Reap the Whirlwind (and Vanguard series)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by The Habs Fan, Nov 17, 2008.

1. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I'm trying to read and watch the entire Star Trek library in chronological order and I recently finished reading the 3 books in the Vanguard series.

I just wanted to thank David Mack, Dayton Ward, and Kevin Dilmore for crafting such a great series of books and I'm looking forward to reading future books in the series. Reap The Whirlwind is my 2nd favourite Star Trek book that I've ever read (behind Rising Son). It just seemed to have the right blend of action, humour, and character moments to make it the perfect book.

2. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Very kind of you to say, thanks! If you can read eBooks, check out the S.C.E. novella "Distant Early Warning," by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore; it serves as a prequel of sorts to the series, and sets up some things that I paid off in Reap the Whirlwind.

Also, be on the lookout for Ward & Dilmore's next Vanguard novel, Open Secrets, coming in May 2009, and my next installment in the series (not yet titled), coming in December 2009.

3. The Habs Fan

I'll check out the eBook and I look forward to the next 2 books in the series. Will they still deal with the Shedai or a new threat? (Only answer if you're allowed/want to answer that question).

4. David Mack

^ Yes and no. Maybe. Sort of. Not really. After a fashion. But it's not what it sounds like.

Yeah, I'm messing with you. We have some new twists and turns coming your way in '09...

:D

5. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It seemed like the Shedai were basically done after the 3rd book. I would hope that we are moving on to other things in book 4.

6. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Thanks very much for the kind words, Habs Fan.

The Shedai aren't done. Indeed, they are an integral part of the entire Vanguard storyline.

That said, Open Secrets is by necessity a departure from the first three books. Bills have to be paid, etc. I suspect Dave's forthcoming fifth book also will be rather different from what's already come to pass, due in no small part to a couple of curve balls we think we threw him. :)

7. David Mack

Yeah, you two threw me some curve balls, all right.

Get ready for some knuckleballs comin' back atcha, ya bastards. :D

8. The Habs Fan

I can't wait!

9. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It amazing how this series just keeps delivering left and right.

What's really funny is that I've never been especially fond of the TOS "TV Series" era as it just has a certain something that is off putting to me, and yet Vanguard has managed to reverse that opinion almost completely.

It's probably my favorite Trek Lit series next to 'IKS Gorkon/Klingon Empire' & 'SCE/Corps of Engineers'.

I'm really hoping for new entries in the last two series sometime in the next 5 years...

But back on topic.

Keep up the good work guys, it's appreciated.

I'm eager to see developments with the Tholians in the Taurus Reach and find out what the Ambassador was talking about in 'Destiny: Mere Mortals'

10. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

I'm in much the same boat. I really, really dislike TOS, but Vanguard is by far my favorite book series. In fact when Vanguard was announced I had no intention of reading it. The reason I did was due mostly to the negative reviews I had heard of it. The reasons sited as reasons some didn't like it were things I knew I usually do like in fiction, so I thought "Wow, it has all of that in it? I need to get these." And I was not let down at all.

11. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Well, the soonest we'd see any new CoE would be after the print compilations are done. The soonest that'll happen is 2011.

As for the Gorkon, we'll be seeing that ship sooner than you think............ :evil:

12. Dayton Ward

Well, the Lovell gang will have a scene or two in Open Secrets, before they head off to Beta III to clean up the Landru-doo Kirk left behind....

13. Marco Palmieri

Marco Palmieri Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You could say the same about CoE.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you referring to the MU KE story in Shards and Shadows, or something else you can't talk about yet?

Interesting.:vulcan:

15. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I figured that the Lovell couldn't stay forever. Pleased about the manner of their exit, and looking forward to seeing their successor as Vanguard's third starship in residence introduced...

16. Dayton Ward

^ Well, continuity for the Lovell had already been established prior to the decision to incorporate them into the Vanguard storyline. Per the second of the Foundations novellas, they travel to Beta III to pick up the pieces after "The Return of the Archons."

Whether they return to Vanguard for any reason in future stories remains to be seen. :evil:

17. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

JD you should know better than to think I'm actually gonna, y'know, answer this question.... :D

18. foravalon

foravalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ahhh, May of 2009 will be splendid indeed, just a bit over three months into a new administration, a new Star Trek film, a new (and hopefully good) Terminator film, and of course some excellent new Vanguard coming our way. :cool:

19. Dayton Ward

^ Oh sure. No pressure.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just thought that since S&S has already been announced you could at say whether it was that story. But now that I think about it, if you could say that, you would have in the first place.:brickwall: