Elder Scrolls Online: Are you gonna play?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by blueziggy, Feb 14, 2014.

1. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

The consensus is that nobody's playing it.

2. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I cant admit to having played the beta, but I can admit that those who broke the NDA didn't like it.

3. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My copy arrived today. Went for the Xbox One version as I have more people to chat to while playing.

Glad there's no subscription involved, so I'll be cracking on with it when I finish work.

4. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

No subscription? Okeeday, I'll give it a shot on PS4. :)

5. Servo

Played for about 4 hours last night and had a blast right up to encountering a pretty significant game breaking bug.

Several NPCs have done a complete vanishing act. If they're quest givers, or essential to the quest you're on, they still show up on your compass/map, but when you arrive at their location they are completely invisible. Their name still comes up when you look at where they should be standing, but the interact button does nothing. This means you can't complete quests or move on to the next stage of a quest.

I didn't encounter it until I was not far from logging off anyway, so I just switched off the Xbox and left it. Had a browse on the ESO forum, and it's a known issue. The devs say it will be patched in short order. For the time being, there's a workaround which involves turning the Xbox off and on again, and then clearing the persistent Blu-Ray storage in your settings, so hopefully I should be able to pick it straight back up when I log on after work.

Fingers crossed.

6. Servo

I must admit, I'm really enjoying playing. The bug described above is definitely related to the amount of time you stay logged in at one time. Played again for about 4 hours last night, and sure enough when it got to around midnight, the bug popped up again and certain NPCs were invisible.

Hope they get this patched soon. It's not the end of the world if it means I have to log off every 4 hours and restart the Xbox, but I'd rather not have to.

7. martok2112

Methinks I'll be getting this game. :)

8. Servo

It's worth it, especiall with there being no sub. Although having said that, I'm already considering trying out ESO+ for a month.

Best piece of advice I can give you is to sign up for a ESO account on the official website, which you can link to your console account when you get the game, and then dive into the forums. Loads of build guides and tips for noobs that are worth reading, and plenty of helpful souls there to answer any questions.

9. martok2112

Very cool. Thanks for the advice.
    It's going to be a while before I can even play the game. I just now started downloading it. Perhaps when the Update File finishes, the download for the main game will speed up.

I was debating the ESO Plus thing as well. I'm going to wait before I really jump into that.

I'm on PS4 myself. If I ever do get an Xbox One, I'll look you up on the game.

10. martok2112

Ok. Been playing ESO. It's pretty cool. Lots to do. I'm already developing my character into a sorceress/archer, and she's pretty kick ass so far.

Yeah, the character is a she. My philosophy: If I'm given the option to look at my on-screen character from behind, she better have a cute bum.... and this character's pretty hot. :)

11. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

I've been playing for about a month now, and I second this advice. I've actually found the online community to be very, very helpful and fairly considerate. I am not brave enough to ask my noob questions, but for the most part they have all already been asked and answered on the forums.

I'm also using some add-ons though Minion which have helped me tailor the UI to my liking a little more (see ESOUI for more information).

I don't love it as much as I loved Skyrim, but I am really enjoying it, certainly enough to keep playing. In particular, seeing more of Tamriel is great fun. Right now I'm trying to level my crafting, which is a challenge--but again, with some of the advice from the forums I'm learning to be more efficient.

My personal tip: level Provisioning like crazy as early as you can (I think it's the easiest to level), then take the perks that allow you to make 2 or 3 extra portions of everything you craft. It's a nice little money maker and you can craft some pretty helpful dishes and brews. I pretty consistently add +1500 to my health, stamina, or magicka this way.