The Romulan in Balance of Terror develops a crush on Kirk

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Sexy Human, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sexy Human

Sexy Human Lieutenant

"In another reality I would have called you friend. We are of a kind".

Very strange behavior by a Romulan. They are unbelievably aggressive, arrogant and racist towards humans.

I found it highly peculiar that the Romulan considered asking Kirk out on a date after he was defeated by him in battle.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He was the very first Romulan we see in Star Trek.

If you watch the entire episode you might find Decius more to your liking and that this commander was not typical.

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

lolwut

4. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

You're possibly confusing Trek TOS Romulans with the Romulans of TNG and later.

"Balance of Terror" was our first look at Romulans. In the original series, they were conceived as the "good" bad guys. Although warlike and ruthless, they had admirable qualities like stoicism, bravery, honor and devotion to duty. It was the Klingons who were the real nasties. With the Federation-Klingon alliance established in TNG, the two races basically switched places.

And what's with this "develops a crush" and "asking Kirk out on a date" stuff? Maybe those remarks were meant as a joke, but does EVERYTHING have to have a gay subtext?

5. Sexy Human

Sexy Human Lieutenant

Just another inconsistency of Trek.

They used to be good and honorable, then became evil, whatever.

Trek is just way too unrealistic and it irks the hell out of me.

The word consistency does not exist in star trek.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Find me a 726 episode universe that's the soul of consistency. Heck I'm probably as inconsistent as Star Trek over the course of 700 45 minute segments of my life. Trek does a valiant job of it, the fact that we all know what and where it flubbed shows how little flubbing there actually is.

7. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Thread closed due to action by an asshole troll who has been booted. Carry on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.