A Definitive List

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Wowbagger, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Commodore Commodore

The Definitive List of Star Trek Fan Productions

by Wowbagger
    Last Updated: 3/26/2009

Total Length of All Dramatic Productions: 7280 minutes
    That Length Measured in Episodes: 169 episodes*
    Equivalent Episode**: “First Contact”

Updated and New to the List
    [Listing new, recategorized, or newly expanded projects, sorted inconsistently]

Intrepid
    (filmed; +7 minutes; a vignette I failed to add last time. Go watch it! Go go go!)

Defiant
    (audio; +85 minutes; three new episodes)

Diplomatic Relations
    (audio; +42 minutes; new episodes)

Continuing Mission
    (audio; +38 minutes; new episode)

Mission of Mercy
    (audio; +9 minutes; new personal logs @ youtube channel)

The Helena Chronicles
    (video; +27 minutes; new episode)

Federation One
    (filmed & audio; +66 minutes; two new episodes; crossover with Starfleet Renegades)

The Animated Series: Reloaded
    (animation mashup; +15 minutes; two episodes)

The Romulan Wars
    (filmed; +20 minutes; new episode)

Mirror Wars
    (audio; +31 minutes; iTunes-only; probably dead)

Phoenix
    (filmed; +1 minute; new vignette)

Cloak (in production)
    Guidance (in production)
    Requirius (in production)
    Outpost (in production)
    The Lions of the Night (in production)
    Quadrants (in production)

Starfleet Renegades (back online; episode @ filefactory)
    Dark Frontier (website down)

Series
    [Everything on this list has released at least one contiguous part of one episode, however brief, that is publicly available on the Internet.

Sorted in descending order by number of minutes produced. Does not account for quality. Does give an unfair advantage to audio shows, which can produce more minutes more easily than video-based projects. Minute counts are approximate at best and depend on how lazy I was adding up episode lengths last time I did the list. Assume each title has “Star Trek: [title here]” prepended in all official materials.]

Hidden Frontier
    (filmed; 1361 minutes; completed; KP)

Defiant
    (audio; 993 minutes)

The Section 31 Files
    (audio; 731 minutes; completed; KP)

Beyond
    (filmed; 386 minutes)

Excelsior
    (audio; 383 minutes)

Lost Frontier
    (audio; 325 minutes; KP)

Phase II (fka New Voyages)
    (filmed; 264.5 minutes)

Odyssey
    (filmed; 185 minutes; KP)

Starship Farragut
    (filmed; 167 minutes)

Pioneers
    (audio; 166 minutes; cancelled; KP)

The Continuing Mission
    (audio; 165 minutes)

The Helena Chronicles
    (filmed; 148 minutes; KP)

Diplomatic Relations
    (audio; 132 minutes; KP)

Eras
    (audio; 132 minutes)

Unity (US)
    (audio; 120 minutes)

Federation One
    (filmed; 103 minutes; KP)

Starship Exeter
    (filmed; 100 minutes)

Morning Star
    (machinima; 80 minutes; cancelled)

Intrepid
    (filmed; 66 minutes)

Dark Frontier
    (filmed; 61 minutes)

Dispatches from the Romulan War
    (audio; 60 minutes)

Tales of the Seventh Fleet
    (filmed; 60 minutes)

Dimensions
    (audio; 47 minutes)

Frontier
    (machinima; 40 minutes)

Enterprise: The New Generation
    (plastic-based; 30 minutes; German)

Aurora
    (CGI; 32 minutes)

New Frontier
    (audio; 31 minutes; cancelled)

The Way Back
    (machinima; 24 minutes)

The Expedition
    (filmed; 20 minutes)

Counter Worlds
    (spliced; 20 minutes)

The Romulan Wars
    (filmed; 39 minutes)

Starfleet Renegades
    (audio; 35 minutes; episode @ filefactory)

Mirror Wars
    (audio; 31 minutes; iTunes-only; probably dead)

The Animated Series: Reloaded
    (animation mashup; 15 minutes)

Crossroads
    (audio; 15 minutes; cancelled)

Tales of Death and Honour
    (audio; 12 minutes; KP)

Mission of Mercy
    (audio; 9 minutes)

Dark Armada
    (filmed; 9 minutes)

Lexington
    (filmed; 3 minutes)

Phoenix
    (filmed; 2 minutes)

One-Shots
    [Sorted alphabetically; all completed]

Borg War
    (machinima; 90 minutes)

Der Wert Vieler
    (film; 32 minutes; German)

Encarta
    (filmed; 160 minutes)

Of Gods and Men
    (filmed; 120 minutes)

Operation: Beta Shield
    (filmed; 67 minutes; KP)

Metrensky Incident
    (filmed; 57 minutes; Czech)

A New Beginning
    (filmed; 40 minutes)

The Orphans of War
    (filmed; 12 minutes)

The Search
    (film; 40 minutes; German)

Starship Mojave
    (filmed; 29 minutes; children)

A Tale of Two Galaxies
    (filmed; 30 minutes)

In Production
    [Sorted by probability of actually being released, in my personal opinion]

