what's your local weather?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Nov 26, 2013.

1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    [​IMG]

I'm sure there's a song title in there somewhere :)

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It is so cold and dry! I need a humidifier.

3. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like we share the London weather atm. It's foggy and rather dark. Yesterday I walked home from my office after dark and the fog was lit from behind by those ugly orange streetlamps we have in the town center. Looked quite creepy and SciFi-ish.

4. mari

mari Captain Captain

I bought one yesterday. I spend all summer emptying the dehumidifier, and now I have to re-humidify the house? :scream:

It's currently clear, 26F with a windchill down to 14. And 43% humidity. Tomorrow, more of the same (supposedly) and then Saturday... "Potential for some snow accumulation" according to the Weather Channel app. Sure, I didn't need to put up the outside lights this year.

5. rhubarbodendron

still foggy :( The forecast says it'll be like this till Thursday - when it'll be rainy (which was to be expected - it's the evening of our office's Christmas party)

Because of the fog it's rather warm (1 or 2 ° above freezing point). But it's so dark you need a light all day. The perfect weather for staying in bed 24 hours (as I am going to do this weekend - I caught a mean cold, 2 days ago).

6. nureintier

nureintier Commander Red Shirt

We are getting 6 more inches of snow today.
    [​IMG]

7. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Winter storm's just beginning. Looks like it'll be a white Christmas.

8. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Cold with lake effect snow.
    Thanks for asking.

9. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Great pic! What kind of dogs are they?

I got a very young Lab pup who will eventually be a great snow dog, but he's 12 weeks old and the weather in North Dakota has been brutal recently, so he only gets out to do his business.

10. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Today, high of 42 and windy as hell.

Tomorrow should be much warmer--59 or 60F.

11. rhubarbodendron

What is the lake effect?

Foggy day #15 in a row. I start to lose count. It's like living in a jar of milk.

12. mari

mari Captain Captain

Saturday we got a few inches of snow, and I did not leave the house, not even to get the mail out of the box. Yesterday, no additional snow, sunny most of the day, and I think it got close to 40F. I got out to do the shopping, and finally put up Christmas lights on the porch. Today, it's about 27F and sunny, with black ice EVERYWHERE. It was an interesting drive in. I might head home early (before the sun goes down) just to be safer.

Tomorrow's forecast is MOAR SNOW and my supervisor and I have already decided we're working from home. I love this job.

13. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

High of 63F and low of 42F. A nice day.

14. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

I am pleased to report that the temperature rose 30 degrees (C) from yesterday.

It's still negative, mind you... :borg:

15. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

It refers to storms in the Great Lakes region. As a weather system moves by the lake, it picks up both energy and moisture, and the city on other side of the of the lake gets pounded with snow. Much more than it would otherwise get. Hits places like Buffalo, Cleveland, Syracuse, etc.

Better explanation...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake-effect_snow

I live west of there, so it doesn't impact me. We just get the brutally cold air from Canada, and the nasty wind across the Plains. It broke freezing here today for the first time in a couple weeks, so I can't complain.

16. rhubarbodendron

I see. We had something similar in June during the flood (you may recall the news about the floods in Germany - I live in the town that got hit worst)

We have our local specialty, too: the "Bohemian Wind", an unbelievably cold wind from the East. As a matter of fact it comes from Siberia, but Bohemia (Czech Republic) is the next country in that direction, hence the name. It's nasty in summer to have a 40°C (105°F) day and all of a sudden get touched by a 5°C (40°F) breeze.

Today the sky over Bavaria seems to be broken. It's not its usual fluffy grey but a funny pale blue. And there's a yellow hole in it through which warm radiation leaks! *gasp* :D
    At least the temperature is rather normal: -5° / 25 °F And everything is covered in sparkling frost crystals =)

17. mari

mari Captain Captain

It's not snowing yet... which means I'm going to have to go in to the office. And then drive home in the snow. *sigh* So far we have heavy cloud cover, and it's about 22F.

18. rhubarbodendron

With luck it'll be like our blizzard a few weeks ago: it'll idle a bit on the way and come when you are already at home, safe and sound.
    I'll keep my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you!

19. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Kingston, Toronto, Hamilton and cities and towns inland in Ontario are often slammed with lake effect snow.

20. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Here in North Jersey we are getting more snow. Thankfully, totals have been lowered... But it's still snow. As I've gotten older I grew to hate snow. I'd love to move somewhere that never gets snow...