So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I agree that some fanfic is outrageously priced - especially when some of the stuff people are asking $50 for is actually available for free if you know where to look.

There is a little bit of Darkover fanfic on fanfiction.net. Some is in English, some in French, some in German, and some in Portuguese. I'm actually prepared to learn Portuguese if I have to, because I really want to read those stories! I've found other stories elsewhere - one of them an extremely explicit alternate scenario of how Regis and Danilo dealt with Dyan Ardais. It's not remotely compatible with the novels, but I suppose it could have happened that way if MZB hadn't been essentially writing the overarching story from both ends, 40 years apart.

Aside from a few continuity glitches, I thoroughly enjoyed Hastur Lord, and the latest novel (Children of Kings) manages to take another look at the Dry Towns without the requisite "Dry-Towners-are-terrible-and-irredeemable-misogynists" take.

If you like, I can PM you a list of what I've found and links, if you'll do me the return favor. :)

2. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Yes, please, before we take this too far down the rabbit-hole!

3. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Just started with Star trek Vanguard: Declassified.
    Too bad they didn't continued with the big story

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It isn't.

Actually the last two segments of Declassified do move the story forward from the last book, especially the concluding tale, which is a very, very critical part of "the big story." And the first two stories flesh out character background that's relevant to what follows.

5. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Ok that's good to hear :)

6. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I'm on the DS9 book Time's Enemy from the Invasion series. This book is a bit of a departure from the other two and it is a pretty science heavy read but I have found it to be the most enjoyable of the series. Looking forward to how they plan on ending this crossover in the Voyager book.

7. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Only halfway through, but I'm really enjoying Full Circle. And Sweet Mithras...

I had heard it mentioned Lyssa Cambell met the most ignominious of ends, but I was not expecting something quite so... visceral!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  8. RoB

RoB Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

After nearly two years not reading any Star Trek books, I just got back to it and finished the last two Vanguard novels. It's sad that this amazing series is over, but I'm really looking forward to next year's start of the Seekers series and hope it's an the same high level. Meanwhile, I have a lot of 24th century stuff to catch up on. So far, I've only read the first book of the Typhon Pact crossover, so there is quite some reading ahead of me :)

9. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm just about to start New Frontier Blind Man's Bluff

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Picked up JOYLAND by Stephen King at the library today.

11. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey.

12. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Dafydd Ab Hugh's The Final Fury which brings home the four part Invasion! series.

13. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished reading From History's Shadow great story I really enjoyed it.I hope Dayton would consider writing another novel a sequel to this book. I'm now reading Star trek Dreadnaught by Diane Carey.

14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I've just started Bruce by Peter Ames Carlin. It is probably the sixth or seventh Springsteen book I've read and I've learned a lot of new stuff in the first thirty pages !

15. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm re-reading my favorite Star Trek book "The Black Shore" by Greg Cox. :bolian:

I haven't read so many Trek book the recent time but I decided to re-read "The Black Shore" and "Marooned" by Christie Golden because they are so good!

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just read issue #30 of DC's first TOS series, and issue #13 of their TNG series. But comics had a great story, but the art in them continues to bug the hell out of me.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, I didn't think DC's TNG comic had good art until the final 10 issues, when Gordon Purcell and Terry Pallot took over. As for DC Vol. 1 #30, that had Carmine Infantino pencilling, and he's one of the all-time legends of comics art, but he didn't do so well at TV adaptations. He was the regular artist on DC's V series around the same time, and I never cared for his work there, since the characters never looked much like they did on the show.

18. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Star Trek New Frontier: Stone and Anvil

--Sran

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Thanks again!

20. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

A few days ago I finished the Burgoyne story, "Oil and Water" by Robert T. Jeschonek, from New Frontier: No Limits. I then read the McHenry story, "Singularity" by Christina F. York, and the Arex story, "The Road to Edos" by Kevin Dilmore.

I'm now reading Star Trek: Enterprise: Rise of the Federation: A Choice of Futures by Christopher L. Bennett.