MLB Offseason 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am neither displeased nor surprised to hear this.

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because humor.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Gary Carter died one year ago today. link

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

It is a difficult concept.

6. Use of Time

^ Nah I got it, just wanted to give the link of the actual story to Mr. Laser Beam so he could see the real story.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  7. Starbreaker

Predictions:

AL East
    Blue Jays - Division
    Orioles - Wild Card
    Rays
    Yankees
    Red Sox

AL Central
    Indians - Division
    Tigers - Wild Card
    White Sox
    Royals
    Twins

AL West
    Angels - Division
    Rangers
    Athletics
    Mariners
    Astros

NL East
    Braves - Division
    Nationals - Wild Card
    Mets
    Phillies
    Marlins

NL Central
    Cardinals - Division
    Reds - Wild Card
    Brewers
    Cubs
    Pirates

NL West
    Giants - Division
    Diamondbacks
    Dodgers
    Padres
    Rockies

AL Wild Card: Tigers over Orioles
    ALDS: Tigers over Blue Jays, Angels over Indians
    ALCS: Conference: Angels over Blue Jays

NL Wild Card: Nationals over Reds
    NLDS: Nationals over Cardinals, Braves over Giants
    NLCS: Braves over Nationals

World Series: Braves over Angels in 6

8. Timby

I think people are really overrating the Orioles and the Tigers. In the Orioles' case, they played completely over their heads -- they aren't going to get a 111 OPS+ out of Nate McLouth again, and they have huge holes, offensively speaking, at 2B and SS. Their rotation and bullpen have huge question marks, too. They're due to regress in a big way this season.

And the Tigers ... well, I've said it before, but they fell completely ass-backwards into the playoffs and needed (and got) a pretty epic collapse on the part of the White Sox in order to make the postseason, and they're going to be trotting out the corpses of Torii Hunter and Victor Martinez on a daily basis. The two-headed monster of Sanchez and Porcello at the back of the rotation is pretty nasty, too. Also, given how huge they are, there's no guarantee that Cabrera or Fielder won't just fall apart at some point (or if they somehow collide, which I think would produce a singularity).

9. Use of Time

I agree with most of breaker's predictions except for the Braves winning the division. I'm excited about adding the Upton's but their careers have been wildly unpredictable. I'm hoping that they will be inspired by the changed of scenery to play to their potential. The Braves have this curse of signing big names that come to Atlanta to completely underperform. McClouth, Uggla, etc. That and for some reason the Nationals give the Braves fits. However, Michael Morse was an absolute Brave killer and I'll be glad to see him in the American League where he can't hurt them.

10. Timby

The New York Mets' highest-paid outfielders this season are Jason Bay and Bobby Bonilla.

Mets.

11. Timby

12. Starbreaker

Picture of Stan Musial waiting on deck at the Polo Grounds in 1962:

Link

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  13. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Note to smartass Houston radio guys: Josh Satin's last name is, in fact, Satin. Not "Satan". :rolleyes:

15. Mr. Laser Beam

And a note to the NFL: Leave the Dodgers alone and don't make them move. :mad: Linky

16. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Note to SNY: Fuck the Mets. I'm already sick of them 2 innings into a Feb preseason game.

17. Timby

There is no way that the Dodgers could be forced to move, considering they own Dodger Stadium outright and the NFL would have no standing to force them to abandon the location. They could have a dumptruck full of money put on their front lawn by the NFL, but the only thing that can actually force the Dodgers to move is the Dodgers themselves.

Traffic at Chavez Ravine is already ridiculous, though, due to the way the roads are constructed. There's no logistical way to fit another stadium in that area, especially because you'd need to rip up Dodger Stadium's parking lots, and now the ridiculous deal that Frank McCourt got for himself comes into play, as he owns 50 percent of the share in the lots and nothing can be developed on them without his consent.

The only arrangement that could work out here is if the NFL team rented use of the stadium from Guggenheim Partners, and even that comes with its own set of hurdles, like converting it from a Saturday baseball game to a Sunday football stadium.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Well that's a relief.

Urgh. :barf: I think it'd be BETTER to demolish the stadium than do that. Remember what Angel Stadium looked like in the 80's?

19. Timby

And there's no way the stadium will be demolished, considering that Guggenheim Partners just dumped $100 million into renovating the building from top to bottom.

This is a situation where the Dodgers have all the leverage and the NFL has exactly zero. The NFL's sniffing around Chavez Ravine because the sale of AEG has taken much longer than anyone predicted, and so construction of Farmers Field next to Staples Center is on hold because no one knows if whomever winds up buying AEG is going to want to dump $1.2 billion into a football stadium.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

^ The article I linked to implies that the NFL's main problem with Farmers Field is that it won't own it. Typical. :lol:

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far from d'Arnaud and especially Wheeler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.