Alien points of view

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by LMFAOschwarz, Oct 22, 2013.

1. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember reading something, somewhere, at some time, about how The Next Generation had to work at giving characters points of view that seemed "alien". The specific example that I recall they were proud of was Worf letting the Romulan die in The Enemy.

Fast-backward to the original Star Trek. They didn't seem to have any trouble with it. A personal favorite of mine was The Savage Curtain. The rock-creature "Yarnek" had allowed the Enterprise crew to watch the battle on their screen, saying something like "...so they too can enjoy and profit from it." I love how he just assumed that the humans will see the value of his good vs. evil test. I mean, it makes sense to him, why wouldn't everyone else?

There are other examples which escape me, but I always liked these touches! :)

2. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the scene in "Elaan of Troyius" where Elaan blithely says, "I have eliminated that problem."

Kirk says, "You've eliminated the teacher. The problem still remains."

She was a great character.

3. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

When Spock mind-melded. Particularly with the Medusan and also with the Horta. We got to see things from an alien point of view.

In Day of the Dove, Marla is concerned about the Federation Death Camps.

4. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

In "Day of the Dove" when Kang's wife is telling him that the life support readouts are getting steady, Kang says, "Cause them to be unsteady." Just the phrasing of that makes me feel like it's a direct literal translation from Klingon or something rather than just finding an equivalent sentence in English, like "Make them unsteady."

5. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Four thousand throats may be cut in one night by a running man."
    —Klingon from "Day of the Dove"

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

^The Medusan meld! I just watched that last weekend. Collos/Spock's little speech about the loneliness of being confined to a physical body, how alone we all are even amongst other people, and how none of us have truly mastered simple communication. Beautiful.

7. LMFAOschwarz

Funny you should mention her: I just watched that episode last night before bed. I always loved her line, "I have given your crew permission not to kneel in our presence, what else do you want?" :lol: I cannot picture any other actress bringing that character to life like she did.

Good one! I've heard it a million times, but I never though of that line like that! :techman:

That is a wonderfully written and played scene! :)

8. Rayna

Rayna Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The complexity of Vulcan culture is an example in itself. We get to see a lot of aspects of it- the rituals, the gestures, the ideology.. Notably in Amok Time and Journey to Babel, but really across the whole series.

9. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Between Amanda and Kirk, two Humans ...

Amanda: "You don't understand the Vulcan way, Captain. It's logical. It's a better way than ours."

Sounds like Amanda has been drinking the Vulcan kool-aid.

:devil:

10. Metryq

My thoughts, also, especially since she tears into Spock and Sarek later: "Logic, logic! I'm sick to death of logic. Do you want to know how I feel about your logic?"

11. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For truly alien points of view, you can't do much better than giant flying brain cells that whack onto your back, or a sentient cloud that consumes red blood cells. We never did really understand either of them. And of course, the salt vampire, the bloodless war of Eminiar 7 (sp?), Landru and his world -- all pretty alien.

12. Corylea

Corylea Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

One of the neat things about "Where No Man Has Gone Before" is that Gary Mitchell's point of view BECOMES alien once he's been deified by contact with the galactic barrier. It's an effectively creepy way of making it clear that this person is no longer really Gary Mitchell, one that works at least as well as the glowing eyeballs.

And I agree with Rayna; I love the portrayals of Vulcan culture and how like-us but not-like-us they can be.

13. LMFAOschwarz

I just remembered today that the Horta's 'NO KILL I' seared into the rock is another good example.

14. Corylea

I thought Eleen's line in "Friday's Child" was a good example of an alien point of view. Maab is going to kill Eleen because she's carrying the child of the previous ruler, and Kirk interferes and saves her. Her response is "I was proud to obey the laws. Kill him first. He laid hands upon me. It is my right to see him die."

Whoa. Guess these people don't think like us.

15. Metryq

Really—abort the mother with the baby. Or was it something about bath water?

16. Corylea

:lol:

17. LMFAOschwarz

In Let That Be Your Last Battlefield, when Bele is explaining the Cheron situation with Kirk and Spock, the exchange goes something like this:

Bele: It is obvious to the most simple-minded that Lokai is of an inferior breed.
    Spock: The obvious visual evidence, Commissioner, is that he is of the same breed as yourself.
    Bele: Are you blind, Commander Spock? Well, Look at me.
    (pause)
    Bele: Look at me.
    Kirk: You're black on one side and white on the other.
    Bele: I am black on the right side.
    (puzzled pause)
    Kirk: I fail to see the significant difference.
    Bele: Lokai is white on the right si..all his people are white on the right side.
    (Kirk and Spock evince puzzled looks)

This one is great. Not only does it show an alien viewpoint, but it simultaneously shows an all-too-human one...the alien point of view becomes ours, at our worst.

This episode is a guilty pleasure of mine. Whatever defects it may have, Frank Gorshin and Lou Antonio knock it out of the park in my opinion, and their performances more than make up for the flaws.

18. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I always liked the Melkot in "Spectre of the Gun". They're pretty blunt about their feelings, even posting a clearly understood No Trespassing sign, unlike Balok of the First Federation, who uses deception.
    Translation: "Hey you! Get off my lawn. I ain't gonna tell ya again."

Kirk and party are again addressed as aliens, outsiders, and a contamination when they seem to meet a Melkot face to face. And since the patterns of their deaths are taken from Kirk's mind, the setting, the actions, and even the confrontations with the Sheriff and the Earps are like something out of an old west movie.
    When the crew finally finds a way out of the situation without killing the Earps, only then do the Melkot address Kirk by name.

The best thing about them is although their level of xenophobia has been seen in other species, these are definitely non-humanoid creatures for a change.