Amok Time doesn't make sense.

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Lt. Uhura-Brown, May 14, 2013.

1. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I don't mind it, they're not human, why should they think or act like humans in their culture?

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. I think the ceremony was going the way it usually went, as expected, until T'Pring held out her hand and stopped Spock from ringing the gong.

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

One really wonders how much of this ceremony would have been part of routine pon farr management for the average Sjoek and T'Jane, and how much was unique to

a) a member of the exalted family of Sarek (or T'Pring's no doubt equally exalted lineage)
    b) an inhabitant of Shi'Kahr, a potential backwater with quaint folkways
    c) a member of the strange cult that still practices telepathic bonding against modern Vulcan ways

I really doubt every family could afford such an arena. And we didn't exactly see more than one next to Shi'Kahr - is it a single-family town, if not literally, then in the old Western style of being utterly ruled by the Boss Man and his sons (or perhaps the Boss Lady and her daughters)? Is T'Pau perhaps a native of Shi'Kahr? Is she a member of Spock's family, or T'Pring's, or even both?

Quite probably, all Vulcans take their pon farr shame to as distant a location as possible. Perhaps Shi'Kahr, on the edge of the desert, is a popular site for sex tourism because nobody goes there for any other reason? And Sarek's family just runs the ancient grounds for a variety of customers.

Timo Saloniemi

4. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

I agree that the place was unusual. We saw another marriage in ENT's "Home" taking place in the backyard of a house so I guess that Sarek being an influential figure has something to do with it. Vulcan is a meritocratic and not an egalitarian society so people with better skills, a better job and more power and responsibility also get fancier stuff like this place and the presence of T'Pau.

5. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry for being late on the reply -- had other things going. Yes, I did watch and listen to the episode.

Of course, Kirk didn't realize it was a duel to the death initially... but even still after he learned of this, he was now aware that there would have to be a death in the outcome. Why even continue, knowing how Spock has the Vulcan strength advantage? He should have declined and appealed to T'PAU because he was NOT informed of the death requirement.

So Kirk took a huge risk going forward, as Spock would've killed him due to his mental state. In my interpretation, I believe Kirk was going for the angle of hoping to disable Spock in some way and then not go through with the killing, call it a draw.

I never suggested otherwise--of course it was prudent for Bones to try something. He did take a huge gamble. Spock was strangling Kirk and then Kirk goes limp due to the neural paralyzer injection. But Spock could've easily snapped Kirk's neck once his resistance went slack. Thankfully Spock didn't keep applying pressure and stopped once Kirk had passed out.

Anyway, I probably came across a bit more harsh than I intended.

6. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Oh, no problem. What I got from your other post was that you missed those two sentences, if they were gone it would change the whole meaning of his involvment.

7. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

of course, this episode makes sense.

8. RPJOB

RPJOB Commander Red Shirt

Spock mentions that the arena has been in his family land for two thousand Earth years. In that time I would imagine that his family has grown quite large. I imagine that it would be used for first marriages, such as Spock and T'Pring or Sarek and the mother of Sybok. Sarek's later weddings to Amanda or Perin were probably much less elaborate affairs. If each member of the family (or just the males as T'Pring is not at her family's shrine but at Spock's) on;y uses the space once in a lifetime it could be used by thousands of members of Spock's family over time. We may cut off our definition of family at Second or third cousin. Vulcan's may big much larger. In Yesteryear Spock impersonated a cousin and Sarek didn't recognize him but accepted him at his word. When your family numbers in the tens or hundreds of thousands you may nor be able to know even a fraction of them. We don't even know that the city in the background is actually Shi Kahr. It's based on the appearance from the animated series but it may be a typical design for cities of that size. Vulcan cities may be much more homogenous that Earth cities. Spock's family may have fist settled there but they are now probably spread all over the planet.

9. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm bringing this thread up to ask a simple question. While Pon Farr still confuses me like mad, I'll ignore that for now. What I want to know is, how did Kirk and company get away with tricking T'pau's entire party into thinking Kirk was dead? I'm not sure how pleased T'pau would be to know that there was no duel to the death after all, and that Bones tricked everyone into thinking Kirk died.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It might be splitting the line but people can die and be brought back say via defibrillator.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Then they weren't dead, only their heart stopped. ;)

12. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

T'Pau apparently seemed pretty okay about it considering she greased the wheels which let Kirk off the hook for violating orders to come to Vulcan. Honor and tradition were satisfied and she learned that Human friends were awesome to have. The outcome of the challenge would be no different had Kirk actually died and since he didn't, an upstanding Vulcan guy named Spock avoided going to the pokey.

Win-win. I'm sure T'Pau had a lot of crap covered up on her watch. This solution avoided repercussions that would have opened up their secret traditions to lot of people who wouldn't get it.

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They ended up revealing it to the general culture anyways. Probably they sucked it up and figured "Eh, being all secretive and stuff nearly got this innocent guy killed and would've messed up some major political stuff. We may as well just admit the truth and stop being babies over it."

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

As T'Pau had already bent the rules by allowing Kirk to compete ("our laws are not binding on thee"), I don't think she would have had any room to complain when it turned out Kirk's death was faked. It was McCoy's trick anyway, Kirk didn't know he'd been given a mickey. The worst that might have happened was a diplomatic protest.

15. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

It's okay... even if she was displeased, she couldn't admit to it. That's an emotional response. ;)

16. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Not just this episode but in the entire series this attidue bothers me. I would think that by the 23rd century a Doctor would have a breadth of knowledge about other humanoid species.

They should that Dr. Phlox on Enteprise seemd to be more knowledgeable about the physiology of other humanoid species.

17. Timo

It seems to me that by the 23rd century, an MD would have even narrower knowledge than today. Medicine is advancing so fast that it's basically impossible to be a general practitioner today; it might well take a minimum of three people with doctorates to adequately cover even Homo sapiens.

The only reason I think McCoy might be expected to know something about Vulcans is Spock being aboard. Apparently, the Vulcan is the only nonhuman on that ship - so Starfleet would do well to pick a doctor with at least some proficiency in handling Vulcans. But for all we know, they did, and that doctor was M'Benga; due to his rare specialization, he in turn was an inferior choice for treating the 429 humans, or for some other reason (lack of service years, say) couldn't become the CMO.

A smart organization might have given up on human doctors altogether, and only enrolled Denobulans or other species capable of coping with broader skill sets.

Timo Saloniemi

18. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

As originally written, the Vulcans were a mysterious race that kept largely to themselves and didn't share much with outsiders. Even Spock didn't reveal everything there was to know about Vulcans.

It wasn't until ten or so episodes after "Amok Time" that the character of Dr. M'Benga was introduced as a physician that had studied on Vulcan for a while and was more familiar with Vulcan physiology than most Starfleet doctors (but even then, he may not have known everything about them).

By the time of TNG, though, Vulcans may have dropped their veil of secrecy and quite a bit about their biology had long since been made available in the Starfleet Medical database.

19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

With Spock as his patient though, McCoy was mostly experienced with a Vulcan-Human hybrid. He has to adapt when working on full Vulcans like Sarek. McCoy's specialty seems to be humans.

20. Timo

According to "Court Martial", his specialty is space psychology - a very useful skill to have on a five-year mission, and probably it makes him a good choice for Starfleet to replace the Piper/Dehner combo. Perhaps such concerns outweighed the need to care for Spock's well-being?

Timo Saloniemi