Star Trek: Stardate Collection - anyone know the contents?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Trek Survivor, May 20, 2013.

1. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Judging from the writer and artist credits, it looks like it's reprinting Marvel and IDW Trek comics in roughly chronological order -- Early Voyages (Dan Abnett, Ian Edgington, Patrick Zircher, Greg Adams) and Alien Spotlight: Vulcans (James Patrick, Josep Maria Beroy) from the Pike era, something from John Byrne (probably Crew, since it's his earliest tale chronologically), and something by David and Scott Tipton (my guess would be Alien Spotlight: Orions, since it's their earliest chronologically).

3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So this will be kind of like the Star Wars Omnibus series from Dark Horse.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Is that anything like their Buffy omnibus digests?

5. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not familiar with those but I would assume so. The Star Wars ones I've seen are a littlebigger than a regular digest sized comic.

6. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Star Wars ones are in the same format as the Buffy ones (though - at least compared to the one Buffy one I have - with more issues in them).

IDW also has released several omnibus digests of Star Trek comics (both theirs and reprints).

7. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I like how IDW starts and abandons a new reprint project every 2-3 years.

I also like how each one mostly reprints material that has been previously reprinted, often in the past 2-3 years.

8. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Uh huh. If IDW really wanted to do something valuable, they could publish the last 2 volumes of the aborted Key Collection that ended when Checker went belly up. I'd love to see the rest of the Gold Key issues immortalized in trade paper.

Instead, they do junk like the forthcoming "Best of Klingons," which recycles 6 IDW issues that have been available as single issues, and a trade paperback. To "add value," they're adding the first 4 issues of the first DC series, which are widely available as single issues, as well as appearing in a trade from Titan 6 or 7 years ago.

I suppose a bunch of comic shops will order copies, without really looking at what they contain. They'll rot on the shelves and the title will be quickly remaindered.

I predict IDW will quickly follow it with another couple of volumes (the long-lost "Best of Spock" is likely to be the second one) before retailers catch on and stop pre-ordering future offerings. it seems to take about 3-5 titles in each new reprint series before IDW ends it and begins plotting their next no-cost money grab.