I just started watching 'Twin Peaks' and I'm hooked.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aldo, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

There are still a few episodes dealing with the aftermath as you have surmised, and they are excellent. You'll know when you reach the new era of the series. There is an pretty solid conclusion and You will feel like that could have easily been the end. I'm glad it continued.

Nice to hear you will be finishing. There are serious rough patches but the rewards for sticking with it are very great.

That episode you just watched with the revelation of the killer is amazing. The last scene at the Roadhouse is beautiful.

2. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I really almost quit after that ep, I was so furious about the second killing not being prevented.

In fact, I think I was as furious with the final episode of the series at first, but for different reasons ...

3. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved the series but didn't care for the Fire Walk with Me film.
    Although, it was obvious from the beginning who the killer was.

I want some coffee and cherry pie now.

4. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn fine coffee, and doughnuts lined up down the middle of the table.

What ever happened to the log lady spin off?

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

IIRC a lot of people expected the killer to be revealed by the end of the first season and were pissed off when that didn't happen.

6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I completely disagree. IMO, if the viewer quits mid-second season at the end of the Laura Palmer storyline, the show holds together as the greatest miniseries in TV history. If the viewer keeps going into the Windom Earle plot it's a huge letdown.

Not just because the show ends
    on a cliffhanger with Cooper possessed by the demon
    but because, while the Palmer storyline more or less held together with the show playing fair with clues from day one
    that the murder was supernatural related (i.e., the "Ghostwood Development Company")
    the subsequent storyline came off as being made up as it went along.

7. the G-man

Seriously. Once Cooper catches Laura's killer, stop. You'll be happier. The show turned to crap after that. It was like the difference between Season 3 and Season 4 of Community. Yeah, they looked like the same show but the latter came off as a parody of the former by people who didn't understand what made it originally work.

8. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Laura Palmer story was made up as it went along too, it's not really a big deal.

9. Set Harth

Speaking of clues, that was what struck me during those "water cooler conversations" about the show prior to the killer's reveal - that people had their various pet theories, but were ignoring ( or had missed ) some pretty big clues. For one thing,
    It was indicated that the killer had something to do with the Great Northern hotel. Once you rule out several of the people this applies to, there's not a whole lot of them left.

10. the G-man

But the Laura story didn't seem that way. The Earle one did.

Look, bottom line here is that the second story never even finished. We can all try to delude ourselves that there was some meaning in that final scene but, ultimately, it was the set up for a third season that never occurred and nothing more. And to make matters worse, when Lynch had the chance to finish it with the movie, instead he made a damn prequel.

It's as if George Lucas got bored after ESB and jumped right to the Phantom Menace instead of RotJ.

I can't, in good conscience, tell someone to start on another story is the series when the creator didn't bother to finish it and especially given that it wasn't as good as the first one.

11. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Opinion noted :)

Going into the show I knew two things: I knew that there was an opinion that once the Laura Palmer story-line was done it got weaker (in many peoples eyes). And also that because it got cancelled, it most likely (I wasn't sure about this at the time) didn't resolve the second story-line, which I'm OK with.

I'm determined to see it through, then move on to the movie.

12. Set Harth

I remember how the information on that front before the movie came out kept getting worse: first there was a rumor that the movie would be half in the past of the show and half in the future ( after season 2 ), then they said the last half-hour would be the future stuff, then the film came out and it was just one insubstantial scene.

13. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

What intrigues me about the movie (and this is dangerous territory, as I'd hate to spoil myself on it), is that it seems that about half of the cast of the show was in it at one point, but their scenes got deleted.

I'm curious if perhaps a handful of them were just incidental cameos that Lynch felt were not necessary to the overall flow of the film?

14. Kirkman1987

The shooting script is out there and here is a great piece looking at all the missing scenes and dialogue.

Obviously serious spoilers for the series and film on this page. check it out though if interested once you finish.

http://dugpa.com/features/twin-peaks-fire-walk-with-me-deleted-scenes/deleted-scenes/

I haven't read this through in awhile, but I remember a lot of the deleted character stuff was, as you said, mostly cameo type roles. A lot of the scenes were more lighthearted and Lynch likely thought it would have felt disjointed (the film is much darker than the show).

15. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Thanks for that! I'll definitely give it a look after I wrap up the series and watch the film :)

16. DalekJim

Different strokes for different folks. I think the finale is one of the best things ever televised. It's the most Lynch-ian episode of the series.

17. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

^^^I like the sound of that. As I continue to watch the show I make special notes of the episodes that Lynch either wrote and directed...and I find I enjoy those episodes a lot more. There is a certain quirkiness to the way Lynch sees life that I respond greatly to.

In fact I'm really interested in seeing 'Blue Velvet' now.

18. DalekJim

Blue Velvet is a classic. My favourite Lynch film is Lost Highway, it completely gets under my skin. The Twin Peaks movie gets hate from some circles, but it's a masterpiece and deeply moving. While also being terrifying as all shit.

19. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately 'Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me" is currently unavailable in my region on bluray, so I went ahead and ordered the DVD for cheap.

I should get it around the time I finish out the series, so I can watch it while the series is still fresh in my mind :D I'm actually really excited about tackling the movie, I can't wait.

20. Kirkman1987

This.

My favorite Lynch film is either Blue Velvet or Eraserhead. Blue Velvet is essential if you like Twin Peaks because it has Kyle and explores some of the same themes as the show. It's actually playing Near me next Saturday....I can't wait.

I hated the Twin Peaks movie the first time I saw it because I didn't know what to expect. Seeing it a few more times, I've come to like it a lot. It's disturbing and beautiful, everything you would want from a Lynch movie.

Edit

Have I mentioned that I'm a huge Lynch fan? :-)

[​IMG]