Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It is funny, what kind of details you now can see, because of the HD: In "Data's Day", when Data is sitting in Troi's office to discuss his help for Keiko and O'Brien, during his sentence "I will not grow old", a fly is crossing the camera. :)

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen Final Mission on DVD in a long while, but was there so much lens flare on the standard sets? On the blu ray it was almost as if JJ Abrams had directed the episode. Of course they were filming the sun, but seemed more apparent here than on the originals.

3. tomalak301

One of the nice things about these sets is that it's forcing me to revisit some of the episodes I haven't seen in years. Two of those episodes I watched last night, Data's Day and The Loss. I still don't like The Loss mainly because I don't like Sirtis' acting, but Data's Day is really charming.

I do have probably my first disappointment about this set though. One of the things I was most looking forward to seeing was the Cosmic String from The Loss. Truthfully, it looked a lot more bland than what I would have liked. I understand maybe it was how it was filmed and Modern Video is better than HTV, but I couldn't help but think that if CBS Digital did that effect, we would have seen something along the lines of the Crystaline Entity from season 1. Kind of wish they had remastered that effect better.

4. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Since, as you say, the cosmic string effect in this episode is comprised of filmed elements (shooting liquid nitrogen against black velvet, I believe -- that trick was used a lot for space anomalies), I'm not sure it would have ended up looking much different in CBS-D hands, since their mantra is that if it exists on film, they use it. The crystalline entity had to be recreated, of course, because there was no high-quality source... the original CGI only existed on standard definition analog tape and simply didn't hold up in resolution or even aesthetically. It sort of demanded to be re-done. :)

5. tomalak301

After watching "The Wounded" this afternoon, I think I know what I want in a new Star Trek movie, like Star Trek III from JJ Abrams. I want a real first contact with the Cardassians. There is just so much you can do that we haven't seen, such as the whole Cetlik 3 massacre, first contact, how the federation and cardassians waged war, that I always felt it was a missed opportunity that we never really got any backstory on how the Federation and Cardassia first met. I don't think even in DS9 we know and that would be very interesting.

As for the episode, man another episode that could easily have been in DS9. Great stuff. Oh, and while DS9 has it's "It's easy to be a saint in Paradise", one of the TNG's most coolest quotes came after O'Brian talked about the Cetlik three massacre: "I don't hate you Cardassian, I hate what I became because of you".

6. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's another one. In "In Theory", the label on the door of Jenna's quarters reads "Ensign Jenna D'Sora" yet she's a lieutenant. ;)

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Maybe it was a recent promotion and they haven't made her a new door tag yet? Maintenance is kind of lagging on that. ;)

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

They kinda screwed any chance of that in ST11, with the reference to the Cardassian Sunrise. :)

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Plus, the Vulcans already knew about the Cardassians at least as far back as ENT, since T'Pol stated that a Cardassian poet was living in exile on Vulcan.

10. tomalak301

We don't know that in this universe. I thought it was supposed to be an alternate universe.

As for the Cardassian sunrise thing, ok, so it doesn't need to be about first contact. It can just be a movie with the Cardassians, since not much was really done with them other than DS9.

11. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

It is now, unless the high court retconned Ricardo Montalban out of the Prime Universe.

12. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Alternate after the arrival of the Kelvin. Enterprise still holds.

13. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Yep, this is correct - and we know it's accurate, since a model of the NX-01 appears in Into Darkness.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Been watching the S4 set, and I have to ask-- what's up with the blurry lights in some of the Enterprise shots? Even in the second part of BOBW done by CBS-D, there was one.

Is that just the way they appeared from S4 onward, or is it a compositing mistake? I have a hard time believing CBS-D would just overlook something so obvious that continually shows up like that.

15. Maxwell Everett

Could you be more specific? What do you mean by blurry lights? Windows? Deflector dish? Can you give a time code?

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The window lights on the Enterprise. In certain shots they appear blurred for some reason. I thought maybe it was part of a warp effect (similar to how the windows appeared in the TOS movies), but it shows up now and then even when the ship is at impulse.

17. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am sorry, but this is really disappointing, because this over-motionblurred shot of the 1701-D passing by appeared now in several episodes:

[​IMG]

WTF!? How could anybody decide, that THIS is a correct shot and edit it in not only one but SEVERAL episodes??

18. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

I noticed this in several episodes. It looks ok when the ship is at warp, imo. But at impulse, definitely not. Its not as bad as the inconsistent transporter effects though. Its like every episode had a new flavor of effect.

19. Maxwell Everett

This was already addressed back in July. The correct footage wasn't located (or certain passes couldn't be located) and a similar shot (the one above, seen on Locutus' viewscreen in BOBW) was substituted, but it was not the correct length, so the shot was timewarped resulting in the added motion blur.

Frankly I still prefer it to the CG version. :)

20. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, so that's what caused it. I think this is one of the rare cases where CGI is preferable to cheating with a real model shot.