The Christmas Countdown Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by F. King Daniel, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol:

How timely. I just blogged a bitch about Christmas cards and this sort of superficial communication. :D

I caught myself doing this yesterday with "Let it Snow". I blame the weather, not Christmas. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

2. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Heh, great minds think alike. ;) Wow, that's a lot of revenue the charities are going to lose from selling less cards. I'm from a close extended family and I don't dare not send any of my elderly aunties a card with a photo of the kids every Christmas. I also have quite a few friends living all over the world with whom I regularly exchange cards. As it happens we buy only charity cards, and get through quite a few packs every year.

3. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

I hear you, I'm just counting down the days until school term ends - then I can get into Christmas properly!

4. Holdfast

If they think it's bad now, imagine it a few years time. Postage costs are no longer relatively trivial the way they used to be some years ago either; stamps really add up. I reckon I save about £40 by not sending cards, and that's not even counting my labour costs. £40 buys a lot of mince pies and sherry! :D

Once the tradition erodes, the rate of decline will accelerate as quite a few people already operate a "I'll send them to those who send me them only" policy.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

And already the toys are selling out. Can I find the mobigo toy story 3 game online? No, I cannot :scream: I should have ordered it last week but I had other stuff to sort out. :scream:

It's down to e-bay and Wal-Mart now.

7. F. King Daniel

8. Aurian

Aurian Vice Admiral Admiral

Today me, kiddo and a friend visited several christmas markets :) Very lovely.. my feet are deep frozen right now though.. but it is worth it.
    Only got some varieties of fudge for the family and some marsipan-cigars for my boyfriend.
    Now there is a gingerbread cake and a rum-maple-hazelnut cake baking in the oven for tonights advent-coffee at my brothers. Lovely times :)

9. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Writing my last essay of the term! Once it's handed in tomorrow, holiday mentality will be upon me. I can sneer at supervisors in the halls, jeering them with the knowledge that, while term does not officially end until Thursday, I will not be doing any work as of Monday morning. :lol: And they will sadly acknowledge this.

10. Mary Ann

^ Well done, DN. :) My last day of work is December 8th but that's also the day my first assignment is due, unfortunately. I've managed to catch up with my reading and am now on track, but have yet to start that paper. Old habits die hard.

Our Christmas decorations will probably come down from the loft sometime this week. Heh, our Halloween stuff needs to go into the loft at the same time. :lol: It's a pain to get into our loft; in fact, I never do it, but leave it to my husband to balance precariously on the stepladder and hoist his way up through the ceiling hatch. Not only could I never hoist my bulk up there, but I have visions of not fitting through the hole! I'm sure I would, but it's the thought that counts.

11. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

My tree is up, but I'm too sick to do anything else today. :( I barely got the ornament box out of the garage before I had to quit. It sucks being sick on a holiday weekend! :scream:

12. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Oh....I was going to to do that today, as well. So far, I'm still in my pjs at 3:30 in the afternoon. Maybe I'll have hubby pull the fake tree in from garage and I can do it later.

We got my mom her tree yesterday--a 7 foot real tree--and put it up for her in her house. I pulled out about 8 or 9 of her boxes of Christmas decorations, so she could get started this week on doing up her tree and her house.

13. F. King Daniel

Anyone else getting the 1970 Star Trek Cooking Manual this Christmas?

Didn't think so;).

14. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^Um... cut food into colorful cubes?

15. Holdfast

I meant to put up my tree yesterday but didn't get round to it and I'm feeling lazy this evening too. Maybe tomorrow. :)

16. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Progress- my tree has lights and a garland, and a handful of ornaments. Hopefully, I'll have the strength to finish decorating this week!

It's also time to pull out my Christmas shirts and sweaters.

I've switched to my Christmas avatar- Santa Eddie!

17. F. King Daniel

IT'S SNOWING!! :eek::D:techman:

18. Holdfast

Finally got round to putting up my tree after a few days of procrastination. Glad I got my arse off the sofa long enough to do so. Last year I didn't bother at all, but this year I feel more Christmassy so up it goes. :D

19. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Got a few more gifts purchased. Dang, it's tiring. Still one or two more to go.

20. Mary Ann

Where (roughly) are you? Down here we've not had any snow yet.

My husband ventured into the loft yesterday and the Halloween stuff in finally packed away and our Christmas decoration boxes are down. None of the decorations are up yet but that will probably happen this weekend. I also need to get cracking on my international cards, or I'm going to have a load of crabby old aunts on my case. ;)