Horizon (Polish)
    Protector
    Osiris
    Temporal Investigations II
    Requirius
    Outpost
    Quadrants
    Origins
    Trinity
    Grissom
    Soldiers of Pawns
    Gatekeeper
    Cloak
    Guidance
    The Lions of the Night
    He Who Draws The Sword
    Titan
    Conflictos (Spanish)
    The Legacy (German)
    SFI
    Reanimated
    Hathaway
    Dauntless
    Dominion War
    Enterprise: Season Five
    Specter of the Past
    Starfleet Rangers: Alpha Colony Mars
    Holouniverse
    Excalibur
    The Second Mission
    Dark Reign
    USS Hannibal

Comedy/Parody
    [Sorted in no special order, but somewhat by awesomeness]

Star Track: Idomo
    Stone Trek
    Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning
    Enterprise Flashed
    Steam Trek
    Redshirt Blues
    The Pepsi Generation
    The Angriness of Rojay
    Orion Slave Girls Must Die!
    Captain's Nightmare
    South Trek
    Star Trecch!
    Commander Rob
    The Return of Vorg

Unavailable Films & Series
    [Completed dramatic projects that have no known home on the Internet]

NX-01
    Voyages of the USS Angeles
    Chains of Betrayal
    Unity (UK)
    Foundation

*Assumes forty-three minutes as standard episode length.
    **Denotes episode that would be airing if fan films were produced as a series alongside the seven hundred and seven episodes of the Star Trek canon. Thus, an episode count of 1 would be equivalent to “The Cage,” 80 would be equivalent to “Turnabout Intruder,” 81 to “Encounter at Farpoint, Part I,” 484 to “Sacred Ground,” 704 to “In A Mirror Darkly, Part II,” et cetera. This statistic is intended to demonstrate in clear terms the significant—and growing—length and breadth of fan-produced Star Trek taken as a whole.
    KP: Production includes Karl Puder, the Novachron in our midst.

NOTICE: If you are aware of any fan projects not currently on this list, or have noticed errors, or have found an online version of one of the Unavailable Films, or have calculated the “minutes produced” for a series more precisely than my rough estimate, or just want to shoot the breeze about last week’s Doctor Who episode, please post in this thread or PM me.

DISCLAIMER: I mainly keep this list for my personal reference; the fact that it is publicly pinned is a happy circumstance that I did not expect when I wrote it. I may refuse or simply ignore your suggestions, no matter how logical, well-reasoned, or eminently right they may appear to be, for the simple reason of “I don’t like it.” Please don’t take it personally.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2009
  2. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Re: A Definitive Fan Film List

Since an awful lot of those are audio series, shouldn't this be a fan production list?

3. Wowbagger

Technically, yes.

I just don't like the phrase "fan production." It doesn't roll off the tongue in any way that resembles pleasant. "Fan film," on the other hand, is rather alliterative and pleasing to the ear.

If there's a synonym for "production" that starts with "f" out there, I'll gladly replace it, because the inaccurate use of the word "film" is also mildly annoying. Just not annoying enough for me to embrace the alternative.

I will, however, add a note at the top.

Just noticed that I left out Dark Frontier. Added it. I expect there are quite a few more out there that I've missed.

4. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Great job! I humbly suggest that the mods pin this thread for future reference.

5. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

I agree that it should be pinned. And so it is.

6. batboy853

batboy853 Captain Captain

hey, is it possible for us to have two different categories, one for fan films, the other for audio fan productions
    dont mean to come off as being rude,
    but there is a difference between the two

7. Wowbagger

Sweet. I've never made a pinned thread before.

The rest of this post is boring. If you're not the sort who reads the daily regression analysis on fivethirtyeight.com, you might as well skip it.

If the board supported columns, I'd say go for it, but, as it does not, distinguishing between the two would require me to list one of the two above the other. And, being an audio guy myself, we all know which one that would be.

Plus, I don't really believe in segregation of audio and video. Neither format is inherently "better" than the other. There's a lot of good Trek and a lot of bad Trek in both--and so no good reason I can see to separate the two. (Other than recognizing the crazy hard work that the video guys do on every single minute of their shows. Hats off to 'em.)

All this being said, since batboy requested it and I think Intrepid wanted it (without saying so), I'll add a field for production type. More information won't be a bad thing, as long as it doesn't make the list as a whole less readable.

Incidentally, the "descending order by minutes" was my idea for sorting the productions using a quantitative measure that would allow the most successful productions to rise to the top of the list--without my personal opinions affecting the outcomes. This was largely successful--I mean, it's hard to question that both Hidden Frontier and Section 31 deserve their very high berths (and HF's dominating lead is impressive)--but I didn't realize just how heavily this would skew the list towards audio dramas.

If I can find a simple quantitative measure that, say, pushes Phase II closer to the top over shows like Beyond and Excelsior, I'll gladly do it. (Hopefully its upcoming two-parter will give PII a huge boost, and thereby salve my conscience somewhat.)

Speaking of minute counts: if someone wanted to actually go count up how long Hidden Frontier is, I would be very appreciative. I couldn't find any information about episode lengths without downloading each one, which was time-restrictive for me. So I figured 37 min/episode, multiplied by 49 episodes, and got 1800 minutes.

