Official E3 2012 thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris3123, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Surprised nobody talking about "THe Last of Us". That looks really good.

2. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

Your loss.

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Meh, looks pretty boring to me. Just another scripted cinematic game where you move forward on an extremely linear path going from set piece to set piece shooting bad guys when they pop up behind boxes with almost no input from the player required.

If the game gives you freedom on how you solve each situation then it has the potential to be a GOTY, but I'm sceptical.

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Since the Wii U looks so poor, I'm waiting so see if the XBOX 3 and PS4 are any better.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

If its trying to tell a powerul story then no doubt it will need to be scripted, it takes nothing away from the game if its brilliant and the early signs are promising.

6. Kelthaz

Being scripted takes everything away from a game. It takes the most important aspect of a game away -- the idea of being a game. I don't play games to by dragged around by my ear while pressing X here and there to advance the plot. I want my actions and input to have an effect on what happens. It doesn't have to be a sandbox game, but even Super Mario Bros. lets you choose how you approach a situation. That's a fundamental aspect of being a game. Without that, you might as well save me some money and release a movie instead.

7. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Super Mario is heavily scripted, its a linear 2D franchise originally (the 3D game moves away from that slightly but still scripted). Open world games are cool but they still follow a scripted story in the end and offer illusions of choice more than you think. Also open world games can sometime become too loose n empty due to having a lack of a central path. I also disagree you can't choose how to lets you choose how to approach a situation in scripted games, they offer you a narrow focused story but you generally get choice in how to go about things. Uncharted works well because its so scripted like a movie, I have huge faith in Naughtydog with their new IP.

9. Kelthaz

Being scripted has nothing at all to do with being linear. None of the 2D Mario games are scripted.

Of course, I thought Uncharted was terrible, so I think we're just looking for different things in games. I'm not interested in a "cinematic" or "immersive" experience; I just want good gameplay.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Depends what you're looking for, it's all about that controller and experience, but I don't think it's much more potent hardwarewise than the current generation. I'm sure the next iteration of XBox and Playstation will likely smoke it in terms of sheer muscle.

I think Nintendo and its casual type gaming might have suffered from the phones and tablets taking some of its thunder. I just don't see Wii U having the same impact as its predecessor but then again they often suprise me.

11. Kelthaz

Yeah, I don't want to discount Nintendo after their brilliant surprise success of the Wii, but I don't think that trick can be played twice. Nintendo is going to have a hell of a time convincing casual Wii owners to upgrade to the Wii U.

12. Mr. Adventure

I thought Zombi U looked like the best use and itegration of the Wii U tablet controller. Some like Rayman Origins it seemed almost like the TV was just in the way and it could just have been an iPad or whatever game.

13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I was not very impressed with the 3DS, more games are being released and the system updates and online store/apps are getting much better, but having owned a DSlite before it, it's just not as good. I don't want to see the Wii U end up much the same way.

Just feel like getting something a little heavier, up to date like the XB/PS range. The red ring/yellow led faults put me off the current ones for the longest time.

14. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

I'm somewhat disappointed that Square Enix have not announced the next game in the main Final Fantasy series. Obviously, they are still trying to rescue the disaster that is XIV, so XV's announcement may be held off until next year.

I'm maybe one of the few people that actually wants a Final Fantasy XIII-3, sure the gameplay isn't traditional FF and everyone shits all over various aspects of the games, but I find the story and characters engrossing. I think a third game will finish off the story nicely and undo some of the damage that FFXIII-2's foray into comedy territory did. So with FFXIII-3, SE has a trilogy that they can market as the "Fal'Cie trilogy" or the "Cocoon trilogy" and release a collectors edition that includes all three games and various other goodies.

Now we know that SE is probably going to debut a new engine, as seen with the "Agni's Philosophy" tech demo, surely they want to get the most out of Crystal Tools before it becomes redundant (which could be as soon as FFXV)? Therefore, they should make (which I suspect they already have and have probably finished at least 50% of) FFXIII-3 and satisfy me!! :lol:

15. Kelthaz

16. Mr. Adventure

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Nintendo is such a joke now. :lol:

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I knew it was going to be bad, but damn. :lol:

19. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nintendo has been a joke for around 5 years, it's just that they somehow made assloads of money in that time. The problem with the Wii U is that, unlike the Wii, non-gamers just don't get it. The Wii was easy to understand, you swung the controller like a loon and your movements would be vaguely replicated on the screen. The Wii U's controller isn't as intuitive, it actually looks more complicated than an Xbox or PS controller, and that risks scaring away all the new consumers they won over with the Wii.

20. Mr. Adventure

I think a Kinect-style system would have been most natural progression for the next Wii but Nintendo's hand was forced when MS did it first.

I can so easily see Reggie pushing that, "You don't have a controller, you ARE the controller.".