Trek actors in other roles

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by T'Cal, Nov 8, 2012.

1. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

My family and I, while watching movies, series, commercials, etc., make a point of pointing out actors who we recognize from their work in Star Trek. So it was a treat last night to watch the 1979 film called The Onion Field, which was chock full of alum:
    John Hurt - VOY's Capt. Ransom
    Franklyn Seales - TMP's unnamed crewman
    Phillip Allen - TSFS's Capt. Esteban
    Ronny Cox - TNG's Capt. Jellico
    Christopher Lloyd - TSFS's Kruge
    Richard Herd - TNG's L'kor & VOY's Adm. Paris
    K Callan - DS9's Alsia
    Michael Pataki - TOS's Karnas & TNG's Korax
    John de Lancie - TNG/DS9/VOY's Q
    Jesse Lawrence Fergeson - TNG's Lutan

The Law & Order shows as well as the CSI series have always been a good source for this past time but this is the greatest number of Trek actors in one non-Trek film that I've seen. I dare you to top this!:p

2. MHT1138

MHT1138 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know I can't top that, but I love spotting Star Trek actors in other projects. I can usually name the actor too.

3. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Been watching the West Wing, which has quite a few as well, including Q, Phlox and Keiko and half-a-dozen or more who've done guest spots (Vaadwaur baddie, Janeway's father)

4. Surak of Vulcan

Surak of Vulcan Ensign Red Shirt

To point out the brutally obvious;
    Scott Bakula: Dr. Sam Beckett in Quantum Leap

There's plenty others, it's just that Bakula's role in Quantum Leap is one of the first to come to mind when I think of Trek actors/actresses in Non-Trek roles.

5. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

Of course, Dean Stockwell appeared with Bakula on ENT too.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Warehouse 13 is practically a Trek convention when it comes to guest-stars. So far, Kate Mulgrew, Jeri Ryan, Rene Aubojonois, Armin Shimmerman, and Brent Spiner have all appeared on the show, often in recurring roles. (I think Shimmerman is the only one who hasn't made a return appearance yet.)

I figure Wil Wheaton and John DeLancie are only a matter of time . . . :)

Leverage loves its Trek-friendly guest stars, too.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You mean John Savage. John Hurt, unfortunately, has never done Star Trek. He probably had his fill of spaceships after what happened to him aboard the Nostromo...

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

You got it reversed. Pataki was Korax on TOS and Karnas on TNG.

I like finding actors in performances before they did Star Trek. The most well-known occurance is probably Shatner and Nimoy appearing in the same episode of The Man from U.N.C.L.E., a full year before Kirk and Spock. Shatner, Nimoy, and James Doohan all appear in episodes of the original Outer Limits, as well as several future guest stars. Nimoy shows up in an early episode of Bonanza ("The Ape") as a slimey cardshark, available for free download at the Internet Archive.

9. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Connor Trinneer: B4 ENT:
    Sliders
    Freaky Links
    Touched By An Angel
    Club Med commercial
    Pensacola Wings of Gold
    Those are the only ones I can remember.

10. Christopher

I remember seeing DeForest Kelley and Walter Koenig in separate episodes of Perry Mason. I was struck by what a good actor Koenig was when he wasn't saddled with a phony accent, something he also proved on Babylon 5 decades later.

Then there was the 1962 Bonanza episode "The Decision," guest-starring Kelley as a doctor who'd been falsely convicted of murder -- and John Hoyt as the judge who sentenced him to death!

11. Greg Cox

And, of course, Shatner starred in two classic episodes of The Twilight Zone: "Nick of Time" and "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet."

Both scripted by (ahem) Richard Matheson . . . .

12. Christopher

T'other day on TCM, I caught a bit of Shatner's big-screen debut in The Brothers Karamazov with Yul Brynner, Joseph Cotten, and Lee J. Cobb. He played a very quiet, pious character, the youngest brother. In the parts I saw, he was mostly standing around in the background while the bigger stars were talking, or facing away from the camera while talking (or mostly listening) to Brynner.

13. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Rene Auberjonois (Odo) in an episode of Hart to Hart

Connor Trinneer on Numb3rs and Stargate Atlantis

Wil Wheaton as himself on The Big Bang Theory

Eureka and Warehouse are in the same 'verse, and Wil Wheaton plays Fargo's rival on Eureka.

14. Melakon

Yeah, but I figured everybody knows that. Shatner was working his @$$ off in the early days.

Grace Lee Whitney and Robert Fortier (Scotty's drinking partner in "By Any Other Name") both play important supporting roles in original Outer Limits' "Controlled Experiment".

15. Greg Cox

I saw that in college back in the early eighties. I remember being amused that Shatner was playing the spiritual brother instead of the womanizing one--and that Hollywood actually gave The Brothers Karamazoz a happy ending! (I was taking a course on Dostoevsky at the time and had just read the book.)

I taped it off TCM, too, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

(Are you sure Joseph Cotten is in it? I remember the three brothers being played by Brynner, Shatner, and Richard Basehart, with Basehart playing Ivan, the intellectual brother.)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  16. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't forget Faran Tahir as Regent Adwin Kosan.

Love watching Captain Robau crewing out Captain Janeway.

:)

17. Greg Cox

Good call! I knew I must have missed somebody!

Me, I'm just amused that Pete's mom is Janeway and his ex-wife is Seven of Nine. Too bad they haven't managed to get both of them into the same episode yet!

You know, if Pete's mom ever meets Myka's dad, we'll have Janeway vs. Colonel Tigh!

18. Christopher

Oh, right, Richard Basehart. The place I saw Cotten recently was a Rockford Files episode on Netflix. Dave Mack got me interested in that show recently. That's another one that has a fair number of Trek guest stars, not to mention a recurring role for a pre-Bionic Woman Lindsay Wagner in at least the first season.

19. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Speaking of roles before Star Trek, I'm always impressed with Shatner's role as Adam Kramer in The Intruder. It makes me wish Shatner had been in full heel mode more often. His charisma makes his evil nature that much more devious. You really believe that people would fall under this guy's spell.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbpkzxD-o08&feature=fvst[/yt]

20. Melakon

The Intruder is also available at Internet Archive for free download, under the title Shame. They filmed parts of it southeast Missouri, circa 1962, with local residents playing some of the parts. On more than one occasion, when some local jurisdictions found out what the film was actually about, Shatner, Roger Corman, and rest of the crew would have to make a fast getaway out of town.