Captain Robau: Should He Be Further Explored in Books and even on TV?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by cooleddie74, Sep 15, 2009.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Four months and an odd number of days after the premiere of TREK XI in theaters, it seems the Robau thing hasn't died for varying reasons both comical and serious. The character has a pull that is oddly magnetic considering Faran Tahir is on screen for barely five or six minutes at the very start of the movie and then is killed by a giant, spring-loaded Romulan can opener through the chest.;) But the Robau Rage continues in the BBS as well as a few other sites online in varying degrees of intensity. I've even seen Robau joked about and mentioned by others on Twitter wholly independent of comments I and other BBS regulars make over there.:techman:

Should we get Robau/USS Kelvin backstory novels down the road? Should there even be an online-exclusive short film made about him with Paramount's blessing seeing as Tahir's character seems to have something of a stable and healthy cult following...and even HE seems to be aware of it based on some supposed questions he was asked around the time of the premiere? I doubt an all-new STAR TREK television series would ever focus on Captain Robau, George Kirk and the Kelvin despite the wonderful story potential for such a ship and senior officers...but who here would welcome such a show WERE the stars to align the right way?

Discuss...and don't forget...The Robau is watching what you say.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Captain Robau: Should He Be Further Explored in Books and even on

MORE ROBAU! MORE, I SAY!

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

A total of roughly 50 people making some fan fuzz about a character killed off in the first 5 minutes... yeah, that's going to give one hell of a reason to create a TV show.

4. SheliakBob

SheliakBob Commander Red Shirt

Well, hell! I'd watch it if they made it. Robau and the Kelvin were damn near the only things coming out of "The Abomination" that I genuinely liked.
    Sadly, I find it unlikely that there really is enough support for any film projects--fan or otherwise. Which is a shame, 'cause Faran Tahir seriously does rock in the role and I'd like to see more of him in Trek.
    Novels, on the other hand, are not at all unlikely. More than a few minor characters that have fan followers have managed to get fuller treatment in print than they did on the screen. I think it's not just likely, but very nearly inevitable that we will see Robau and George Kirk and crew again between the covers of a book. The only real question is, how long will it take?
    Join me, if you will, in the chant of invocation: ROBAU NOW! ROBAU NOW! um. please?

5. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fuck yes.

6. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I've heard of worse reasons to make a television show.

However, I sort of agree with the quoted poster. A television show is not needed; though it would be an interesting series of books.

7. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the foundations of modern media, along with the fabric of reality, will tear itself asunder from the incalculable awesomeness of the force of nature that is Captain Robau.

For the sake of all that was, is and what shall be, Captain Robau must be contained in those few incredible moments we saw him in Star Trek.

8. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

I think it's a great idea....animated, live, books, whatever. Though a lot of it is comical, maybe Robau represents what Trek really needed....a new, kick-ass character, and not a rehash.
    I'd love to see a prequel centering around Robau and his crew, on the Kelvin.

9. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I said several months ago that if TPTB greenlight a series it should be the adventures of Robau, George Kirk and the USS Kelvin crew. It would take advantage of the popularity of the new movie without interfering with the filmed adventures.

10. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, it worked for Boba Fett! Across two films he basically had the same amount of screen time as Robau, yet he's getting a show in 2011. If Robau gets a TV show due to books, comics, and other non-filmed media, then so be it. Never say never in the world of fiction.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I would go for that.

Although... the fact we already know the fate of all three would probably make it hard to create any true sense of jeopardy on the show.

12. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree with Sector 7 but disagree with davejames. We knew the outcome of Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, but we can still enjoy Clone Wars and Episodes 1-5 RIGHT? I mean just because we know that at the end of ROTJ the heroes are still alive and Vader dies with the Emperor, doesn't limit enjoyment of the original Star Wars or Empire Strikes back or any of the other OT stuff, let alone anything Prequel (although that is debatable by some)

I think it would give us a good look at the "NuTrek" universe, clearly they had much more badass ships than anything we've seen previously and y'know it would give us a chance to see a Pre-TOS/Post-ENT crew in action, that ISN'T aboard a ship called "The Enterprise" hell they could even throw in some early Pike as a Cadet too. Give Scott Bakula and Jolene Blalock a guest starring role in the pilot/first episodes just to "pass the torch". Have Shatner as George Kirk's dad maybe.

I think a very limited series would be a very cool thing. It would give us some new Trek on TV, would NOT interfere with the next NuTrek movie nor would it really interfere with other Prime timeline stories. Its a safe series, and I think Faran Tahir could easily lead a cast. If the show does well for maybe a 6-8 episode run, then maybe it could be renewed. Set it long enough before Star Trek XI so that you could maybe have at least 4-5 years. TOS introduced the whole 5 year mission thing. Maybe the Kelvin was nearing the end of its 5 year mission. So set it right at the beginning. If it really takes off, then let it keep going up until it encounters the anomaly in STXI and end the story there.

Its a ship and a crew we already know now. Albeit briefly, but we're still familiar with them.

Make it like a badass BSG/SGI/Trek style show and we'll have lightning in a bottle.

A bottle of redmatter we call. ROBAU

13. cooleddie74

Besides, if the early voyages of the Kelvin happen a good number of years prior to Nero's arrival in the Prime timeline then we'd have more than a few years' worth of stories to tell before you-know-what happens to everyone on the ship. When Faran Tahir was interviewed by TV Guide Channel before the movie's release, he and the narrator of the show insinuated that Robau had been some sort of Federation diplomat or ambassador before becoming a captain in Starfleet and he had a rather extensive if unspoken background going into the film. That would be fun to explore.

14. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I think the ultimate fatalism that would surround any such series would be fascinating, but I don't think it will get green-lit or that such a series would work. The George Kirk actor is now Thor, and I think Faran Tahir might be more of a movie actor (correct me if I'm wrong). Recasting Robau would kill some of the Robau mystique.

On the other hand, books are a great idea. I think stories about the Federation twenty-five years before Kirk's time would be magnificent and have a ton of potential.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  15. cooleddie74

Yeah. As if most other TV series over time were made because their subject matter was universally known and mega-popular.:lol:

On any given day, networks air shows with far less reason to exist than a new TREK spinoff with a little-known captain.

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean like recasting Kirk and Spock?

17. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

All he's done so far is get his ass getting kicked and him die.

18. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All Capt. Harriman did was get weak in the knees and stumble repeatedly over his command. And yet he's got a line of books. Granted, he's not getting a show anytime soon, but the books are for those that are interested.

Also, not a personal dig at you, but I thought it was funny that your post comes from someone who shares the name of a villain who keeps getting his ass kicked and dying anyway :) But he returns due to popular demand!

19. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I can easily see Captain (or Commander or Lieutenant) Robau getting some novel time, and perhaps a comic or graphic-novel series, but I really can't say I see a television series being very likely.

Give it a rest. Kirk and Spock are not the subjects of this thread.

20. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I could definitely get into a Captain Robau series. But it MUST be set in the prime universe, where Robau and George are alive, well and kicking ass across the galaxy. It should pick up right where the movie begins, only no Narada. This way people won't be spending the entire series waiting for him to get killed; Which of course he doesn't in the prime universe. Running it concurrently with the new movies would be worth it alone, just to see how confused everybody gets When Jim has a father then doesn't have a father, Vulcan's there then it's not; But hey, weird is part of the job.