Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Workbee

Workbee Commander Red Shirt

Re: TOS Enterprise Interiors -- Unreal 3 Engine

@ Donny: a little OT, but when you eventually get back to the Refit Enterprise, I would love it if you would consider using the variation of the bridge from TVH.

2. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

...and from "Where No Man Has Gone Before". But it's nice they kept this viewscreen wall in storage and reused it so we could get a nice idea of the other side of each (?) briefing room and later have the Auxiliary Control Room.

Although it was the same studio set I feel that life Support control from "By Any Other Name" should not be visualized with the viewscreen.
    I believe the "alien" instrument panel from "Spock's Brain" (without the mind enhancing hood, of course!!!) could / would have been something an environmental engineer would look at (and something Matt Jefferies would have possibly recycled had there been a fourth TOS season featuring life Support...;)).

Not to mention that this would be a nice opportunity to draw something cool from this Episode...:D

Bob

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  3. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Not doing the entire ship, never wanted to. My aim is not to "make it all fit", but to make it "look good in real time rendering".

I will be featuring most, if not all, of the areas we see in the series. I also want to fully create and visualize some areas never seen on-screen. But making the "entire" ship is a task I have no interest in, nor the time to do it in the amount of detail I demand of my work.

Again, the ultimate goal here is to use these sets as a jumping off point for a set of single-player story missions (first person shooter with light RPG elements and puzzle solving). This, however, will require time and the help of more people.

If this goal is not reached, I will at least release these areas as a playable "museum piece", allowing players to roam the areas of the ship I've created, and perhaps lightly interact with the vessel.

4. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

Could you possibly be doing large sections, like they did for the TOS mod of Elite Force at stationk7? I believe they did a few decks connected together down around the pool and shuttlebay. And areas connected around engineering on deck 7 following the FJ plans.

5. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.

Boo ! BOOOO !!! ;)

I was just teasing.

6. Donny

Yes, something along those lines. What was released of the "Argas Effect" is very much an inspiration, just as Elite Force and Elite Force II are. Throw in light RPG elements such as those found in modern FPS games, and Trek-fitting puzzle elements, and you've got my ideal game! No game companies will make it, so I shall try. :hugegrin:

7. Donny

I was sick all weekend, so I've only had today's free time to do any more work. Finished the library computer terminal, the tri-viewer, a TOS-style iPad :D, and data cards. Probably gonna add a few more small props for now and then move on to constructing the sickbay complex.

[​IMG]

8. Robert Comsol

It's really difficult to suppress the desire to jump into these 3D environments, push a couple of buttons, talk to the female computer and insert some of the "tapes" to see what's on these. :)

Question: In "Space Seed" this Briefing Room 2 had a couple of sitting benches for other personnel. Were these benches just brought in for the occasion or shouldn't one be in there as a permanent accessory? (e.g. the wall between the door and the viewscreen)

Bob

9. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Donny:

This looks beyond great.

A comment: the chair in the "Kirk" position should be Burke 116, not a Burke 115 like all the others. (Kirk always sits in a 116!) (I do understand how hard it is to do those curvy chairs.)

Also, before he passed away, Matt Jefferies went through a bazillion paint chips for us, matching colors for just about everything we would be needing. If interested, you can find a bunch of pics about those data cards my Flickr feed.

Props for the table top? I might do the tray with the coffee pot, sugar bowl and creamer, and a bunch of cups. And maybe a card reader.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  10. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@Donny - looks excellent :D

No fun being sick. I'm grounded with bronchitis since this weekend as well. Take care of yourself first. Your project will still be here when you get well. :)

11. Donny

@Robert Comsol:
    In Space Seed, it appears there are only Burke chairs around the room (no benches). I count a total of eleven, so it would appear they added 4 to the room and pulled 5 away from the briefing table, while leaving 2 in their places. I also considered adding the two flag poles we see in the courtroom of Space Seed and The Menagerie, but thought it would look too out of place. Thoughts? (I can either place them here, or build the courtroom sometime later and put them there, where they belong)

@Greg:

I have yet to build the 116 variant of the Burke chair. I had a tough time building the 115 you see above. Organic shapes are not my friend! I'm learning to be patient with them though.

@blssdwlf:

The flu was no fun, but all better now! Hope you get over that bronchitis soon!

Here's an up-close shot of the TOS iPad magic slate electronic clipboard thingy:
    [​IMG]

12. Robert Comsol

Please accept my apologies for the counter-productive noise, I don't know from where I got the idea there might be benches.

I feel you should treat the briefing room and the courtroom as different entities.

For one thing the courtroom doesn't have the briefing room table, another thing is the total absence of floor carpet in the courtroom (I prefer the briefing room with carpet because that's the way we saw it most, the courtroom in contrast was only featured with the slick, dull floor which I feel adds to the sober atmosphere a courtroom should have, IMHO).

Bob

13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I would go for a separate room with the different furniture configuration and flags.
    You may be thinking of the chapel used for the wedding and eulogy in "Tholian Web". IIRC, they did redress the briefing room for that, with a stain-glass-style wall, in-wall camera and tons of benches - and would make another excellent addition to the floorplan of this project along with the courtroom! :)

14. GSchnitzer

I think the one and only time (but I'd have to think about it more) we saw benches on the set officially labeled as "INT. BRIEFING ROOM" was in "Turnabout Intruder" when Mister Spock was being tried. I think any other time we saw benches in that room, it wasn't actually the "INT. BRIEFING ROOM;" it was redressed into something other than the Briefing Room ("INT. CHAPEL" or "INT RECREATION ROOM," for example.)

Similarly, the flags were located on the "INT. HEARING ROOM" set (which, of course, looks remarkably similar to the Briefing Room). I, too, would make the Hearing Room a separate build-up.

15. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Speaking of redresses, there was also main engineering being turned into the gymnasium in "Charlie X".

Can't remember what set was used for the theater in "Conscience of the King".

16. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was the engine room again - however, the gym's exercise bars were still visible on the back wall, so it's arguable that the "ship's theatre" was in fact an in-universe redress of the gym too!
    http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x02hd/charliexhd333.jpg
    http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x13hd/theconscienceofthekinghd548.jpg
    Some sort of multi-function room perhaps? After all, a large space solely devoted to theatre on a Starship seems a bit much - how often would it get used?

17. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I'm working on a set of deck plans which are, admittedly, somewhat re-imagined, and I'm including a largish area of dedicated theater space. Though inspired by the scenes from "The Conscience of the King," it occurs to me that an area where you can seat a large group of persons in stadium style seating would be handy for things like full department briefings and training seminar type activities. Use as an actual theater... that is, for stage plays and entertainment, may be more common than we suppose in the 23rd Century. But there are enough more practical reasons to have such a facility that I think it's justified.

[​IMG]

Like I said, not at all what was in the show... But there's plenty of room for it.It's positioned so the raked floor is on the inside hull of the sloping conical area of the lower saucer.

This probably isn't helpful for Donny's project, but i thought I'd share.

--Alex

18. Donny

I'll do a separate room for the courtroom AKA hearing room.

Finished up some more props:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice props! Say, what dimensions are you using for those memory tapes?

20. GSchnitzer

Brilliant!

I think you need little silvery details on the corners of the red viewer hood:

[​IMG]

Otherwise, it's all so wonderful. (Well, it's wonderful even without adding that detail.)