The Walking Dead Season 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, May 6, 2013.

1. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After he beat the hell out of Rick, Michonne rammed her katana though his chest, & left him for dead. The Gov's girlfriend came out after having her daughter put down by him, & finished the job on him. I imagine they chose to show his bullet wound, to quell any possible thought that he might have survived

I actually didn't see much use in showing Hershel's head, except that Michonne was purposely looking for it, to put him out of his misery. Frankly, that hazy out of focus shot of the Governor over the freshly decapitated Hershel, from the midseason finale was far more impactful to me

Really interesting choice. Don't clearly show a freshly decapitated human head, but it's ok to show it once it's turned. I wonder if that's censor related

2. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it, I didn't have a problem with Chandler Riggs performance, I've seen many a teenager act big for their britches and over dramatize a situation so it looked about right to me.

That said I could easily believe Carl is a teenager by now, we are a little over 2 years in at the time of the ZA, if he were 10 years and 11 months old at the time he would be about 13 by now.
    When the show started he was 11 years old, in 4 months he will be 14 so they have him playing a kid a year younger than he really is, hell Emily Kinney (Beth Green) is 28 and they have her playing a 16 or 17 teen year old.

I really liked the Michonne story line but I have a hard time believing the way her pets work, especially the new ones, chop of their arms and lower jaw and they become immediately docile?
    I could kinda buy the original pets as she had them much longer, kept them a little closer and she knew them before they turned, maybe something deep down within them made them more docile toward her (remember Milton's theory about recognition?) but walking among the herd like that? Nah not buying it.

3. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, that is a problem with the show: writers adding or subtracting when it suits them, but forgetting that once a plot or behavior is established, you cannot flip or forget it without leading to the kind of questions seen in this thread. From the prison gang having no regroup plan (especially after the the way the farm ended / Governor attack 1.0), pets being docile when the rest of the walkers are always on the hunt, to people suddenly not using common sense (Andrea's legs were free--why didn't she kick Milton to the floor, which would have given her enough time to jump on him and do the job) there's quite a number of issues with the writing staff.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Again, we don't know for sure there was "no regroup" plan. It's only been a day or two and at the very least everyone had to seek some-kind-of shelter quickly because night was coming, and further Rick was injured and needed rest. It's a wait-and-see thing right now, I assume the next couple episodes will feature what happened to everyone else in the day or two after the prison fell in "overlapping time lines" and then everyone will regroup.

On Michonne's familiars, Andrea "made one" pretty quickly with Milton's help last season. She captured a walker, removed its arms and smashed its jaw and it immediately became docile and worked to ward-off the other walkers. We don't know "how the walkers work" beyond they only have the most primitive part of their brains active.

Apparently with their jaws smashed and their arms removed they do become docile and work as some sort of "protection" for whomever has wrangled them.

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

That *kinda* works as an explanation for why others wouldn't come to you, masking your scent/noise a little, but her walking in the middle of a herd is retarded. Rubbing elbows with them is different than using them as light camoflauge

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

*Maybe* but Gleen and Rick in the second episode walked among walkers pretty easily just by covering themselves in the offal of recently "killed" walkers. I agree her walking in the herd is maybe pushing her luck a little but it was obviously working.

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I noticed that Robert Kirkman actually wrote this episode.

8. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly, in one scene (in the herd) she was pulling them, in another they were about 6-7 feet in front of her and she was rubbing elbows with her twin which never gave her a second glance.
    At some point she would have to be up or down wind but if they are all around you there is no up or down wind.

When Rick and Glen were walking among them they were covered in Walker blood, guts, parts and were even walking and groaning like them, even with that just about every walker either eyed them pretty hard or sniffed them, of course that made that scene much more dramatic and for that to have happened with Michonne it would have taken away from her "Kewlness" to walk among them, I'm with TREK_GOD_1 on this, pick one or the other and stick with it, stop creating B.S. scenarios to drive the story forward.

