are and when they expect to reflect reality.

Unless they're just drinking the Kool-Aid.

Or the tea.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, with 73 mouths to feed every day, it's hard to believe people would have time to just stroll around town in clean clothes. Or that they'd be wasting precious water to keep all the lawns green.

But I imagine a lot of that was just done for effect, to contrast the town with the grime and misery Rick and Co have been stuck in for months.

7. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the background there was a water tower so it didn't make sense to me that they would be running out of water. Clearly they have a generator - why couldn't they power up the water pumps that fill the water tower?

8. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Amen! In fact, I'd even be willing to tolerate things that normally turn me off of other shows, like replacing main cast members. They really do have carte blanche in a way that no other show has ever had, & as long as they keep it interesting, exciting, & suspenseful, they could do this show in one form or another for a damn long time

I've never read the comics, but personally I feel a little short changed on Michonne. Such a great character, but it's highly possible that people will get turned off by her behavior, if back story & character development don't come soon

9. Silvercrest

True, they could. Then they'd be wasting precious fuel to keep the lawns green. Same problem.

10. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

it's spring isn't it? Lawns where I live don't go brown till summmer.

11. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was the first thing that came to my mind, as well. No pun intended.

I'm trying to come up with a reason why he would have them. A reminder of what he's fighting against? Some of "his" people? Experiments from Milton? And what was with the head at the top? All the rest were pretty zombified, this one wasn't.

As for killing the army guys, I figure that it's not just he's concerned about them usurping his authority, any single person could try that. But this is an organized group with likely more loyalty to each other than they would have to him or his people. And they're armed, and young, and he's got quite a number of young-ish women who don't participate in defending the community but instead need defending. Possibly from young armed men. I can totally understand that, while he loses the muscle of the soldiers, he also eliminated the threat.

12. Silvercrest

The head at the top was the lieutenant. It looked different because it was fresh.

13. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did anyone else get a "Benjamin Linus" vibe from the scientist? That kept occurring to me, as well as the "Evil" Glenn (Chris Hardwick nailed it by calling him that. I wasn't thinking "Evil" Glenn, but I was definitely thinking he's the Woodbury Glenn).

Not sure what's going on with the tea, but if it was to make them docile, why did the Governor mention and drink some? Unless if the scientist is like "Ben Linus" and is secretly controlling things.

I certainly noticed that Merle was, well for lack of a better term, "tamed" by the Governor. I didn't get the sense earlier that Merle would kowtow to any man, but he certainly did seem to defer to the Governor.

14. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i haven't read the comics, but while my first thought when i saw the governer's collection of heads was that he is just "batshit" insane, my second thought was that maybe he's keeping them for scientific purposes. they talked about how they might think there is a "hint" of the original personality in the zombie.. (although i don't think there is)

he looked at the photo of his family, and it looked like the woman in his bed was someone else, so i'm assuming his family is dead. He might be clinging to the hope that he could bring them back. did any of the heads in his zombie aquarium look like his kid or his wife?

don't know about anyone else, but I got a Gale Beotticher vibe :)... breaking bad fans will understand

ALSO: I LOVE MERLE!!! Michael Rooker is an excellent actor and I'm soooo glad he is back. He's definitely one of my favorite characters and he's barely even been in the show. Nice Evil Dead homage to Ash with his arm

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  15. Silvercrest

Not to me, and that was what I expected to see too.

I think there is. We saw a bit of that in S1. Once when Amy reanimated. Also one time when there was a herd traveling the highway-- there was a child zombie dragging along a teddy bear or some such thing. Plus Michonne's pets seemed to display a bit more personality than the average walker.

Maybe the old personality becomes more visible when the walker isn't obsessed with hunger.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

In the pilot episode we also saw a little girl zombie pickup a doll lying on the ground, plus the one man's wife/zombie from the pilot trying the door to the house they were in.

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Still got 3 pages of comments to read, so sorry if this is beaten to death from here to there.

Yea, I already had a Stepford feeling watching the episode, and then it was driven home with The Talking Dead, "In Memoriam" segment that ended with a placard "Welcome to Westbury, Enter at your own Risk", and then I got an especially major Stepford, CT, USA vibe from the town

I'm not sure it was necessarily wise, wiping all the Military guys out. I mostly justify it by the fact they abandoned their posts, instead of surviving after fighting to the last man. If it hadn't been for that, I would think he'd want to keep the low ranking or easily influenced, at least

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Heard about this show. Haven't seen it yet

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

:wtf:

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

The Governor didn't strike you as someone who would expect you to hold your post until he gave you leave?

If the Command gave the order to "cut and run", it wouldn't've been termed "Abandonment". I can certainly see abandoning your post when all is lost, I don't see the Governor as that forgiving, though, if a "Cut and Run" order wasn't given..