Kirk-Spock-Uhura interplay

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Roboturner913, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

Has anybody else noticed that Uhura pretty much seems to have taken over McCoy's spot as the third wheel from the original universe?

Seems to me most of the memorable character moments and humor come out when these three are on screen together.

I just saw Into Darkness today and although I am not in love with the new movies, there are a few things I really appreciate about them and this is one of those things.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh god I thought this was going to be something else entirely.

3. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

the third most important character in into darkness was scotty.

uhura was only used in all the marketing and promotions because she is a girl.

scotty had more screen time than both McCoy and uhura.

yeah .....this topic has been discussed to death...I even started a thread on this topic here it is

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=200446

4. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The movie clearly focused on Kirk and Spock, as it should. The rest of the crew got a pretty decent spread of screen time and 'hero' moments. Far better than any of the old films, that's for sure.

Hell, Uhura is the one who got Khan, after all. Without her help, Spock would have failed miserably.

5. teacake

Spock would be DEAD!

Uhura saved him.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

No.

It's pretty obvious that the new series is Kirk/Spock/Uhura. Maybe Carol Marcus will move up in importance next time. ;)

7. teacake

I like Marcus a LOT. Sentiment should make me want Uhura in the big 3 but I wouldn't mind too much if she got bumped for Marcus.

8. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Zoe Saldana is the arguably biggest star among the cast so it's highly doubtful that she's going to get bumped by Alice Eve. Plus her romantic relationship with Spock has played an important part of both movies thus far and I can see them continuing in that vein for the third film at least.

Marcus was a redundant character even in STID, as pointed out by Spock. I liked Eve's performance, though I think she was largely wasted after Khan injured her, and I do hope they develop her relationship with Kirk in the third film, but I don't see that supplanting Spock-Uhura. Plus it would put a damper on the Kirk-as-horndog shtick that the new films are really playing up.

I think Uhura is the third spoke in the wheel, though I sort of agree with the idea that with Into Darkness, Scotty was the third most important character. With Uhura her importance was tied far too much, IMO, to her romantic relationship with Spock. She did help out on the Klingon planet and she did help apprehend Khan, which are all good things. But Scotty's disagreement with Kirk really helped frame the intellectual discussion that drove the film. I do think Zoe's Uhura is far more developed than Nichelle Nichols' but I do wish they would also imbue her with more intellectual/philosophical feistiness (sp).

While Uhura has likely replaced Bones they haven't allowed her character to be a pole of debate, discussion, or dissent like DeForest Kelly's Bones was. The films have her being either too lovey dovey, frustrated, or mad with Spock instead. She helps with the emotional aspects of the film and with the newer Trek films pushing bigger emotions, bigger everything it seems, I can see how that might have helped her character rise to prominence. It goes beyond mere marketing, though it certainly helps that a black Latina female is the third face on the posters and DVD/Blu-Ray covers and other promotional materials. It definitely sets it apart from previous Treks and has wider demographic appeal.

9. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Like I said in another thread Bones "emotional" presence of the original has been replaced by Uhura's love for Spock and any debates McCoy might of had with Spock has been replaced with Kirk debating & arguing with Spock instead.

It's not necessarily a bad change per say except my own bias speaking, I love Bones and what he brought to the original show so I do miss that in the movie (not to mention it seems a waste of Karl Urban who is so excellent in the role).

McCoy's role grew in importance as the show went on. He only joined the main credits in the 2nd season.

Although despite being missing from Errand of Mercy, even in the first season McCoy felt like an important character. Obviously I am not really sure how they decided that McCoy would be part of the main team but it seems like a natural progression not that his role suddenly got so much bigger. It just felt like they put in writing what was already there from the start.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  10. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I would have loved to see this trek on TV with Chris , Zachary and the rest of the cast.

Seeing all of them every week on my TV would have been great. More importantly there will be no debate on who is the 3rd most important character.

However I do think in STiD, Scotty was the third most important guy.

I also hate how Uhura is defined by her romantic relationship with Spock.

11. teacake

She should definitely dump him, stand on her own for the next one. Then they could define Alice Eve by her relationship with Kirk so all bases are covered.

12. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

still, the assertion that Scotty has become more an active and prominent character than McCoy is correct.
    (and yet no one claims that he's replacing MCcoy.. and yet he did! even the covers of the last comics reflect that)

13. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

I dig the portrayals that all the actors did, but this topic does make me kinda wish that they hadn't assembled the entire crew in the first film. It's tough to find enough screen time for all these guys, and I think I'd rather have saved someone like Chekov or Sulu for a later film or cameo or something.

14. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

No, that happened too, but without Uhura.

15. DarKush

Good point. Because it is very hard to give all of the characters big things to do while also telling whatever story you're going to tell. Some have to be more in the background and that sucks because the casting for the new Trek films is close to excellent.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Scotty, Uhura, Sulu and Chekov were never more than background performers in the original series so it's not necessary to make an effort to turn the new movies into ensemble shows of some kind.

17. DarKush

I disagree. Times have changed since the original series. Many of the following Trek series (TNG, DS9, and VOY) followed an ensemble format, more or less, throughout their runs. ENT, which tried to emulate TOS with a trio focus, didn't turn out so well. I think modern audiences would be more receptive to an ensemble film, especially in light of successful ensemble pieces like The Avengers and Fast & The Furious.

Plus ensembles would give every character-specific subset of fans something to enjoy in a Trek film.

18. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I disagree but I'm probably not in the correct demographic.
    For all the talk of the ensemble format I don't think the episodes centered around Harry Kim or Beverley Crusher were really everybody's favourites.

In the end IMO, TNG became the Picard-Data show and VOY the Janeway-7of9 show. DS9 probably had the best ensemble pieces.

I personally want nuStar Trek to be about Kirk and Spock. The others can be in it but not too much. Its got to be about Kirk and Spock (and hopefully McCoy) being brave, reckless, heroic and badass. Did I mention Kirk and Spock? ;):lol:

19. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Have times changed or perhaps the trio they use in ENT was just not done well?

I don't really think ensemble or trios or duos are more popular, I just think it all depends on the writing and the character chemistry.

Anyways in these new films Kirk/Spock are still definitely the main characters. Yes there is somewhat of an ensemble feel but this isn't like Game of Thrones where it would be hard to say who are the main characters.

20. DarKush

Fair points CommisSleer and Kinokima. I do think good writing, among other things, had to do with fans' reception of Enterprise more so than the attempt to resurrect a big trio concept as opposed to the more ensemble approach of TNG through VOY.

That being said, I do also agree that TNG and VOY did become narrowly focused. However I think the Picard-Data thing really came to fore in the movies as opposed to the series. But with Voyager, after 7-of-9 showed up the show very much did became a Janeway-Seven-Doctor show.

Personally I thought VOY and the TNG movies became the poorer for it. As for the new Trek films while they perhaps don't have to be ensemble pieces I think it would still be to their benefit if they found ways to give all of the main cast members a spot light and some development, even if the lion's share will go to Kirk and Spock. It also wouldn't hurt to introduce new storytelling methods into Trek. Or rather modern storytelling methods. Trek should evolve with the times. There's a reason the original series was likened to Wagon Train, because Westerns were popular during that time. Now it's the 21st century and Trek should adapt, will have to adapt, to continue getting new fans and maybe keeping some old ones entertained and enthralled as well.