sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

I hope nu-trek goes the way of nu-coke. They fired that guy who thought it up, and then when they had such great success bringing back classic coke, they rehired him an gave him a raise and a promotion.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

nuTrek is more like Pepsi - basically the same taste with a very slight variation, popular in its own right and here to stay. :bolian:

3. Temis the Vorta

Getting back to the point of the thread (there was a point around here somewhere, I seem to vaguely recall...)

Bella's dad from Twilight (but don't hate him right away!) gets lead in Revolution.

EDIT: Burke's vacated role as a Marine goes to that guy from The Cape.

The only thing I remember about that guy is that I can't remember anything about that guy. Not a good sign. Maybe the zombies will eat him early on. There will be zombies, right?

And as an ironic footnote to our naming debate, looks like Revolution's name has been rescinded, and it's back to being untitled. Has JJ Abrams lost faith in his show so soon? :( :rommie:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  4. xortex

Pepsi is Tos, Temis, but Defyance sounds ultra cool. I could just picture an old fashioned sheriff who is way out of his league trying to deal with advanced aliens and the like and their conflicts, etc. I thought Defyance was the RHW project with their ship being called the Defender and all, it would have been a perfect title, but this show sounds just as good if not better and takes place on like an asteroid town with a wierd mix of aliens and Humans almost like a Star Wars pastiche. Very cool IMO.

I don't even see how Revolution is the right title for his TZ spin off cerebral non reality show where nothing works because it is all one mass hypnotic illusion like the tv itself. They're still working out the spin like lost. Now he's lost in space. Talk about being out of your league. If he's smart he'll bring in Braga. But he's just clever is all and nepotistic.

5. Temis the Vorta

If Pepsi is TOS, then what is Coke? Flash Gordon?

Steven Bocho is developing Evolution.

Well, that's different anyway. I'll be on the lookout for that one. They haven't sold it in anyplace yet.

Graham Greene has joined Defiance.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

"Social Darwinism?" I don't think the person who wrote that blurb understands what that phrase means. It's got nothing to do with evolution; it's a corruption and abuse of Darwinian theory (and Spencer's "survival of the fittest," which is often misattributed to Darwin and misinterpreted) to justify class divisions and social inequality.

7. Temis the Vorta

At least all forms of energy have not disappeared from their universe! :rommie:

If they do understand, it's a spoiler. The Boy and all his caveman buddies should just not bother to develop a society at all, since it will be a bad "social Darwinism" one. :(

8. Temis the Vorta

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Forbidden Planet. :mallory:

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually, back when TNG first came along, people were comparing it to New Coke and TOS to "Classic" Coke. In fact, before it started being called "The Original Series" officially, and even for a while after, TOS was widely nicknamed "Classic Trek" by analogy with Coke.

11. xortex

Well the cola wars is obviously between Star Wars and Star Trek, so take your pick between the sequals and TNG, now nu Trek.

12. Temis the Vorta

Star Wars/Star Trek is more cola vs. lemon-lime sodas (7-Up, Sprite, et al).

More graphic novels/comic books being developed for TV?

Is the main character's superpower that he can turn into a cockroach? ;)

Here's something that sounds fascinating - Showtime is working on a sci fi sounding series with Salman Rushdie.

That doesn't sound very sci fi, but Rushdie has also described the series as "a sort of paranoid science-fiction series, people disappearing and being replaced by other people." Now we're talking! :D

Stephen King's Under the Dome is still alive and kicking at Showtime as well.

Looks like Showtime wants to be the crowd-pleasing antidote to HBO:

Expect Showtime to do genre fare that isn't "straight ahead" (by which I guess they mean, not something that comes directly from a known genre like high fantasy or zombie horror). We may be in for more sf/f comedy (which would be great to see on cable):

And more on SyFy's Defiance. Oh please, they're blowing up the Golden Gate Bridge again? :klingon:

They're sticking with the game-show overlap idea, but in different parts of the country:
    I love the idea of Julie Benz playing the spunky, embattled mayor of an Earth town overrun by sneaky aliens. Never heard of the others, except Graham Greene, who's never made much of an impression on me, acting-wise.

Still skeptical about the game-show overlap. I can't see any substantial overlap being possible without making the show writers' lives too difficult. They've got enough of a challenge just getting a show with aliens to survive in the hostile wasteland of SyFy. ;)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  13. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Rosario Dawson is teaming up with The Walking Dead's Gale Anne Hurd to bring her graphic novel to A&E.

14. RJDiogenes

That sounds promising. :bolian:

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Hmmm, if Vampire Diaries doesn't breathe some life into itself, this sounds like a promising possible replacement for it in my viewing schedule

16. Temis the Vorta

Rosario Dawson's a Trekkie, so I support anything she does. :bolian: I'm also glad to see A&E contemplating a scripted drama on an interesting (if a tad overdone, currently) topic. I can't think of any scripted dramas they do right now. They've fallen entirely off my radar.

That astrophysicist-vs-antichrist pilot is now called Dark Horse, according to thefutoncritic's ABC pilot guide.

There are more complete summaries of ABC's pilots. 666 Park Avenue sounds fun - Desperate Housewives-meets-Rosemary's Baby. I'm kind of eh about The Last Resort - if they're getting weird orders from the White House, then the real story is not happening on some remote tropical island, is it? Dark Horse, Gotham and Zero Hour sound interchangeable. ABC only needs one of the three. (Dark Horse sounds the most intriguing to me.)

Meanwhile, over in comedy-land, the "Melrose Space" show has a title - Down to Earth - where they're introducing a trope beloved of fanfic writers: male pregnancy. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to seeing NBC's list which may shed more light on the pilot formerly known as Revolution.

The CW grows up?

Sounds like The Selection is a safe bet to go to series and we probably should be happy if Cult doesn't. (Damn, I was looking forward to Alaric vs T-Bag.

More details about the ABC pilots.

Just as CW is moving into the older demographics, ABC seems to be poaching on FOX's male demographic with more action-centered fare.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

A&E currently has two scripted original series, The Glades (love it), and Breakout Kings (also love it).

18. Temis the Vorta

I watched a bit of Breakout Kings because of the Prison Break connection, but it didn't grab me.

If anyone's curious where next fall's pilots are being shot, here's a list.

19. RJDiogenes

Gilded Lilies (or Lilys, if you believe some sites) is shooting in Boston, but is actually set in New York. It's not genre, but it's interesting for two things: It's a period piece set in 1895 and John Barrowman is in it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  20. Temis the Vorta

It is "Lilys" because the family name is Lily.

I'm convinced the so-called "ladies man" Barrowman is playing is going to turn out to be gay. ;)