MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

10.9%
  2. A

20.8%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

9.8%
  5. B

11.3%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

4.9%
  8. C

4.9%
  9. C-

3.8%
  10. D+

3.4%
  11. D

3.8%
  12. D-

2.6%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    And now, the winning team of the 'Tango Dace Off' competition of 1980...

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Let's see. When he first fought them in Smallville he was outnumbered.

Then when he finally fought Zod one-on-one he had just finished using almost every ounce of his strength and will to destroy the world builder on the other side of the planet which was recreating a Kryptonian environment and weakening him.

And oh yeah, by the time he got to Metropolis the other world builder had already pretty much done almost all of the damage to the city already. It would have been much greater had he not stopped the aforementioned world builder on the other side of the planet.

I guess you are right! Well done!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  3. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel confident we'll get an extended / director's cut; most of Snyder's movies get that treatment (Dawn of the Dead, Watchmen and Suckerpunch all getting extended / director's cuts; and 300 getting a special release with deleted scenes not re-cut into the film).

4. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would have been happier with a bit more time spend showing us Clark's journey to become Superman.

And I'd cut down on some of the action scenes, particularly the stuff that's so fast you can't even tell what's going on.

5. Camren

Camren Commodore Commodore

I really didn't like it at all. It took itself too seriously, has none of the humour and charm of the Donner movies. Yes it's not supposed to as light-hearted as the originals and is supposed to be more 'realistic' but it didn't work for me.

Some spoilers, do not read much further if you don't want to be spoiled....

The beginning was fine, seeing Krypton and some of the folks inhabiting it. But makes you think why these super advanced aliens who once had a galactic empire didn't do more to save themselves. Apparently the Kryptonians just can't survive outside of Krypton but Kal didn't have any problems doing so. Just a minor quibble though, Krypton was always doomed.
    The last hour or so was pretty absurd, just littered with non-stop explosions. I actually found myself getting bored at the monotonous stream of destruction.
    And this Kent/Supes was just not very compelling, to put it mildly.
    I liked his struggle with adapting to earth and to his powers when he was growing up, but he was pretty uninteresting once he reached adulthood. Both as Kent and Superman, he lacks any charisma whatsoever. Just like the plank who played Supes in Superman Returns. Yes Cavill has enormous shoes to fill and it's going to be impossible to replicate the aura Reeves had, but for me he lacked personality and I felt nothing for him. Really, he's the protagonist and I could not have cared less had Zod killed him. At least Zod had something about him. Passion, cruelty, determination, patriotism... Supes was a cold fish in comparison and was not someone I was rooting for.

And I found his refusal to save his dad absurd, totally absurd. Yes I understand why he didn't rescue Jonathan it but it's totally unbelievable that he would stand and watch his dad die. Practically everyone in his hometown knew of Clark's powers but when it came to using them to save his dad, he refused so the worst kept secret in Kansas wouldn't come out. Stupid.
    Speaking of dead dads, Jor-El showed up a bit too much for my liking, even if he was some sort of computer program. Controlling the ship was too much. And maybe it's me but Crowe just seemed bored throughout.

Perry and the rest of the press gang were totally pointless. Would not have made any difference to the movie had they not been involved at all, and I doubt the audience would have cared an iota had they all been killed.
    As for Lois...she was okay. Much better than the one in Superman Returns at least.
    Although there really wasn't any chemistry between her and Supes, I found their budding romance forced and not believable. And making out just after possibly thousands of people were killed by the tide of destruction caused by Superman and the Kryptonians? That was in bad taste and terrible timing. They were practically standing over the dead whilst snogging. Jeez.

I didn't mind the neck breaking. That was understandable and I don't think it makes Supes a savage killer.

Even as a mindless, popcorn action flick I wouldn't say this was enormously enjoyable as so much of the action was ott. It was nice to see Superman doing his thing but the main character itself was uninteresting and instead of developing his character, they threw in tons of SFX and CGI.

