Vids: Enterprise-F HD (and CrossOver Prologue)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Fuzzy Modem, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Fuzzy Modem

Fuzzy Modem Commander Red Shirt

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRS0MZwnvnY&feature=plcp[/yt]
    By popular demand :)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKGS00aq7wE&feature=plcp[/yt]
    I'd love to have your thoughts!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  2. NebulaClassGuy

NebulaClassGuy Lieutenant Commander

*Comment removed by poster*

3. NebulaClassGuy

^

Could a Mod please delete the above post? I had to remove it because no matter how much I edited it, the HTML code I had used in trying to explain the YouTube linking messed everything up.

Anyway, I absolutely LOVE this ship! I came across it on the Concept Ships blog a while back, before I signed up here, but didn't know who designed her. Great job! Any chance we can see a set of high-res orthos of this beauty?

4. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

That's some bangin' Mass Effect music! :lol:

It's actually Two Steps From Hell, isn't it? But I always associate it with ME.

Anyway, looks really... interesting. Takes some getting used to, but I approve.

5. Fuzzy Modem

Glad you like her :) Oodles of extra material here, including orthos: http://crossovercomic.com/index.php...s/Unrelated/startrek_contest/bonus&folder=big

2SfH gets used for eeeeeverything :D

6. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Like I'm sure I probably summed up before, I'm not exactly a huge fan of your design. There are things that I like about her, but there are also some things that I just don't find aesthetically appealing. Composition/quality/rendering wise though, a good job was done, but she isn't going to earn a spot as one of my favorite designs.

The prologue for CrossOver sounds pretty interesting though. Does the story behind the Masters have any basis in an actual legend?

Now that I think about it though, if a ship went missing, would a search not be made (not unlike how the Enterprise was sent to find the Columbia in the original pilot)? It also seems very clear that either spacecraft managed to survive the crash, or the survivors (or the descendants of the survivors) managed to build their own craft, so am I to assume that the craft carried on board aren't FTL capable, or capable of sending a distress call to the nearest outpost, nor did no-one on board who could engineer an FTL drive or a sub-space communication equipment with enough range survived?

The design of the ship doesn't look like any Federation vessels I've seen (in fact, it looks more like a flying city, not unlike Atlantis), so I'm guessing this is not set in the Star Trek universe.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cool vids :techman:

8. Fuzzy Modem

I'm trying to imply that we get many of our historical legends from stories about this world, but that the distinction between it and Earth was lost long ago.

A search was likely attempted, but proved fruitless. The sun is a "rogue" star, and as such does not appear on any maps.

The ship was demolished in the crash, and the survivors lost a good deal of technical knowledge in the following generations.

A powerfully charged magnetosphere prevents ascent beyond a certain altitude.

Quite correct. It's a colony ship, specifically a penal colony ship, though I didn't want to get into that with the prologue. I also didn't mention that humans are not the only race the Masters brought here. Other "aliens" live below ground or along the border.

This is all subject to revision, so if you see any holes please let me know. I'm trying to nail down a final draft of the script by the end of the year so I can start story boarding...

9. JES

You mean like a rogue black hole, that doesn't stay in one place like most stars, but meanders throughout space? That could be a disaster waiting to happen. It's going to one hell of day if the star collides with another star, or encounters a rouge black hole. Not to mention rouge comets. Probably safer from gamma ray bursts though.

If I see any holes or inconsistencies, I'll be sure to sure to say something. Inconsistencies are one of those banes of any series, which is best avoided as possible.

10. Fuzzy Modem

So true. Don't know if your down for a 40 page read, but the current version of the script is here: http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/pilot/screenplay/XO_Screenplay_v0018b.txt

11. JES

Me neither, but thanks in case I decide to give it a go.:)

12. Fuzzy Modem

Always looking for feedback :) The story is admittedly a tad convoluted at present. Mostly looking for ways to imply exposition rather than saying it outright, and most importantly add a human element with characters people can relate to. Also humor. I don't have near enough humor.

13. NebulaClassGuy

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

[ yt]url of youtube video goes here[ /yt ]

Remove the spaces in the bits between the brackets in the above line. Also, don't try to edit a post that you've used the above on. The bbs software will eat the embed.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRS0MZwnvnY&feature=plcp[/yt]

15. Fuzzy Modem

Yay! Thanks :)

Cool, that's what I was going for :) Took me a while to think of a configuration I hadn't seen before. I think I'd have had a better chance in the competition if I'd gone with something more traditional, but in retrospect I think I'm happier having made something unique.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  16. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

Fun video- Was certainly in the spirit of Star Trek. I didn't like the look at first, but as the scenes and music flowed on, it really grew on me.

My first thought was that this ship reminds me of the Oberth Class. The size and shape made it feel like a true explorer! But then that weapon demonstration right at the end showed that this was also the Enterprise. Don't fuck with her!

17. The Axeman

The Axeman Commodore Commodore

I really like most of the HD video, the camera angles and general direction were interesting and showed off the ship nicely, if a little derivative of the stuff seen in the last movie. It all flowed nicely and showed off the ship from a variety of angles. I think calling it HD is a bit of a push though. Also the model didn't stand up to close scrutiny in some of the shots, looking too like a low poly game model rather than cutscene or TV quality. Still, lots of work on show there and looked great.

As for the game video, again the visuals are very nice and I particularly liked the spinning crash of the ship and the particles streaming off it. Some nice work with the fade into the future stuff on the planet too. Not so sure about the dialogue though, that could use a polish, and it looked like the moon at the start was revolving around something other than the centre of the planet. Was that meant? It's an interesting premise though, cant go wrong with ancient races and warring factions fighting over resources, which is why it's the basis of so many games. With something like this you might want to keep exposition and lore as loose and vague as possible to give you lots of wriggle room. There's no harm in keeping people mystified or baffled for a time, the only crime in story telling is to bore them.

18. Fuzzy Modem

Yeah, the video is only HD by comparison to the original I posted on youtube, which is only 360p.

Yeah, the dialogue is pretty rough, and that's my voice, which I hate listening to. Tried doing some echo and distortion, but made it too hard to understand. Even now I feel like I'm loosing my "d" sounds, and therefore my past-tenses.

The dialogue will be re-recorded for the pilot episode once I have that character cast, and so I have some time to improve it.

The moons were definitely meant to look like they revolve around the planet.

As far as keeping some mystery- I agree entirely. Is there anything that jumps out as you as removable without confusing people?

19. Fuzzy Modem

I get the Oberth comparison a lot btw, which is interesting, as it's not really intentional, but the Oberth is one of my favorites, along with the Excelsior, and both influences definitely crept in there.

20. Fuzzy Modem

Damn! You're right! I'll need to fix that, thanks.