Did Pete even make sense?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Morpheus 02, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unfortunately, sweet Samantha Carter has had problems having a boyfriend (let alone a husband!). I thought Martouf (as played by JR Bourne) was an EXCELLENT match for the character & actress. I saw the first episode where he was intorduced a while back, and the romnce was completely believeable to me from the beginning. I was very sd when he died.

But Pete???? Where did he come from? Did anyone feel like they really clicked?

To me, it just seemed so forced...trying to get a "real world" person in the Stargate show.

Was the main reason he was on the show because he was Peter DeLuise's brother?

Now, as far as I can tell, he's a nice guy, and he's actually a god fit for comedy shows like Disney's "Wizards of Waverly Place", or even some other character in the Stargate Franchise.

But Samantha's boyfriend?

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think that was kind of the point. He was a terrible match for Carter, and everybody knew it.

3. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Wasn't he also one of Dick's students on 3rd Rock from the Sun?

4. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Opposites attract and he was only four eps. and I thought Carter treated him rather badly dumping him like she did. But I had no real problem with him, had the series ended after the eighth season and they were married at least Carter might've had something of a happy ending. But towards the end of the show we saw the main characters getting awat from the SGC more and more and Pete was just an attempt to get Carter out the SGC from time to time.

5. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

I actually found his relationship with Carter to be one of the more believable on the show. The Martouf stuff was just creepy. He's a man with a parasite in his head, and the only really she's attracted to him anyway is because she had a parsite in her head, and so she her those residual feelings. Was Pete really a bad match, or were the shippers just QQing because she wasn't with Jack? Carter has always been an emotional retard anyway, so it was never going to work either way.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not a Carter/O'Neill shipper, but I think Pete really was a bad match. However, I think the intention was to make him a bad match.

7. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Pete was better for Samantha than Jack O'Neill.

A normal human being with a normal job and a normal life capable of actually expressing his feelings for Sam without worrying about military propriety...or for that matter having a snake in his head.

He doesn't deserve the negativity I've seen heaped on him since his appearance, most of it motivated by fanatical Sam/Jack shippers with no imagination.

Pete was fine. There was nothing forced or off about the relationship.

8. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^That's true, but I just didn't like him all that much.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Ultimately, the real problem with Pete was that Sam never really wanted him in the first place. I think Sam was just so desperate for a relationship, and she figured Pete was a nice enough guy, that she just went for it. Pete on his own was a fine character, but he and Sam were never going to work out.

10. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Pete felt forced, it was an attempt to make it look like Sam had a love life, which was incredibly lacking in the show.

I am for the Martouf relationship, even though really the feelings come from Jolinar, I still felt like Sam herself was developing a love for him seperate of that. They certainly could have molded it that way. I'm let down that Sam never really got a solid relationship on the show, and I thought Martouf would have been perfect. I really liked his character. He seemed like a rational Tokra unlike others.

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

He made her whistle in the elevador, no other man on the show made her do that But she dumped him after telling him the whole truth, which made her look bad to me. It really showed that the writers were ready yet to write interpersonal relationships on the show.

Of course I have to wonder how different the role might've been had Ben Browder taken the part.

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I only clicked on this thread to find out who Pete was. :o

13. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

I'm not a Jack/Sam shipper per se, or anything like it, really, but the amount of hinting at a relationship between them over the course of eight seasons, and then sprinkled in throughout the remainder of the franchise to-date, just seemed really silly to me.

I'm not as well-versed on my franchise lore as I used to be, but didn't Sam insinuate she was with Jack at some later point into SGA or something, too? Except I seem to remember it was written as, "it could well be Jack! But maybe not." It's just like... good lord, man. Stop teasing the poor people, stop teasing the poor characters too (yes, i know they don't exist, but geez!), and if you are going to finally state that she might be with him, freaking show it so the shippers can all unanimously quiet down into a bunker of pure transcendence and the matter can at last be laid to rest.

The last few years of the franchise had major problems with showing all sorts of things, though, really, so it's no big surprise I guess.

14. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

I think the thing in Atlantis may have been cut. Probably just Mallozzi throwing the shippers a bone. He's one of them afterall.

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I'm beginning Season 10 now, on my first full rewatch. shortly after dumping Pete, she was hanging out at O'Neill's house, and O'Neill's CIA (I think?) girlfriend dumped him, because it was obvious he loved Sam, and Sam does imply in S9 that she's in a relationship, so, yea, I think it's pretty clear they got together