Nowhere near as good as STiD, and ranks below Thor, TDK, and the Avengers in terms of recent comic book superhero movies.

Positives:
    Portryal of Kal-El's early struggles were nicely done
    Costner's portrayal of Jonathan Kent was good
    Krypton was pretty cool
    Special effects were good
    Zod was a decent villain as was Faora

6. Astraboy

Astraboy Ensign Red Shirt

I'd second that. Going to catch a 2nd screening tonight, in normal format. It was quite difficult keeping up with the action in IMAX 3D.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Best superhero movies all time:

1. Man of Steel
    2. Superman
    3. Dark Knight
    4. Iron Man
    5. Batman Begins
    6. Watchmen
    7. X-men: Last Stand
    8. Avengers
    9. X-men First Class
    10. Captain America

X2, V for Vendetta, Thor, Hancock honorable mention.

RAMA

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

#7 -- Really? :wtf:

9. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had that reaction for #6

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I had that reaction for the bipolar Hancock getting an honorable.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm not sure I can name five super-hero movies that I've seen that I would ever want to see again. :eek:

12. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love that list, RAMA!

Totally disagree with half of it, but it's nice to see lists like this that don't care what the "popular" opinion is!

Like anyone can dictate what we personally enjoy anyways.

13. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No need to be snarky. If it was that easy (physically) for Superman to break Zod's neck; why didn't Zod or any of the others just break Superman's neck during any part of the (very long) epic battle? That resolve just doesn't ring true to me; sorry. I'm glad you guys liked it. Honestly I loved the first part of the story; it was solid writing (except the tornado scene which was not good at all) but I thought the end was a bit ridiculous. That's just my opinion however.

14. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

You must be a tough critic! I have many superhero movies that I watch over and over.

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

One criticism I had before was about the rather abrupt way Superman was introduced to the world, but watching the movie again I have to say that no longer bothers me.

In fact I actually really like the way he's introduced now, as just another mysterious Kryptonian that the military and world aren't really sure about, and it's only through this giant battle in Smallville-- where he's saving soldiers left and right and clearly struggling to put up the best fight he can against Zod's men-- that they slowly come to realize he's on our side.

There's something a bit more moving about that idea, than if he had just revealed himself through the standard way of rescuing a falling girl or a crashing plane or something.

Yeah that's another aspect of the story that gets criticized, but it only made sense for Superman to focus on taking out the other machine first, because it wasn't being guarded by Zod and his men and he wouldn't have to spend all his time just trying to get past them first.

And the faster he took out the machine, the sooner it would stop destroying Metropolis.

16. Lost Periphery

Lost Periphery Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Just a point that hasn't really been answered yet: Why Zod wanted Lois on the ship.

When Woodburn went on CNN telling all and sundry that Lois knew who this Alien was, Zod found it the quickest way to find out the location of the Codex.

Lois even says that she was put into a mind simulation and couldn't help but tell. Clark tells her it was ok, that they did the same to him.

17. Camren

Camren Commodore Commodore

Much of that list is silly, especially with Man of Steel at number 1. It wouldn't make my top 10.

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It's almost as if vocal minorities are actually minorities and not the majorities they pretend to be.

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

My favorite superhero movies in no particular order...

- The Dark Knight Trilogy (especially The Dark Knight and Rises)
    - Batman (1989)
    - Man of Steel
    - Iron Man 1 & 3
    - The Shadow
    - The Rocketeer
    - The Mask of Zorro
    - Doctor Strange: The Sorcerer Supreme

I don't think of Hancock as an all-time favorite, but I really liked it and I'll give it an honorable mention.

20. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Not a bad list but for me I liked Batman Begins more than the Dark Knight and Superman II would make my list.

Here is my list in no particular order.

Man of Steel
    Superman II
    Superman
    Iron Man
    Batman Begins
    Thor
    Captain America
    Batman 89
    Batman Forever
    Avengers
    The Mask of Zorro