The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wouldn't surprise me if they'd seen it on the map, but they simply dismissed it as a tough place to potentially break into versus all the houses in the area (which may have been the right thing to do, since they've obviously survived all winter and don't seem much worse for wear). The dialogue doesn't strictly rule that out: Daryl spots it, Rick walks up, and then the light goes off in his head. Could also be that on seeing the gated field that they realized the clearing it was do-able, and that getting from there into the prison was a similarly achievable goal.

I loved this opener - it had plenty of zombie smashing, though one reviewer pointed out that it may signify even more episodes without so much as a moan from any undead. I do also question the tactics, but I figure the writers hadn't fully realized what the prison would look like on TV. In the comics, the prison was much larger (even what we see in this opener is visibly smaller than the prison visual from last season) and aside from the tall fences, it was more walls than anything else. They may have visualized it differently than what we saw.

That said, it should have been easy to take care of the walkers at the fence and then send scouts into each area. Once a group of zombies was discovered, you'd retreat and agree on the best way to taunt them, even a few at a time, back to the fence and take care of them there until the area was clear. However, I can imagine that the writers would want to skip to the insid of the prison right away and thus skipped over some of this (and show our heroes as actual zombie-killin' HEROES for a change, with an appropriate undead bloodbath).

I can't remember if they figured out how some of the zombies had actually got that way without being bitten? There were a couple security guards last year who turned without having dental impressions made upon them, and now there are some prison guards who apparently zombified that way too. Perhaps they had been lightly bitten somewhere else, armored up, and died later? Opted out with poison? Starved, as several inmates seem to have done? We'll probably never know. Still sucks to have your face ripped off with your helmet later, though.

As for the characters, I loved 'em the first season and their unending bickering on the farm last year got grating really fast. As expensive as it is, this show needs to have more kinetic force behind it to keep it going. We all *like* these characters, and we arguably still do; we just want them to do more so we can continue sympathizing with them.

Mark

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah the basic character conflicts and storylines I thought were great last season; it was just the fact they drug on so damn long.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

yeah, they figured out last season that if you die, you turn, bite or not. Hence Lori's worry about having a zombie fetus in her if her baby dies in vitro during last night's episode.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, this wasn't the best episode ever, but I enjoyed it. There was definitely enough zombie-killing mayhem to last me a while. Let's get back to the plot and characterization now. Not that there was a total lack of drama. I loved Lori's talk with Herschel about a zombie fetus and the relationship between Andrea and the new zombie-bondage woman was intriguing. And I cracked up at Carol flirting with Daryl. And I was shocked that Herschel got bitten. I guess he won't be around much longer.

I wonder if there will be anything as compelling as the search for Carol's daughter to drive the storyline this year.

:bolian:

5. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That'd be a pretty bad way to go...

Re: Polearms, it be a great thing to do, but arguably it would be a problem if the blade would get stuck in a zombie head as they often are, allowing others to get within munching range. It has merit, but I think the group hasn't had that much time to think about it, create the weapons (even by tying a knife to a bamboo pole) and training themselves accordingly. We see they've become adept enough at taking out small groups and running away when needed.

On the plus side, killing zombies through fences came to them pretty quickly. "In the comics...":

Once they get settled, their outdoor activities inevitably drew walkers to the fence, and they foresaw that a mass of them would be a problem. They actually ended up creating a fence patrol of sorts, to kill what walkers make it to the fence, then drag away the bodies for disposal so they wouldn't pile up against the wall and eventually create a problem that way. I hope that if they're spending lots of time here, that they would start thinking about keeping the undead population outside the fence in check would be worth a thought or two. We saw there were walkers outside here and there, after all.

Mark

6. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The prison seems so obvious. And you would think Rick would know where all the prisons in the area were. On talking dead the producer said no one had gotten to it yet because of the herds of zombies blocking thier way. But I was thinking they wouldn't have been ready to take it the last time we saw them anyways. I can't imagine them being enough of a team to be able to take it or imagine them being desparate enough. They've given up any hope now of any kind of normal existence.

7. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The guard up high, where Darryl settled himself? He killed himself, which meant he was alive and didn't zombify, right?

8. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

If you're talking about the same guard Rick got the keys off of, there was blood spatter on the window behind his head, indicating a headshot. Pistol was in his hand, more than that, we have no way to tell if he was killed before or after becoming a zombie.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the same thing when I watched the first 6 or 7 episodes when they aired on TV, but I just watched the whole season over the last couple weeks on Netflix, and I found it didn't feel quite as dragged out when I was watching 2 or 3 episodes at a time.

I thought it was a really good. Not the best episode of the show, but I definitely enjoyed it. The zombie killing did go on for quite a while, but I thought they still managed to make it interesting enough and had enough character moments in there that they were able to keep me interested.
    As for the main arc of the season, based on what was shown in the previews and what little bit I know about the comics, it should be a very interesting season.

11. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

I think I would have looked for the armory first since it was outside the prison walls. That way everyone can have shotgun as well as ammo

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Didn't even know the show was starting back up until a few minutes before it started. And that ending reminded me of the TOS episode "The Mark of Gideon" because of the way all those people were staring at our gang through the bars and windows.

13. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

So true so very true

14. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Btw, I liked that they had a new opening sequence with nice to see Norman Reedus get 4th billing after Laurie Holden. Also noticed Lauren Cohen (Maggie) was added to the main credits as well as Darria. It is weird that Melissa Mcbride who plays Carol is still not in the main credits even though she has been with the show since the beginning. Hope that does not mean she is going to be knocked off soon, I have a feeling Beth will go by the end of the season too.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I think Carol is safe, as long as she and Darryl don't consumate their budding relationship, we've got to see how great they are together, before they take it away from us. But, yea, once they do start sleeping together, she may very well be on the endangered list.

Seems Laurie's attitude has changed, now that the group is smaller and there is no the luxury of the women sticking to doing "women's work" (Still can't believe the way she lit into Andrea about kicking back doing Men's work, instead of helping her with the Women's work)

I think it was a strong start, wasn't expecting for them to have gotten this far into settling in the Prison this early on, I figured it'd take a couple episodes jsut getting there and getting inside. I really enjoyed seeing Michonne on The Talking Dead, she seems to be very grateful for the Kickass Role and the fan acceptance and adoration.

16. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Does the winter in Georgia get very cold? I remember Rick saying last season that he thought the winter would kill off the zombies, but obviously that didn't work out.

17. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

how long till they all just decompose?

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

The HEAT would have been more likely to kill them then the cold. Should have been exploding meat bags in the 100+ degree heat with no ability to regulate temps, plus some decomposition. Cold might wreck them a bit, but it's not THAT cold there, adn worst case they might just be ok once they thaw.

More plot device than science on this one. Zombies seem to NEED to eat, like a primary driver to bite and eat people. Except for when they can just sit there or wander a prison yard for a year without food and be fine. Either they gain something from attacking/eating, or why do it? Because Zombies are jerks? :lol: How are they still moving without taking in any extra energy? Still takes energy to move the muscles, right? Should be more dead ones, not just sitting in the pharmacy waiting for fresh prey that isn't coming. But makes for a more boring story. Zombie infections don't make much sense logically, zombies just don't have the staying power that tv/movies give them. Too many obstacles/problems for them to overcome in the real world...

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah the longer the show goes on, the more far-fetched it's going to seem that there are still so many zombies roaming around. You'd think most of them in the area would have either been killed off or wandered off somewhere else by now.

20. Alpha Romeo

Alpha Romeo Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't forget that there is a lot less time that has gone by on the show than IRL.