(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I think that while you certainly need to replace the losses of Hleb and Flamini, you need one or two more experienced pros coming off the bench - not game breakers mind you, but strong players that can contribute and provide some veteran leadership - something else I thought the Gunners were lacking last year. You can't bank on staying healthy, it's a stupid bet to take - you have to assume you won't be and have the appropriate cover in place.

2. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. Seasoned players would help. And no, you can't bank on staying healthy, cover is essential. It is what helped Chelsea attain their titles. But you can hope you don't lose 4 key starters, including two strikers, in the thick of the title race at the same time. Cover is one thing. Shit luck is another.

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

What annoys me is that on September 1st last year we had Fabregas, Flamini, Gilberto, Diaby, Denilson and Diarra - six central midfielders that I would not worry in the slightest about playing.

Now we have Fabregas, Denilson and Diaby. If Diaby wakes up to his talent he could be the new Vieira, scratch that - Patrick Vieira could be the old Abou Diaby. Aaron Ramsey says he wants to play central midfield though.

We've only got two players in the first team squad older than 30. We absolutely must keep the injury prone Rosicky, van Persie and Gallas fit and get Eddie back. We have not even begun to see what Eddie is capable of.

I do not worry too much about dropping kids in here and there. We can finally play Carlos Vela in the Premier League now that his work permit is sorted out once and for all and we've got a bomb to drop on the Carling Cup named Jack Wilshire.

Our squad may be young, but we do still have two players for every position if everyone is fit. Wenger has promised a new central midfielder and I think the fans will hold him to that.

In the meantime, David Bentley, football's equivalent of Anakin Skywalker (all the potential in the world but too busy taking the quick and easy path to do it right), will soon complete his journey to the dark side when he joins Spurs.

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Oh, and for anyone worried about Kolo Toure's health:
    [​IMG]

That was taken yesterday.

5. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I'm looking forward to seeing Vela in action - my Arsenal-loving housemate has been hyping him up for months now and it looks like there's going to be a place for him on a regular basis this season unless Arsenal start buying.

Do any of you know when Eduardo is due back roughly? He's the only Arsenal striker I like.

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Current expectation is that he will be in training and playing reserve games in September. He is back in London now after doing most of his physio work in Brazil.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Oh this is too funny. Apparently Arsenal negotiated a minimum 40% sell on clause when they sold David Bentley to Blackburn Rovers. If this £18m fee being suggested is accurate, Spurs will be contributing £7.2m to our transfer budget. :guffaw:

8. TheArsenal

Arsenal sign Amaury Bischoff.

Another Youngling.

9. HappyDayRiot

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7533718.stm

And Man City have wrapped up the deal for Chelsea's Tal Ben Haim. Looks like a decent defence for City with him among the likes Dunne, Richards and Corluka. I thought Ben Haim was unfairly frozen out by Avram last season, so this should be a good chance for him to get back on track.

The Beeb are also reporting that Villa have stated Barry will be staying after all, as Liverpool have failed to meet a deadline Villa imposed on the transfer negotiations. Given how much revenue Liverpool need to generate to fund that purchase, I'd say it's very unlikely Barry will move now.

Which, unfortunately for Liverpool fans, means another season of Andriy Voronin!

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I'm watching the Stuttgart vs Arsenal friendly. Our old mate Jens is not having a good time against Vela and Bendtner in the second half. Both have now scored, current score is 2-1 to the Arsenal.

Edit - 3-1. Jack Wilshire! :D

11. TheArsenal

Just watched that. This Vela kids looks good. I think he's going to surprise some teams.

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Bring on McLaren! FC Twente vs Arsenal in the Champions League qualifiers. :D

Liverpool got Standard Liege, Rangers (or Kaunas) got Aalborg or Modrica.

Barcelona will play Beitar Jerusalem or Wisla Krakow and it's Schalke 04 v Atletico Madrid.

13. HappyDayRiot

I wanted it to happen, I shouted at the TV willing it to happen, but I never dreamed it would really happen. Should be a good one and I'd expect Arsenal to progress... all I'm saying is remember how McClaren and Boro always turned it on against the top 4 teams these last few years ;) And hey, if McClaren loses... well, great, cos he's an idiot!

Schalke v Atletico is the tie of the round - I'm hoping I'll be able to see at least part of it somehow.

And Rangers may not even get there, because YET AGAIN they played a Euro tie at home and didn't score/concede. Again. After last season's run to the final I almost hope they get knocked out by Kaunas.

Days like this make me even more excited that the new season is only a few weeks away. (but isn't it weird the Euro qualifiers are before the opening matches of the Premier League this year?)

14. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^The Arsenal fans will have plenty of umbrellas ready to welcome Stevie back.

15. HappyDayRiot

I hope so. That would be the highlight of the season.

In the UEFA Cup, Villa have drawn Hafnarfjordur of Iceland, whilst Man City will face Midtjylland from Denmark. Queen of the South have got a Danish team too - Nordsjalland. Almost certain progress, you'd have to say (although I won't want to guess what QOS are capable of).

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

The Umbrella planning thread on Arsenal's official members forums has already started. :D

17. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Must be time to sell Almunia and Gallas then.

Seriously, you need a better keeper.

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Almunia never once let us down last season. I can't say the same for Cech or van der Sar. I don't remember Almunia completely flapping at a ball, missing it entirely and leaving it for an opposition player to head in to an empty net like Cech did against us at the Emirates last season.

Perhaps we should be like Liverpool. Ten players for every position, never let the team settle, buy a complete new team every year and hope one of those signings turns out to be any good.

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

besides the keepers on form last year were...

James, Friedel and Howard (all non top 4) but I think Wenger needs a central defender and midfielder far more than a keeper. I wish he would sign someone like Barry because I would like to see this title race be a 3 horse way but I feel the gunners are short of 2 players.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  20. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I'd definitely say James was my Premier League goalkeeper of the season.