THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

It's official: Peter Jackson has confirmed that The Hobbit will be split into three films, with the third one released in the summer of 2014. Deadline reports the story here.

2. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Bad idea.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

As long as the extra background material is taken from the other works of the author and add to the films, great ! If it's just filler, not so good.

I'd surmise that the three films will come in under around or under three hours - I'd much rather have three x three hour films than two four hour ones...

4. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

The Hobbit is a short book. You could make a single, normal length movie of it without cutting anything.

5. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman: As far as I'm concerned and based on what I've seen so far, the more Middle Earth - Peter Jackson films the better.

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's the full statement Peter Jackson released:

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I know, it's a childrens book. To be honest, so was LOTR in some places - early scenes in The Shire and Tom Bombadil would have easily fit with The Hobbit.

Jackson has already said that he was going to make it stylistically more of an adult movie like the LOTR films, and expand them with the copious material from the LOTR appendices filling in the background and the gap between The Hobbit and LOTR. Unfortunately they don't have the rights to the many Book Of Lost Tales and History Of Middle Earth books, nor The Silmarillion.

As I said, the expanding of The Hobbit should add a lot to the story, hopefully before, during and after...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  8. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I can tell he fell in love with the cast, and the look of the film, and that he wants to put as much in possible and allow the story to breathe. And sure, any LOTR story will have more sustenance to it when being allowed to breathe than, say, a thin story like King Kong (wherein the whole point of staying on the boat for so long was for tension), but I think the narrative will suffer from such prolonged length.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

My fear is that The Hobbit is going to turn into a B-plot its own movie.

10. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I just spit out my drink laughing.
    thanks.

You know, it is a good point!

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

That wouldn't be a bad thing - if it is the bones they hang the rest around, that would suit me.

Much as I like it, The Hobbit IS a kids book and rather 'fluffy'. I want it to be turned into a fully grown prequel to LOTR.

12. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

If the Hobbit is essentially a prequel to LOTR I am kind of all for it honestly.

13. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Putting PJ through the geek translation matrix:

"Time to show Lucas how to make a frakking prequel trilogy!"

14. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Yup.

15. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    I'm glad. There was a lot of info left on the pages of LOTR, if PJ has the opportunity to get as much of The Hobbit filmed as he can, then I'll be glad to see it.

16. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I have never read the book but had heard that it was for kids so I also hope Peter makes it into a more adult story and prequel to LOTR.

17. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

It is for kids. That's what the book is. That's what makes it charming and that's what makes it memorable. Trying to turn it into a "more adult story" may be possible I guess, but it betrays a completely tone deaf approach to the material.

18. Gojira

I think a balanced approach to the material could work. LOTR was dark and serious but you can do more adult and still be lighthearted and even whimsical.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

So they're actually going to stretch the story of The Hobbit across three movies? I dunno, I thought two might have already been pushing it. But there's no rule saying that these movies have to be three hours (or more) long like the LOTR films were. Still, if they were going to do a third movie, I thought they'd do the bridge film instead.

20. Gojira

They are doing the Hobbit and mix it in with material found in the LOTR appendices.