DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the Pre-Crisis notion of the multiple Earth was stupid and out lived its usefulness. It was a good move to ditch it.

However, I'm willing to give the re-introduction of it a chance. More to point, I am curious about what they are going to do with it. Will it be the same as before with multiple Supermen and Batmen wandering around? Or will it have its own set of characters? Will it force a World War II connection to a present day JSA? Or will it be a simple parallel world where the JSA was founded in the present day? Or will the whole thing take place during WWII? Or was the JSA active during WWII and they actually did something about it, giving Earth-2 a whole different history?

There are lots of possibilities and avenues that can be taken with an alternate Earth concept. I'm hoping they will go wild and take risks with it instead of playing it safe and making it more-or-less what the Pre-Crisis Earth-2.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

With Huntress as the adult daughter of Bruce and Selina, there's most likely an offset of several decades in their careers.

Maybe it's now the post-Crisis, pre nuDC Superman and Batman running around with the Justice Society. :lol:

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's Wayne. Levitz is up front about in the interview. "Helena Bertinelli" is a name she's been using and has decided to dump. She's also the daughter of the daughter of Earth 2's Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle.

Looking through the first three issues of the mini, I don't see the name "Bertinelli" being used. She's in Italy investigating a smuggling operation. And as mention by Levitz, Helena called herself "more of a cat person" in issue three. She seems to be a bit less grim that past versions as well. Reminds of her mom.

4. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

The more multiverse we get the better. I want 52 annuals, one from each earth all telling the same story with a different twist.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I like Morrison's idea of the multiverse more: a finite universe of 52 worlds with Earth-0's existence being absolutely critical to everything.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope this Earth 2 is better than his current Legion work.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

DC really doesn't want me to buy Savage Hawkman. Liefeld is joining the creative team as plotter.

8. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Meh.

The faster it gets canceled. The better. Tony Daniel was never meant to be a writer and the current book is an abomination. I'll never understand what was going through their minds when they traded James Robinson for Tony Daniel as the writer on Hawkman.

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Suddenly, some of DC's recent reprint decisions make sense, like the Infinity, Inc. and All-Star Squadron collections. While I'm personally excited by these, I wasn't seeing a lot of relevance to the current state of the DCU in dredging up stories of Earth-2. :)

10. Admiral_Young

11. Broccoli

Bleeding Cool...arguably the most insecure blog on the internet.

Possibly. Possibly not. All we have is a name with no point of reference other than what was done in old continuities.

Again, I'm curious to see what they do this time around.

Perhaps the trunks will be back in "less than a year"! :eek:

12. Admiral_Young

13. Broccoli

DC is doomed! Dooooooooooooomed!

14. Admiral_Young

Nah they're just Leee'd. Does that even make sense? WHAT? I just read the updates to the article. The issue is coming out Jan 25.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't like that at all.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Guests artists on issues 7-8 so Jim Lee can catch up.

17. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think those fill-ins were always scheduled.

DC gettin' Image-ified. After losing his gig on HAWK AND DOVE, Rob Liefeld is picking up THREE titles. He's taking over plotting of HAWKMAN and GRIFTER along with taking up the writing and art duties for DEATHSTROKE.

18. Admiral_Young

Yeah Liefeild seems to be enjoying a career revival of sorts thanks to the New 52. Not really a good thing IMO.

19. Broccoli

Liefeld isn't that bad when it comes to telling a story. He typically has some interesting ideas.

His art, on the other hand....

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Wrapped up my books for the week with:

Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E.- This was part 2 of the OMAC crossover, of which I didn't read pt.1, and it felt like a good enough stand alone issue. The one thing I guess I learned is that the OMAC character is again a symbiotic relationship. Human 'host' who becomes OMAC with the shout of a phrase OMACTIVATE! So there are three beings who do this now Captain Marvel, the Firestorms and now OMAC.
    I'm curious about the threads they left at the end with the discussion between Frank and Dr.Mazursky about her possibly finding out WHO the parts of Frank are that he's stitched from.

Resurrection Man - This issue seems to be an origin that contains a flashback showing how Mitch and the Body Doubles are interconnected. Next issue will pick up in the present and I guess explain the how/where of Mitch showing up elsewhere, away from his nearly atomized remains from issue 4's ending. He is in Arkham. Who from Gotham may/may not appear?