Also: adding an exceptionally weird little Lego comedy film called "Captain's Nightmare", which I've never heard of before tonight, but which apparently met Wikipedia's legendary "notability" standards. Who knew?

EDIT: In other news, it turns out I actually have a very old, very unlistened-to copy of Star Trek Foundation on my computer. If I can figure a good place to host it online, that project might just be saved.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  8. USS Intrepid

How is that "technically" yes? Production is a far more accurate term, especially, as you already mentioned, most of the 'films' are actually videos. Besides, listing audios under fan films is rather misleading, IMO. If you're opposed to splitting them into two groups, and I don't really have an issue with that, then I respectfully suggest it should be changed from films to productions. :)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  9. Wowbagger

I hear what you're saying. I'm really not trying to be misleading; I'm remembering my days as an uninitiate. Back then, when I saw the phrase "fan production," my eyes would glaze over and move on, or, at best, I might look at the phrase in disinterested confusion and then move on to greener pastures farther down the forum list.

But everyone knows what a "fan film" is. That phrase would always draw my eye. It's part of the common culture now. And that's why I chose the title I did for this list. I hope that won't be too irritating to those who value precision.

I contacted creator Steve Mollman about Foundation. Meanwhile, does anyone know where I might find a copy of TWERP Online's defunct NX-01 "series" (actually only one episode)? Does anyone have a copy they'd be willing to send me? Anyone from TWERP around today?

10. Picard Alpha

Picard Alpha Commander Red Shirt

Wowbagger, Encarta IV: Dark Hope (the film) has it's first official home over at YouTube (via your recommendation) http://youtube.com/watch?v=n6Q7kXlYSoY. Depending on fan interest I may begin re-releasing the first 3 films to the online world; most certinly the third film seeing as how IV is a direct sequel while the first 2 are standalones. www.startrekencarta.com is the official home and numerous video clips are available via that page.

11. Wowbagger

^ I just saw that it was up. Fantastic.

Two questions: first, since startrekencarta.com doesn't actually contain a link to Dark Hope (that I can find), should I link to the video or to the home page?

Two: Not having watched it yet, I don't know better. Should I list it as a four-part one-shot (like a miniseries) or as a completed, partially-available series?

12. USS Intrepid

Regardless, it is still misleading. Whether you like the use of production or not, it is still a more valid term.

If people's eyes are "glazing over" when they read fan production. they're not going to come into a forum labelled fan productions to read a thread entitled fan films.

13. Hudson_uk

Hudson_uk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

James, that's a heck of a list you've compile there, nice job.

btw, there's also South Trek (http://southtrek.110mb.com/) a one of parody in South Park style.

14. Wowbagger

Thanks!

Thank you! I've added it to my master list.

General notice: Turns out, the BBS doesn't let users edit their posts after twenty-four hours have passed. So, from now on, I have to send all updates to the list to Mallory (who has kindly agreed to continue said updates). To keep from overwhleming him, I'll only be making those updates every week or so, and he'll post them here whenever he gets to them.

In this case, I'll be waiting until Sunday the 20th to make my next update, so I can include the minutes from the new Intrepid short.

15. MikeH92467

Sounds like it's time for a compromise! Perhaps the title could read "A Definitive Fan Film/Audio List?

16. USS Intrepid

I'd settle for that. :)

17. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

Let me know if you want me to change the title Wowbagger. I figured out how to do that once upon a time in vBulletin and I could probably figure it out again.

18. Wowbagger

Sigh... the only possible title I can imagine that would be worse than "A Definitive Fan Production List" would be Mike's slash-based compromise proposal. (Sorry, Mike. I hate "Definitive Fan Film/Audio List" with every fiber of my being.)

Well, no, that's not true. I toyed today with "Fan Undertakings," "Amateur Artistries," and "Fan Inwentions" (note the Russian accent!), all of which are immeasurably worse.

The ones I came up with today that I did sorta like were "Fan Fabrication" and "Fan-Mades" (as in "A Definitive List of Fan-Mades," with all due credit for the name to Anthony Pascale). Is there any popular support for either of those, or are we stuck with "A Definitive List of Fan Productions"?

Either way, I and the present thread title stand defeated by the overwhelming vox populi. I'll include the new and immeasurably more accurate title in my update to you Sunday, Mallory. (Hopefully I'll be able to take a few public opinions into account by then.) That'll be in your PM box right after I find out the runtime of "Where There's A Sea," which I'll know right after I download it, which I'll do right after it's released.

Did anyone else realize that Karl Puder has been in roughly 22% of all productions listed? I added that up today after I ran into his voice in a completely unexpected place. Scary how he gets around. Which only proves my point about him.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  19. MikeH92467

No hard feelings James! If I helped kick start the creatie process then it's all good! Fan Mades works for me. After all, it's already in the Fan Productions forum, so it's not like anyone will be confused by what you mean. :techman:

20. USS Intrepid

I still prefer fan productions. I really don't like fan mades I'm afraid. That really does make my eyes glaze over.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.