Dafydd ab Hugh

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by James T. Vader, Mar 28, 2013.

1. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The first two weren't bad. The second two went so far off the rails that a Golden Raspberry doesn't even begin to cover it...

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I had no idea about his politics when I decided that he was a rotten writer. Besides, it's not relevant. It's hardly as if his novels had a political point like Ayn Rand's.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or Diane Carey. Even though it always goes over my head...

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

His cowriter on the Doom books, has written some libertarian-flavored sci-fi. His alt-history Moon of Ice won the Prometheus Award for Best Libertarian Fiction in 1989.

Having read Moon of Ice, I actually thought Linaweaver's point was that libertarianism was a bad thing. He posits a United States that turns libertarian in the wake of the New Deal (since it was government overreach), but then the libertarian United States isn't the Arsenal of Democracy in the 1940s so Hitler conquers the world.

5. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, Fallen Heroes. My first TrekLit read ever.

6. Smitty

Smitty Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have never read any DS9 books. Actually I never watched the series until very recently, loser I know. Anyway, I am at the beginning of season 5 but once I finish the series I plan to read some of the books. Sounds like Fallen Heroes is a must

7. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

OK, maybe the 2nd best. ;)

And I always forget Andrew Robinson's A Stitch in Time is listed as #27, because I normally see it in post-series DS9 lists, so that drops Fallen Heroes to third.

K.W. Jeter doesn't get a lot of love here but I liked Bloodletter and Peter David's The Seige is also great. As far as I'm concerned the DS9 numbered series started off very strong.

8. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Well, with the DS9 books, it would be best to avoid #12 The Laertian Gamble. It's at the extreme opposite end of Fallen Heroes.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Pocket also misspelled Dafydd ab Hugh - as ""Daffyd ab Hugh" - on the three covers of the "Rebels" trilogy, and he once admitted that he didn't notice when he was acknowledging the advance cover slicks.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

True story: Many years ago, I signed off on the cover mechanicals for a Damon Knight novel--without noticing that we had forgotten to put the author's name on the book.

Thankfully, I was able to get Knight on the phone before he received the cover flats in the mail!

"It was a mistake! We're going to fix it! And it will never happen again!"

He was actually very good-natured about it . . . .

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I recently picked up a copy of the first novel by Sarah Zettel, Reclamation -- and I noticed that the copyright page says "Copyright 1996 by Sarah Zettle." At least it's not on the cover, but I wonder about the legal ramifications of a copyright notice misspelling your name.

12. Greg Cox

I recall at least one ghastly incident in which the usual copyright page boilerplate about how "This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to real people or events is entirely coincidental, etc." was accidentally included in a non-fiction book.

The author was not amused . . . .

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

That false rumor that Alan Dean Foster ghost-wrote Roddenberry's ST:TMP novelization was instigated by a French translation (of a promotional brochure for the movie) that left out the middle chunk of credits for the screenplay.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  14. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I once got cover flats for one of my BBC books that had someone else's name on... (Steve Cole, IIRC)

15. Greg Cox

I can top that. I once got a very nice royalty check . . . for a book written by another author.

And, yes, I did the decent thing and returned it! :)

16. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've only read The Final Fury, and that was years ago, but I seem to remember being a nerdy teenager upset at the judicious use of photon torpedoes in the book. That was back when I thought Trek would be concerned with continuity and that even the novels would respect that and not use up a limited resource. Silly me! ;)

I do want to add that I loved the "Invasion!" story-line. And Hugh had a Hell of a job following up L.A. Graf's Time's Enemy, which, at that point in time might have been my favorite Trek novel.

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Curse that inability to replicate signatures accurately...

18. Dantheman

Dantheman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought it would be because he also ghostwrote the Star Wars movie novelization, which was credited to George Lucas, and wrote pretty much every sci-fi movie novelization in the 1970s and 80s.

Now that I think about it...yeah, he was credited with the TMP story.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

They're both factors in the origin of the rumor. I've also heard Foster wrongly attributed with ghostwriting the Close Encounters of the Third Kind novelization, which was actually ghostwritten by Leslie Waller.

20. iarann

iarann Lieutenant Commander Premium Member

I might be mistaken, I'm not a lawyer or anything, but I'm fairly certain the Copyright Act of 1976 fixed the law so mistakes like that don't cause the legal issues they used to.