Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

The bit in your quote that grabs me is: "spinning Punisher out into a different team book"

Punisher is going to be on a team? Now how's that going to happen? Tony Stark going to put the equivalency of a shock collar on Frank? If he thinks about killing--zap, like a dog barking.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

If he's part of a team I could see him being closely monitored by Captain America, whom Frank admires more than anyone else, despite the fact that Steve couldn't care two whims about Frank and is appalled by him (I'm thinking about the scene from Civil War between the two). I don't like the idea of Frank being on a team, but it could be interesting to see how this happens, if it does happen. Sounds like this is just still in the planning stage.

I think it more telling that Ruka has no planned Marvel work beyond War Zone. Hopefully his contract isn't expiring.

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm having a hard time picturing a team that would even want Castle.

And I agree with you, Admiral, re: Rucka's contract. It's disappointing enough that Punisher is being forced into a conclusion, but even more disappointing if Marvel doesn't find a title for Rucka. He's too good to let go.

4. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Though, I wouldn't mind Rucka writing more DC comics, though! :devil:

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That would be awesome if Punisher joined the Thunderbolts / Dark Avengers :D

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Punisher should join the Great Lakes Avengers.

7. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Captain Marvel #1 was a lot of fun and was not bogged down in the history of the character, making it accessible for someone like me who isn't very familiar with Mar-Vell or Carol Danvers. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the artwork, though it certainly looks different than anything else Marvel is putting out. Avenging Spidey #9 was a great companion piece to read immediately after.

I recently dropped all the DC titles I was buying due to getting too many comics each month and feeling more engaged with the Marvel stuff at the moment, but kept Earth 2. If Rucka returned to a DC title, that'd probably take me back up to two DC titles per month.

Hmm... Perhaps he should simply be hired for a Gotham Central-esque title in the Marvel U!

8. Admiral_Young

If Rucka's contract does expire and he ends up going back to DC, they should give him back "Detective Comics". Actually I'd love to him take over "Batman and Robin" from Tomasi just to see what he would do with Damian.

9. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd rather see him return to write the Alice origin has had planned for Detective Comics, which would be a story best suited for Batwoman.

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Captain Marvel # 1 was okay. Mostly a couple of fights while Carol "agonizes" over taking the "Captain Marvel" name. I got a chuckle out of Carol's brother sporting what looked like a Green Lantern emblem on his T-shirt. I also had to laugh over the creative teams spin on the new costume. Exchanging the "swimsuit" for a catsuit equals progress, realism and practicality !!!!:guffaw: What goods a helmet that leaves the top and back of your skull vulnerable? Maybe the hair gel makes up for it. ;)

The art wasn't to my taste but serviceable. A little "messy".

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Journey into Mystery 641-- Ah JiM, I'm really am going to miss you. The conclusion of the Manchester Gods arc sees Loki, who believes that Asgardia supports the wrong side, tips the scales against the old Gods of Otherworld and into the favor of the Machester Gods, who support progress and industrialization. Sadly, this plays right into the hands of Surtur and leads directly into the "Everything Burns" crossover, which will be Kieron Gillen's swansong on the title.

The conclusion of Leah's arc was unexpected and Loki's grief felt genuine and heartfelt. I may have misted up a little myself.

New Mutants 46-- "Fear the Future" part 3 see the team fighting off future Doug who has become a tyrannical ruler in the future using his talents and a connection to Warlock tech. Now that the team is aware of Doug's potential, one can assume that the next arc, "Fight the Future" will see the team actively trying to prevent Doug's future from happening. Preent-Doug seems pretty shocked by all of this, but Future-Doug said that this was already happening and that he was the culmination of plans that present-Doug was already making. DnA's New Mutants has been "meh" largely, but I did enjoy this arc and will continue with the book until it folds with issue 50.

Fantastic Four 608, the conclusion of the Wakanda arc and another winner from Johnathon Hickman. Sue, Shuri and Storm fight off the source of the undead while Reed and T'Challa journey to realm of fallen Panthers. The Panther god restores T'Challa to Black Panther status while allowing Shuri to retain her powers as well. Hickman keeps setting up new plot threads that he won't be wrapping up before he leaves the book and its a little disappointing that he won't developing these stories himself.

There is a tie-in to the AvX in the story that raises questions that I will be bringing up in the AvX thread later.

Daredevil 15-- Matt's escape from Latveria. A nice tale of Matt bereft of his hyper-senses by the Latverian government, who seek the secrets of Matt's hyper-sense as recompense for his recent campaign against Mega-crime. I really enjoy Daredevil, but am anxious for the satory to returr to more familiar territory, I'm still anxiously awaiting the reveal of what Foggy found in Matt's office and how it will cause their split.

12. Turtletrekker

All week long Marvel has been releasing teasers for the Marvel Now .1 issue with Nick Fury Jr. on the cover and revealing more characters each day. So far they have revealed Cable, Nova (no indication as to which Nova) and Ant-Man (again, no indication as to which Ant-Man).

However, today's reveal is the one that has me the most interested. It would seem that Marvel is not going to go the obvious route and restore Loki to his previous, evil, adult self (as one might expect with the character appearing in the Avengers movie) and instead are going to keep Kid Loki around after the end of Journey into Mystery.

If Gillen is continuing to write the character, then I call this a "win/win" situation.

Fans of Young Avengers and the Vengence mini will be interested in this as well.

13. Captain Craig

Ant-Man getting some spotlight makes sense given the recent movie announcement + they also gave him the Season One treatment just last week.

14. Turtletrekker

15. Admiral_Young

Huge week, will be getting the following:

-Amazing Spider-Man #690 (ten more to go before 700!)
    -FF#20
    -Hit-Girl #2
    -The Incredible Hulk #11
    -Ultimate Comics Ultimates #13
    -Uncanny X-Force #28
    -Wolverine and the X-Men #14
    -Winter Solider #8
    -X-Men Legacy #270

16. Captain Craig

Looks like Dark Avengers #178 is going to likely answer if Man-Thing keeps his current brush with conscience and vocal ability.

17. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

though i enjoyed the AvX story in Secret Avengers i'm glad its back to business as usual with next weeks issue.

18. Turtletrekker

Johnathon Hickman discusses his plans for Avengers and New Avengers...

A snipet...

Yikes. That means to keep up with Hickman's Avengers, one will have to buy three $4 books a month! I was honestly hoping that NA would be a separate thing just for financial reasons. Maybe NA will be to the main book what FF is to Fantastic Four, connected and supplemental but not required.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  19. Admiral_Young

I was thinking that New Avengers would be like FF but the fact that he can't talk about it yet makes me the book will be much more impactful. NYCC is going to be huge for Marvel Now news and interviews I think.

20. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8 gajillion Avengers titles and none of them are WEST COAST AVENGERS? And yet we can continue to have a NEW AVENGERS, probably featuring the same people who've been Avengers for years?