DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. ncc71877

ncc71877 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of the groups released so far today we have other three cancelled books, Voodoo, Res Man and Captain Atom. so they join JLI.

I'll miss Atom though.
    ncc71877:borg:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Some comments from Bob Wayne and John Cunningham to CBR about the sales for the New 52 collections so far:

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

They had made mention that Mitch's soul/essence was powerful enough to be fighting over. He kept going into a state of Resurrection so he couldn't be claimed by either side. The series had already introduced a new antagonist that was going to keep trying to claim him.

Then it paused for a bit, had the Suicide Squad crossover.
    Still, as another noted it sold better than some of the other titles not being cancelled. The rhyme and reason isn't apparently straight up sales numbers. We are not privy to something in the decision process on this.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Superman" gets it's third creative team in it's first year as Scott Lobdell and Kenneth Rocart take over in September. A link to the Superman family Sep solitcs are included as well.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/jurgens-ending-superman-lobdell-new-writer.html

Looks like we're going back to Krypton for Superman #0 and Grant Morrison reveals Clark's early days in Metropolis (I assume we get to see his first arrival and what not)

5. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

So we're going to get two different versions of Superman's origin in only a few months? Joy. :rolleyes:

6. Admiral_Young

What two origins? One book is focusing on Jor-El and the final days of Krypton which was only really hinted at in Action Comics. The other story takes place in Metropolis probably a few months before Action Comics #1. I don't see the big deal here.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looking forward to the new team on Superman.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Kenneth Rochart doing the art on Superman is great news. He's the only reason I'm reading Red Hood, it's pretty good art!

9. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

The first few times I noticed this spelling I was too amused to say anything, but now that I've noticed it as a distinct pattern I can't stay quiet any longer. It's solicits, man! :p

10. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was digging Resurrection Man, but, I wasn't in love with it. I hope DnA get a chance to wrap it up. I also hope they get more work and soon.

I'm really surprised Firestorm isn't on the cancelled list. I've all but officially dropped it and I really haven't seen anything positive about it, save from the die-hard Firestorm websites.

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yeah, i stuck with the book for six issues...and it was rough. i kept waiting for things to get better. nope, just kept getting worse. the art was great though.

12. Admiral_Young

I was wondering if someone would correct me on the spelling. A word I have always got wrong :( Sorry about that LOL.

13. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

EVS art.

14. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Firestorm suffers from, well, to much Firestorm. Dozens of the guys running around the globe is way to many and just makes things confusing. It would be better to just go back to one, that being a combination of Rusch and Raymond.

15. Captain Craig

All the Firestorms is too much like having multiple Green Lanterns all on Earth.
    Between a couple of GL and FS crime should be quaking in it's boots.
    The gimmick I recall on Firestorm that was so interesting was that he could do damn near anything if he only knew how to harness and access his powers. But he's a teenager, he'd rather look cool. With so many FS characters running around you'd think a few would be focused on fine tooling the power of that matrix. I stopped reading at issue #2 so maybe they did.

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The comic book industry had a great May. From CBR:

17. Captain Craig

What factor(s) are they attributing that to?
    Avengers movie + Free Comic Book Day + + +??
    The nu52 is too old to generate any new hype.

FCBD has been an ongoing event, this has to be Avengers driven.

18. Admiral_Young

I think the quote was talking about the comic book industry in general, sales were good, not just for the two companies. Avengers Vs X-Men took the top two places last month (issues three and four). AVX #2 was #6. The rest were all New 52 to round out the top ten. In fact, DC and Marvel books dominate the top 30. The first other company book is "The Walking Dead#98" at 31.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The New 52 swelled the overall market when it debuted and that continues to be a factor. Since DC increased its market share in May compared to April, it's fair to say that the overall success of the industry in May was driven by the continued success of the New 52 (which got a boost with the arrival of the Second Wave titles in May) and Marvel's Avengers vs X-Men event.

20. Admiral_Young

I have to admit that so far my prediction that Marvel would start taking a chunk out of the top ten seems to be wrong. We have some time still, but first half of the year it appears that I've been wrong.