Least Favorite Flag Officer

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain Clark Terrell, Nov 16, 2013.

?

Who is Your Least Favorite Flag Officer?

1. Commodore Jose Mendez ("The Menagerie")

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Commodore Stone ("Court Martial")

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Commodore Matt Decker ("The Doomsday Machine")

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. Commodore Robert Wesley ("The Ultimate Computer")

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. Admiral Heihachiro Nogura ("The Motion Picture")

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Admiral James T. Kirk ("The Motion Picture" - "The Voyage Home")

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. Admiral Harry Morrow ("The Search for Spock")

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  8. Admiral Lance Cartwright ("The Voyage Home," "The Undiscovered Country")

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  9. Admiral Mark Jameson ("Too Short a Season")

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  10. Admiral Andrea Brand ("The First Duty")

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Admiral Alynna Nechayev (TNG/DS9)

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  12. Admiral Chekote ("The Circle," "Gambit")

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Admiral Erik Pressman ("The Pegasus")

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  14. Admiral Toddman ("The Die is Cast")

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Admiral James Leyton ("Homefront," "Paradise Lost")

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  16. Admiral Jeremiah Hayes (TNG/VOY)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Admiral Matthew Dougherty ("Insurrection")

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  18. Admiral Kathryn Janeway ("Nemesis")

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  19. Admiral Christopher Pike (nuTrek)

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  20. Admiral Alexander Marcus ("Star Trek Into Darkness")

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Correct!

:techman:

I voted for Dougherty. The guy was a tool.

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Nechayev was competent but I always hated that scene in Chains of Command where she relieves Picard of command at the beginning of the episode. I mean what's up with her shit eating smirk after she tells him he is relieved? Why she was being so antagonistic? It all seemed forced and unnecessary.

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Not really, he was just an unknown Admiral [INSERT NAME HERE], and was really just a way to explain how Kirk and McCoy came back to the Enterprise.

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Some were incompetent, many were corrupt, but Jameson and Nechayev were the ones that I wanted to reach into the screen and slap.

5. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    Where's the incompetent woman from the TNG episode "The Drumhead"?

Otherwise I have to go with: Marcus and Pressman for developing weapons systems that would have made the Federation into an extremely dangerous power and Dougherty for going against everything the Federation stands for.

6. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^That was Admiral Nora Satie. I completely forgot about her, which surprises me because "The Drumhead" is one of my favorite TNG episodes. I don't think she was incompetent so much as she was nuts. She saw conspiracies everywhere and wasted valuable time and resources persecuting people who'd committed only marginal offenses.

I mean, who really cares that Simon Tarses lied about his heritage? Did his being Romulan as opposed to Vulcan have any bearing on his status as a member of Starfleet? It's not as though he was spying for the Romulans. His grandfather was Romulan, which tells us little or nothing about what kind of people Simon was. I suppose his dishonestly could have called into question how trustworthy or reliable he was, but given the way Romulans were themselves perceived in the Federation, it's not hard to understand why he'd have hid his background.

As an aside, it would be interesting to know the circumstances behind his grandfather conceiving a child with a human woman, but that's hardly relevant in terms of Simon's place in the Federation.

--Sran

7. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    TY. I totally forgot her name. Satie was absolutely loony, but was still entrusted with decision making. You are right. She's not incompetent, just nuts.

But, given what she tries to do while she is on board the Enterprise, she is by far my least favorite flag officer. I can sort of excuse Pressman and Marcus as they are trying to do what they think is best for the Federation, even if it is downright wrong. Her, not so much. At a minimum, busting Tarses' balls like she did was an overreaction. WWII military records show us that the bloodline does not define the person. We had plenty of military personnel with Japanese, Italian, and German parentage who served honorably and earned medals for their service. So why can't Starfleet have a half-Romulan in the service?

8. Captain Clark Terrell

Totally agree, especially since Saavik had been a member of Starfleet for several years. It's not clear who knew about her half-Romulan heritage beyond Kirk and Spock, but she more than proved her loyalty to the Federation, and under extremely difficult circumstances.

--Sran

9. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

[Whispers] Sran, you could've said that since Satie was retired in "The Drumhead" then she doesn't count :lol:

She definately did have her own agenda and seemed to be out for blood--definitely not a woman you'd want against you, even on her good days.

10. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dougherty was a big doody head.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree with you that Admiral Satie was being a jackass, but mainly the problem was not that Tarses was 1/4 Romulan; it's that he LIED about it on his application (and before the court). If he had just come right out and admitted the truth from the get-go, I doubt Starfleet would have had a problem with it. As it stands, however...I mean, I'm sure Tarses is a nice guy and a good crewman, but let's face it, there are certain times and places where you just don't lie, and this is one of them. You don't lie on applications, and you don't commit perjury in open court. Anyone who could lie at times like that, could lie at any other time as well.

Again, I'm not excusing Satie's treatment of Tarses, just trying to put forth a little perspective here.

12. Captain Clark Terrell

^You're right that Tarses was wrong to lie about his heritage on his application and in court. However, Satie was less interested in charging him with perjury than she was trying to use his dishonesty as proof that he was involved in a conspiracy to destroy the Enterprise. I can understand why she'd be more suspicious of Tarses, but to devote as much effort as she did to every last detail of his life merely because she believed he was a saboteur was a waste of time and resources. Hardly the sort of behavior one would expect from a flag officer.

--Sran

13. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Janeway as admiral. Should be a commodore like the rest of the incompetents.

14. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Why no Komack?
    Surely everyone hates Komack. :lol:

15. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haven't seen some but of the ones I did Pressman and Marcus seemed the least justified and indeed dislikable.