Star Trek end credits and soundtrack discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Apr 26, 2009.

1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek end credits 9 minute music clip

Another clip has surfaced... you heard it here first :shifty:

Nero Sighted

2. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

^I hate you. :mad:

;)

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I'll shortly be listening to the whole thing. :)

4. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Well, I like it. ;)

But what the fuck happened to the aspect ratio of that video? :wtf:

5. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

6. Admiral Buzzkill

The opening theme is short - about a minute long.

And the fanfare is used in the movie!

7. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

8. mistabaka

mistabaka Ensign Newbie

If i wasn't currently listening to the Ending Theme this might have made my day... still its in the list of top 2 things that have made my day!

9. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Meh, I ain't all that impressed with the main theme, sounds too overdone to me.

But I'll tell you what, when I got a vibe of the "Wagon Train" theme from one passage I just about fell off my chair.

There's a bunch of things within it that sound familiar but I cannot put my finger on what there are, probably from his other works.

I look forward to hearing the whole work.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why didn't they get Celine Dion to sing the lyrics? :lol:

At least he didn't RickRoll.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I'm seeing the whole movie in just a few hours, so this is a great ramp-up, as if I needed it. Thanks!

12. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

At least Rick Astley is catchy!

13. cubbie

cubbie Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. Is it May 8th yet?

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I'm back in the 60's! help!

:techman:

15. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This really is a nice cue, very bouncy and bright. The first full, really full, all out use of the theme beyond the fanfare in the films. Horner came close at the end of Trek III (and I loved him for it) and used it for a minute, but this score really embraces it.

The score seems to be quite good, with only about half on the album itself. It's also the first time since Generations we have a Trek film with music done by someone other than Jerry Goldsmith. As much as I love the late master, it's nice to hear another point of view. No TMP theme, no Klingon march, no "Star Trek 5 God theme adapted into other stuff." It was time Trek had another musical voice in the films.

It's not the most thematic album, nor the most memorable, but usually the albums don't give you the whole or even correct picture.

Going by the music, there's a whole subtext and heart not even hinted at in the previews. It may be great to have pounding action to bring in the kiddies, but it does the film a disservice. The music is telling me the film is better than the previews.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Having listened to the score several times now, I'd call it a disappointment and not real interesting.

I'll own up to not being very musically sophisticated - I can't be too specifically analytical. The music on the album, though, seems to me to be pretty repetitious with not a lot of strong motifs, a kind of indistinct blur of horns and percussion simply repeating the brief signature of the movie's theme in one variation after another.

The movie theme itself is derivative of other modern film scores - yeah, "The Dark Knight," even if it's a little "brighter."

The way in which the Courage theme and fanfare are used seem unimaginative to me (with one brief exception at the end of "Nero Death Experience") and rather obligatory - "well, we have to put it somewhere, make it a little lush and stick it in here."

Overall I was hoping for something more evocative from the guy who scored "The Incredibles," which is one of my favorite movie scores of recent years.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Hollywood Reporter mentioned that the music was one of the film's only dissapointments in their review. I don't know. I sort of enjoy the end credits suite, even if it batters you with Courage's theme a bit much.

18. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed on all counts. It's aggressively generic. A shame too--speaking of The Incredibles, I'd been hoping that Giacchino might go full-out big band '60s with the Trek score just to be really different. Guess not.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

There are things that I like in it - the cues "Hela Bar Talk" and "Enterprising Young Men" stand out - although the latter is maybe a little too familiarly Copeland-like. But okay, maybe I shouldn't nitpick the use of familiar orchestration (or whatever) at the same time that I'm holding up "The Incredibles" as an admired example. :lol:

20. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I want to see how it plays out in the film. Sometimes it's the combination of the score with the visuals that helps it. I think that a lot of Horner's TWOK score suffers from "screeching Strings" in a few ques which bother me when I listen to the soundtrack standalone but work wonders with the visuals of the scenes they play for.

And while I love the enterprising young man que, I get a "this is a kirk montage" feel from the middle of it. :lol: