One or two-off novelists who should come back?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Star Treks, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Me too. Whatever happen to them, anyway?

2. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

We stuck them in a trunk and mailed them to Las Vegas, we're they're now doing two shows a night at the Luxor (three on Saturdays).

(With apologies to Hawkeye and BJ)

3. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I cannot remember the name of any "one hit wonder" author I'd like to see return.

All I know is, I wish a reputable (imo) author like Peter David or Greg Cox would pick up the ball and run with an ENT season 5 relaunch.

4. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

They wrote a feature for Star Trek Magazine... and were never heard of again!!

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Fascinating comment, in so many ways. Why not say what you're actually thinking? :)

Especially interesting in that Peter David's most recent ST novel, "Before Dishonor", has polarized readers more than even "Gateways: Cold Wars" did, with people wondering how "reputable" he still was. ;)

6. shapeshifter

You're kidding? I did not know about any fan polarization regarding novels other than the argument of their being canon or not.

For the record then, I haven't read those. My statement was not intended to indicate a 'taking of sides' in this division.

I'm really just a casual reader, I read a book looking mostly for good characterizations and story.

At the risk of going off topic, briefly; what is at the root of the polarization?

7. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

Neither of which you'll find in Before Dishonor.

The fact that probably half love it and the other half hates it. With little to no in-between.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Too late -- Andy Mangels & Mike Martin have beaten them to it. They've written The Good That Men Do and the upcoming Kobayashi Maru, which are the first two books in the ENT relaunch. Although it's possible other authors might contribute future novels to the series.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^And IMHO they are great authors who definitely deserve to be put up there with "reputable authors like Peter David and Greg Cox".

10. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who said half love it? I certainly haven't read posts from anyone who stated they loved it, or liked it for that reason.

But we're getting off topic. How about Dean Wesley Smith and Kristine Kathryn Rusch. I enjoy their stuff and they write so well together. Wasn't their last ST book the Star Trek: Day of Honor: Treaty's Law?

11. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ Both Dean and Kris have been focusing on their original work rather than tie-ins of late.

12. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FWIW I liked the book. Yes, the characterization of the new crewmembers wasn't compatible with Q&A, but that was a minor quibble and more an editorial fauxpas than anything else.

:wtf: They hardly qualify as onetimers.

13. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One-timers for me because I've only read one of their books, and yes I know they did 11.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just realized I didn't put down my choice, Sarah Shaw, the author of Saturn's Children. TBH I don't really remember alot about the story, other than the fact that I really liked and was hoping she would do more Trek.

15. shapeshifter

Christopher, I've seen TGTMD, read the cover, a few pages and some reviews. I get the impression it isn't what I am looking for; a good story picking up where season 4 left off.

The title Kobayashi Maru doesn't seem to point in the direction I'm looking for either but we'll see...

16. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm someone who loves Before Dishonor, and I've said as much in a few threads.

I like the current stable of authors a lot, and I like a lot of the one-shot authors. As long as brilliant stories continue to hit the market, I'm a satisfied reader.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Other than you feelings about BD, I couldn't agree more. IMHO the current authors are some of the best storytellers to have ever been involved with Trek, they go up there with the likes of Fontana, Roddenberry, Behr and Moore.

18. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm honestly not sure what you mean by that, since The Good That Men Do is a good story and does pick up where ENT Season Four left off.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'd like to see Keith Sharee of Gulliver's Fugitives to take another crack at Trek.

As far as the TNG relaunch goes... so far it has been horrible. Which has really suprised me, considering the talent involved.

I am very happy with the direction Martin & Mangels have taken with the Enterprise relaunch.

20. Amy Sisson

Amy Sisson Writer Captain

Jean Lorrah -- technically a three-off, I guess? One classic Trek and 2 Next Gen.

She had such a handle on Data and Tasha that I'd love to see what she'd do with characters from other shows, esp. Jadzia Dax.

For those of you who mentioned Vonda McIntyre, I sure hope you've read her Dreamsnake, because if you haven't, you've been denying yourself a real treat. There's a reason it won all those awards...