Star Ship Polaris

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by aridas sofia, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is this the SW ship in question?

[​IMG]

2. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a Droid Tri-fighter from Episode III. Who knows if it's in Clone Wars as well.

3. James Wright

James Wright Commodore Commodore

I thought that design looked familar, I don't suppose any of you know about an aircraft designed in the late 1950's the Avro WS606A?
    Well anyway, just wanted to say that the design shown for the Polaris is cool!

James

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Interesting moment on the set last week - we were discussing what posture the actors should assume on the Command Deck when they were seen to be coming out of hyperspace. I finally told them, act like you've been shoved suddenly down toward the surface of your desk. At which point I remembered something and said, "Do you know that you're traveling that way?" and pointed at the ceiling. They were a bit surprised.

5. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did you also tell them the bridge was rotated 36 degrees? :lol:

Nice attention to detail, though. Looking forward (which is up) to seeing it.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

LOL.

Technically I guess no one should ever have a hair out of place; the TOS ship should never have shuddered and sparks should never fly out of consoles. Okay, sparks don't fly out of our consoles. That's pyro, and our insurance wouldn't like it at all.

7. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

LOL! That's hilarious Dennis...

That's right... stirrrrr the pot... ;)

8. Admiral Buzzkill

As Flynt productions would say, This Ain't Star Trek.

9. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

It ain't the Enterprise. Dennis can point his bridge any damn way he wants.

10. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. Gotta say, gents, seeing the thought and verve you've put into this collaboration gives me all new respect for your respective talents and intellects. Most impressive.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

I've backed out of this except for suggestions at this point - my attempts to experiment in 3D with design refinements were not yielding a lot useful. It was at that point that I asked aridas and Vektor to work directly together. I kibitz on what I like and what I don't like so much, and at this point Vektor just comes up with a lot of cool stuff. When he's satisfied and I'm satisfied, I guess we'll figure out who's going to mesh and animate the ship.

One movie director once said that his job got a lot easier once he realized that people working with him were really smart and experienced and that when they asked him to make a choice - say, "red or blue?" for a prop - they'd already eliminated every bad choice, every option that just wouldn't work. His job was just to respond according to his taste.

12. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would love to build the model for the Polaris once the design is finalized, but I'm going to have to leave the animation work to someone else. I just don't have the time or the resources to pull that off. Although, I wouldn't mind having a hand in storyboarding the sequences if they haven't been already.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

That's certainly something we should discuss then, Vektor. Your skills as a modeler are formidable. We'd have to work out issues that you've brought to my attention about conversions between formats, etc.

14. thesovereignman

thesovereignman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

the design is not finalized then?

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Not entirely. First things first.

16. Vektor

Now progressing to the 3D stage:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are, of course, preliminary, with lots of parts and pieces yet to be added and lots of detailing to be done. Much of it is still subject to change but I felt it was time to move beyond the concept sketches, especially since Dennis and his team are starting to look at 3D assets for the effects work.

More to come.

17. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I can dig it.

18. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Could use some windows.

19. Vektor

Yeah, well, those would be among those "details yet to be added" that I mentioned. :rolleyes:

20. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I love this design, and I'm eager to watch the completed movie!