(2011)-2012 NBA Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Alidar Jarok, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Dirk wasn't the only one acting up, either. Ibaka and Perkins were front and center as well, but the referees got it under control. I think the Mavs miss Tyson Chandler juuuust a bit. :lol:

But OKC is looking very good, a real threat to take the West crown. This may not be the championship Mavs of last season, but they are still veteran on and off the court, so to pull out two close ones says something about OKC's resolve and maturity. And that all starts with Durant.

2. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

If the Mavs hold serve at home, I wouldn't count them out...

3. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

My sweet innocent low key Perkins? Never. :eek: How dare you slander such a serene, timid little man as Perk? He's so shy and laid back. Doesn't even have a temper. :p Yeah, the refs got it under control by calling a foul every time someone went to the basket in the second half. 79 free throws total in the game. Holy Mary mother of Joseph. :vulcan: They were afraid things were getting a bit too "chippy" and didn't want another Artest type situation to possibly happen so they clamped down in the extreme.

Cuban's the dumb ass who traded Chandler and Berea so he could go after Dwight Howard the vacillating wonder. I don't feel a bit sorry for him that it blew up in his face. :evil: The Thunder figured out that Dirk's going to get his points, but if they smother Jet, which Westbrook did most successfully, they could get the job done. So far it's panned out. Crossing my fingers. If the Thunder can take one in Dallas, I think it's in the bag. I found the article on SB Nation (which was written after OKC took both games) asking whether "the Thunder is in real trouble against the Mavericks" a bit annoying. The theory is, since the Thunder had trouble putting Dallas away, that they're doomed to lose the series. They didn't win by 30, so they're in trouble. Was Dallas supposed to wilt and blow away like paper? I missed that memo.

4. Borgminister

Things might be a tad different had Odom righted his own ship in the face of his own personal tragedies.

Pierce does a Tebow!

And Doug Collins needs to lay off the 5-hour energy at his age!

5. Dorian Thompson

Mmmmm, I love the taste of buttery Texas Toast near midnight. :evil:

Hope I get a chance for seconds in a couple of weeks.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Thoughts on Phil Mushnick
    s comment about Jay Z's Brooklyn Nets?

I know I should add my own thoughts, but I'm not really sure what to say. To think that someone thinks it's a good idea to write this astounds me.

7. Borgminister

Screw the marketing, hire the Zenmaster. And let Jackson prove once and for all that he's the Buddha of Basketball.

8. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

That may have been a direct results of two of your guys participating in "Take A Supermodel To Work Day".

;)

9. Borgminister

Ah, Denver. The exuberance of youth! I'm sure that'll wear off by Sunday though.

10. Dorian Thompson

Oh God. :vulcan: I heard about her little visit. The funny thing is, that's pretty much Harden's real personality. :rommie: He's such a weirdo.

She can come back if it makes us sweep the Lakers. :borg: Hey, whatever works. If it takes a ditzy supermodel, so be it.

11. Dorian Thompson

Miss Supermodel must have come back for a visit. That was delightful. :devil:

12. Borgminister

Westbrook dishes to Ibaka for a dunk? WTF?!!

;)

13. Dorian Thompson

14. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I wrote in this thread (or it's equivalent) after the Finals last season that the Mavs were a one-off champion and that Nowitski, after waiting 13 years or so would be one and done. And just like nearly all of his other seasons in the league, this one ends with his failure to lead his team to the next level or, in this case, an even competitive level.

Last season Dirk was considered the "Golden Child" of the NBA but in reality he was no different than he was this season. He got his points just as he has in past seasons, only this time, as usual, other than last season, his teammates failed to pick up the slack.

Marc Cuban has to take some of the heat too for the team's failure this season. He allowed two important parts of his team's core to walk in free agency -- Barea and Chandler -- because he didn't want to pay them. That is a huge no-no if you want to win two in a row. Speculation is that he did it to free up cap space in order to sign Dwight and/or Deron Williams, well he may not get either. In the NBA, you don't set your sights on "pie in the sky by and by", that "pie" may not ever come. The league changes fast.

So Dallas becomes one of the few defending champs, if not the only, to be swept in the first round of the playoffs. How embarrassing, especially to a team who was so obsessed with their one championship that their fans complained loudly when they felt the Lakers P.A announcer didn't refer to them enough times as the "World Champion" Dallas Mavericks.

But, the truth is they probably aren't that bothered at all. after all, they got their championship so what other worlds are left for them to conquer? Maybe it is only Lakers fans who consider "one" championship a "jumping off point" and not the final destination.

15. Dorian Thompson

Of course they lost the series after Cuban let Chandler go. Without Chandler, they had no answer for Harden. He could do whatever he wanted. Also, last year Perkins was severely hampered by that bad knee he had operated on. He wasn't nearly the defensive presence on the inside that he can be now. Dallas got inside last year and that was all she wrote for the Thunder. I'm still pleased that they beat Miami, though. It would have been insufferable had their thrillsome threesome gotten them a championship in one year.

I hope San Antonio can do the same to James and company this year. I love my Thunder to death but damn San Antonio was playing like a well oiled, lethal machine down the stretch. They still are, even though it's just Utah. Popovich knows what he's doing and there are no egos impeding the way. I'd be happy to eat my words later about either point, of course. :)

16. Borgminister

Odom screwed the Mavs just as much as Cuban did this year.

Dirk is consistently great.

Just like the duo of Karl Malone and Stockton is one of the best of all time, NBA championship or not.

Looks like a collision course between LA and OKC, unless the over-achieving Nuggets can steal one on the road...

17. gblews

The Lakers have a history of knowing exactly when to give up on players. Unfortunately for Dallas, Marc Cuban thinks he knows more about Lakers players than the Lakers do. He thought he had another steal with Devean George a few years ago. Not as bad as with L.O. but I would have thought Marc would have learned his lesson.

I felt bad for L.O. but it couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch.

He is more like LeBron than not, in playoff games -- meaning most of the time, his teams have failed. He bears a healthy amount of responsibility for this.

Yes, statistically, rather like Charles Barkley, or so far, LeBron James, racking up "empty numbers". If you love stats, these are your guys, but if championships and champions are your thing, well....better look elsewhere (though I do have much respect for Jerry Sloan).

18. Borgminister

Watch out for the Clippers.

19. gblews

The Clippers have been a bit of a surprise. I expected Memphis to win that series. I still think it will go 6 and the Clips will eliminate the Grizz at home.

But they play San Antonio next, meaning, the parties over. However, still have to give them props for a great season, for the Clippers anyway.

Any bets on the decibel level of the boos in OKC when Metta is introduced (assuming of course the Lakers get by Denver)?

20. Borgminister

MWP embarrassed himself on Conan the other night, didn't he? Man, at least fes up, dude--for your own good.

Lakers should take care of business at home, the way the Big Three are playing now. If they lose tonight's game, but still win the series in 6 or 7, it'll make me wonder about their chances against OKC though.

As for the other L.A., if CP3 and Griffindor stay healthy and unhurt, visions of last year's offensive-minded Spurs make me think they have an outside shot. To me that series will come down to coaching and experience, but you never know. The Parker-Paul match-up should be interesting too.