What was the first Trek book you remember reading?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by SimpleLogic, Sep 12, 2012.

1. trash80

trash80 Commander Red Shirt

The Maximum Warp duology.

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I wish I could...

3. Hugh Cambridge

Hugh Cambridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In french : the galactic whirlwind
    In English : ship of the line.

Perhaps I should reread TGW, because the editor used to shorten the books while translating them :klingon:

4. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I remember reading Q-Space not long after it came out, but then for whatever reason could never find the second book. I re-read the Q Trilogy about a year ago, and didn't really recall a lot of it. I think maybe I read the Peter David Worf SFA books before this, though.

However, that was basically a singular episode. A few years later I remember - but not which order - picking up Maximum Warp and Do Comets Dream?. At the time I read it, I remember really liking Do Comets Dream?. I should give it a reread soon. So I think Q-Space is my first, but the latter two are probably the ones that got me started on the Trek books.

5. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I remember that thx first Trek book I read was "Capture The Flag" by John Vornholt. I was about 10 when I first read it, and I remember seeing ads in the back of some Hardy Boys books, and then I asked Santa for the book (and Atlantis Station) for Christmas. Both books were under the tree Christmas morning.

6. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

Encounter at farpoint or Imazadii, I can't remember the order.

7. CNash

CNash Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I don't really remember the first Trek novel I read. If I had to guess, I'd say it was either Jeri Taylor's "Mosaic", or Diane Carey's novelisation of "Flashback".

8. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Pretty sure it was either Crossover or Federation. I remember going to the library and was astounded at how many Star Trek novels were in circulation. This was back in the mid 90's. I went back recently and couldn't find any Star Trek novels. Times are a changin.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

She actually just won a Hugo last week for her novella "The Man Who Bridged the Mist".

10. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

My first one would have been the first James Blish adaptation, when it first hit the stands.

11. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was either one of the Blish or Foster novelizations. Can't remember which one I picked up first way back in grade school.

12. Nightcreature

Nightcreature Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Final Frontier by Diane Carey and Enterprise: The First Adventure by Vonda McIntyre.

I've read many Trek books since than and these two are still my favorite Trek novels.

13. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kind of odd how this got to four pages even after linking the old thread :p.

14. CNash

CNash Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Same here. I used to look forward to borrowing the latest numbered TNG or DS9 novel from my local library, but now I'd be very lucky to find any tie-in books at all, let alone Trek.

15. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

First Destiny book:bolian:

16. Ó Méith

Ó Méith Lieutenant Red Shirt

The abridged version of Generations, when I would have been 11.

17. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really? That's fantastic. I knew the list was out, but I've only had a chance to glance at it thus far.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Kij has won a couple of Nebulas, too, as well as several other awards. She's mostly concentrating on her original work these days, including two acclaimed fantasy novels based on Japanese myths and legends.

19. DaveR

DaveR Commander Red Shirt

My first one was Web of the Romulans, bought at a Ben Franklin's for a trip to take my brother to college back in 1983. Had just seen TWOK on HBO shortly before that.

20. jedimaster

jedimaster Ensign Red Shirt

A friend at school knew that Iwas a big ST fan and gave me a copy of new frontier: house of cards.

I was so p!$$€d at the cliffhanger because I had no idea where to get the rest of the series in 1999!:mad:

Thanks to all the lads at Amazon for making it easy to spend my money on ST novels.