Abrams Directing Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kamdan, Jan 24, 2013.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I keep trying. :brickwall:

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's not mutually exclusive with him finding himself "elevating" another underestimated studio property. Especially these days. Hell, who in Hollywood besides Spielberg and Lucas have managed to stay completely off the franchise plantations while continuing to command the resources to make any damn film they please?

Many talented - and a few brilliant - directors have had their moments in the last two decades...but if you want to work with a lot of money and resources and be able to leverage serious distribution, you wind up doing a lot of work to please the people who themselves work to please stockholders. Ask Tim Burton.

3. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just don't see how Batman could be seen to have been more highbrow than Trek before Batman Begins? The previous Batman movie tanked and was a joke to everybody. Nemesis did poorly but it's nowhere near the laughing stock Batman and Robin is.

4. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if JJ is going to be saying, "This movie was not made for STAR WARS fans; it's being made for movie fans."

Or, with our luck, he'll actually say it's made for the Star Wars fans.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  5. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Schumacher made a consious decision to embrace the campiness of the 60's television show. Turns out, no one else wanted to make the leap with him. 'Nemesis' was simply bad.

6. DalekJim

He wouldn't dare say anything as dumb, ungrateful and mean-spirited as that in an interview.

Oh.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

To be fair, "no one else wanted to make the leap with him" because Batman and Robin was...simply bad. "Having a vision" doesn't mean your movie won't just suck.

8. cooleddie74

Nemesis was just lazy, and that's worse. No explanation of the Romulans getting Picard's DNA that long ago, much less one that would fit in with established Next Gen timeline and canon....the use of yet another Brent Spiner android that's not as sophisticated as Data....Picard being bald as a cadet when he was described (and even shown) as having hair as late as his tenure as captain of the Stargazer.

9. DalekJim

Both are shitty but Nemesis is the better movie. Tom Hardy was actually trying to act unlike Arnie, Uma and whatever roid rager they got to play Bane.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Nope.

I saw Nemesis and I saw Schumacher's stuff - and the fact that the guy might have been ambitious and really trying didn't make sitting through Batman & Robin one bit less tedious than a bad Trek movie.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

No show which features Gates McFadden simulating an orgasm is without merit.

12. cooleddie74

Schumacher just mishandled the entire Batman franchise from day one. By the time the films were revived seven years later under Nolan I was itching for a positive change from the Era of the Bat Nipples and Arnold.

Whatever issues one has with the Nolan Dark Knight films they don't suffer from the same problems that the Schumacher movies did, especially Batman and Robin. Critics like Leonard Maltin jumped on TDK for its dark vision and how the Joker was handled in comparison to the Jack Nicholson incarnation almost twenty years earlier, but they fail to see what a radical improvement the Nolan films even with their flaws are over the post-Tim Burton entries in the franchise.

13. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

She did? I forget. I only watched that episode one time. Which was more than enough...

14. cooleddie74

Okay. "Sub Rosa" had ONE good thing going for it.

Well, that and the end credits finally rolling.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Never really understood this criticism. People change hairstyles all the time. :shrug:

16. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I don't disagree with anything you say there, but at this point Nolan seems more like wishful thinking than anything tangible when it comes to Star Trek. Maybe he'll work on another "franchise plantation" (haha, nice) but certainly not our beloved and hallowed one. :shrug:

17. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You missed the word "necessarily".
    When Abrams made that quite about ST2009, he said the film was not made "necessarily" for Star Trek fans, but for movie fans in general.

The exact quote from him was:
    "The whole point was to try to make this movie for fans of movies, not fans of 'Star Trek,' necessarily".

One word makes a big difference.

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

And when the Abrams response you've quoted in part above goes on immediately to say:
    "If you’re a fan, we’ve got one of the writers who’s a devout Trekker, so we were able to make sure we were serving the people who are completely enamored with `Star Trek.’ But we are not making the movie for that contingent alone."
    his intended meaning is quite plain, and it's not at all a brush-off of Star Trek fans. I don't have any trouble imagining that Abrams will take a similar approach to making a Star Wars movie - it won't be made just for them, but at the same time he's going to make efforts to include lots which those fans will enjoy seeing.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

-Romulans are known to have inteligence operatives among their enemies, and Shinzon's age corresponds with when Picard was either at the end of his time commanding the Stargazer or after it was lost. We know being captain of the Stargazer made Picard a name, Geordi read about him in the Academy.

-Picard shaved his head when the pictire was taken.

20. cooleddie74

Yeah, I suppose so.

The movie just does such a pitiful job of explaining most things....that's my main nitpick.