As far as a re-group plan, I agree with Trekker4747, at this point we have only seen three people, one thought she was a lone survivor and the other two were concentrating on just finding the nearest place to hole up so Rick could semi recover and they thought they were alone as well, they are probably thinking there is no-one to regroup with.
    That said this episode was pretty much taken right out of the comics and they had a re-group plan, it was Hershel's farm, I'm pretty sure they will re-group there once every little group's story plays out over the next few episodes.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  9. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't get why people like Michonne. I mean I get that people love badasses, but I don't see how it works on this show. She's like one step short of being a Buffyverse Slayer. Completely undermines the whole 'even one walker is a huge threat if you let it get close to you' vibe when she absentmindedly wanders along in a herd of them then decides to bust out the Samurai Death Blossom.

I don't find the acting behind her very compelling either. The kid that plays Carl has an excuse at least, being young. Maybe she does too since the scripts pretty much just have her frown, snarl, barely say anything, and then a bunch of comic book ninja bullshit.

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Have you seen the actress on the Talking Dead? She is completely different in real life, so I would say her acting is quite good.

11. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the kid did ok. He got incredible lucky about 3 times. That's what was hard to get past.

12. Mojochi

No, we don't know for sure, but it's leaning heavily in that direction. After returning to the prison, which suggests no intention of heading to a rendezvous point, Michonne is wandering about the woods & assuming she's on her own again, until she has a teary breakdown in finding just two of the group, tracking random footprints, and finding them in a place they likely would not have planned for a regroup. It was only 3 of them, but their attitudes seemed hopeless in a way that suggested they had no intention of following a plan to reassemble

They could have had one & everyone abandoned it, or never succeeded in it, or there was never one. I figure it will go unmentioned, & I'll get over it. It's not too terribly major anyhow. Time will tell, but it really does seem like any reassembling will occur by chance, because it will provide a more satisfying dramatic tone than simply falling back on plan B, which any believable survivalist group would traditionally have

I'm also figuring this was done so that time enough will pass in some cases that the group dynamic will change. Even Rick has concluded that the way things had been will likely never be again. Even if they find some familiar faces out there, it will be a different group. Hell, I'm pretty sure the Gov's sister acquaintances, Lily & Tara are still out there & may fall in with some of our regulars

13. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I caught her on Conan. She seemed super shy. I wouldn't mind seeing her in a different role but I don't think I recognize her from anything else.

14. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.

15. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Good observation. You prove the jail gang did not have a rendezvous, when any seasoned group would have...especially after the experiences with the collapse of the farm, and the Governor's first attack (season 3).

In fact, why did they run off in the wild blue yonder when it was not necessary? The Governor's small group was largely dead by the time Daryl destroyed the tank, so they did not have to run far.

I agree, but even with a plan, that does not eliminate the dangers running around / opportunity for drama.

I see Daryl being fed up with much of everything; after Carol was forced out to the 4 corners of the world, and no one at the prison (if she ever tried to return), he has every reason to see the world like Carl: bad "leadership" leads to disaster every step of the way.

16. Mojochi

I think it was because the prison was overrun with walkers shortly thereafter. They're everywhere by the time Michonne comes back, & not only had they spent much of their ammo & been split up, the fence had been run down by The Gov's army (Which was a pretty stupid strategy, come to think of it) WTF were they going to do with a fenceless prison? :lol:

Still, a lot of the drive for that attack was all nutsy Governor thinking anyhow.

I didn't mind that Michonne managed to walk among the zombies so much. I mean, it was a bit of a stretch, & they could have minimized that a bit had they covered her up in some guts like Rick & Glen in S1, but still, I'll get over that too. I clump that one in with the mystery of what zombies can & can't do. They get a little bit of slack where the sci-fi angle comes in, imho

I usually only call to attention when the common sense character consistency is a bit thin

17. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

She was way more lively on Talking Dead.
    I actually thought that the whole cast was strangely quiet on Conan. Maybe something to do with having too many guests on.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I'll have to watch it again. I thought he seemed to be conscious, implying that he would bounce back yet again.

19. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's definitely dead. He got a bullet to the head, a stabbing, and a beating.

20. Mojochi

I'm actually surprised he wasn't walker food :wtf:

Then again, we only saw a head shot (No pun intended) :lol: