Embarassing moments during good episodes

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by TOSalltheway, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

Speaking of "What are Little Girls Made of": that Kirk can break off that massive stalagtite is simply ludicrous - and I´m not even talking about the shape of that thing :rolleyes:

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Considering how anal the censors and the network could be in those days (hell, they thought Vina's slave dance in "The Cage" to have been too provocative) it's amazing that stalactite got through the censorship. :lol:

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

That was the scene where I first tuned into Star Trek. The cave looked fake, the big ugly guy with a woman's voice calling to him, and a phallic cave rock. It looked so ridiculous to me at 15, it put me off for another week.

4. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

You asked for it. :lol:
    Just so everyone knows what we're talking about.

[​IMG]

I saw this episode so many times and didn't notice anything untoward until this was pointed out to me.

Now I watch this episode in anticipation of this scene :lol:

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I also somehow never noticed this as a kid or teenager either. Not until I was into my late twenties or so. :lol:

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I seem to recall Mirror Spock sporting curly hair for his fight scene in sickbay....

7. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

:rofl:

I also never noticed it until it was mentioned. Now I can never forget it.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I love Arena, but every time I watch it and hear Spock say "hot pursuit", I laugh. It just seemed so out of place.

9. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Obsession is a good episode? A living creature that can travel at high warp speed, penetrate shields and screens and then a simple 'reverse the fan' in a crewmembers quarters sucks it out of the room?

As soon as the creature left the planet----it stopped being a good episode.

11. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

I cant remember the Episode, but when Kirk starts spouting shit about, to paraphrase, "No frantic dancing" and "Not too much deck tennis", I had to check it wasn't a 1930s British Ealing Comedy.

Cringeworthily bad dialogue.

12. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

100% agree----terrible, terible dialogue from Balence of Terror I believe.

13. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^ I love that scene in Balance of Terror

Although admittedly it's what McCoy says next that I really love

""In this galaxy, there's a mathematical probability of three million earth-type planets...and in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this one. And in all of that, and perhaps more, only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."

I don't even know if it really has anything to do with what Kirk said but it's such a beautiful quote.

I like what Kirk said too though, maybe it is Shatner's delivery but I thought it was a really nice line.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Maybe it was directly lifted from "The Enemy Below". ;)

15. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

While maybe not embarassing but in the epsode That Which Survives Kirk is a real jerk to Sulu and bites his head off 2 or 3 times when Sulu asks a question. The way Kirk treats Sulu in that episode does make me cringe.

here is one of the sayings.

"Mister Sulu, if I'd wanted a Russian history lesson, I'd have brought along Mister Chekov."
    - Kirk, after Sulu refers to the Tunguska blast of Siberia

16. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

So is Spock in that same episode. He is so pedantic correcting everyone to two decimal places. Even to Scotty - a senior Officer.
    If I were Scotty in that episode I would have punched Spock - he deserved it. :rolleyes:

I don't regard this as a good episode because of this

17. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, DiAmato thought it was funny. Kirk was often snippy with the crew. I forget the episode, but he once told Sulu to "Mind your helm" when Sulu thought he was offering an important observation. He jumped all over Uhura in Journey to Babel when she failed to switch to the internal locator when searching for the spy's transmission (at least he had a reason for that one).

18. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Maybe everyone was just really overdue for some shore leave, Spock included.

19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I always thought Spock was horribly annoying in that episode. Maybe Kirk was so snippy because he wished Spock were there...?

20. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I thought Shatner looked pretty good implicitly naked and in semi-bondage. And I'm not even gay!

Here's the exact dialogue:
    I love that scene. It gives us insight into Kirk's character, his almost obsessive need for command together with his penchant for self-doubt and occasionally wishing he could just chuck it all. We hear similar sentiments in Kirk's "No beach to walk on" speech in "The Naked Time" and Capt. Pike's exchange with Dr. Boyce in "The Cage."

Or will deck tennis and frantic dancing be obsolete in the 23rd century?

JaxsBrokenHeart likes this.