Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Sep 7, 2012.

?

How do you feel about the Spock/Uhura pairing?

Poll closed Mar 6, 2013.
  1. I LOVE them together! :)

47.5%
  2. I generally think they’re okay together.

18.0%
  3. Not my preference, but I don’t mind them together.

21.3%
  4. I HATE them together. :o

13.1%
  1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

:rofl:I love it!

2. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

so I don't know if anyone reads the comics and specifically the after darkness trilogy (that is supposed to work like an epilogue of the last movie)
    anyway, there is this moment where Spock is "sick" (or more like affected by a craziness) and Uhura talks to him remembering the time where she realized that he was in love with her and his way to tell her that. Spoiler: it's very cute (and so nerdy, so Spock :lol:)

I don't know if I can post the scans here (but you can easily find them somewhere over tumblr...) so here's the transcript of what she said:
    I know when you fell in love with me. It was the first time I beat you at chess. Before we played, you suggested that the two dimensional version might at least give me a fighting chance.
    I wasn’t offended.
    You’d won every game of chess you’d played since the day you were born, so by the time you met me I think you just assumed…logically.. that you could never lose.
    Best part of winning for me was the reaction on your face: there wasn’t one.
    … But the next day this was left on my desk without a note. I knew that your chess set was now missing a piece.. and that I had your heart. I just want you to know that I forgive you. I know you’re suffering and I know you can’t really hear me anymore.
    I don’t know what is going to happen. I don’t know if I’ve lost you forever, but even if the worst happens, I know seeing this again reminds you…that I’ll always love you.
    *the piece he gave her was the king (checkmate!;))
    not everyone will get the metaphor (probably), but I find it terribly cute (and cute that she understood him without him having to tell her with words) and very fitting for them to make him use chess to symbolize the act of falling in love with someone and the fact you have to lose to win.

the rest of the plot of these comics is worth a read if you get the chance but some things about the general plot are... interesting to say the least :wtf: romulans and klingons are about to start a war... I wonder if this will lead to possible storyline of a third movie.

3. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like the Uhura/Spock relationship concept. But to me, this Uhura and Kirk have a lot more on-screen chemistry.

4. Malaika

ngl, at times I love the Kirk/Uhura dynamic and friendship even more than the K/S one but that's it. They have this siblings-like feeling to them not to mention that Kirk seems like a S/U fan himself :lol: I really hope they won't ruin everything with some triangle because the friendship element in the Spock-Uhura-Kirk ot3 is refreshing.
    I love Quinto and Saldana's chemistry, it is pretty unique as it's not too in your face and overly sexual like some couples on tv nowadays (a lot of it has to do with the fact that well he's playing a vulcan lol) and in general I think that a human/alien relationship is more challenging and thematically it does fit more with the star trek franchise. If they have to have a romance, it makes sense to me that they have that with the alien of the story rather than the usual human hero.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kirk has chemistry with everyone.

6. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

No offence but this is way too cutesy for me.
    And I don't believe Uhura could ever beat Spock at chess. :lol:
    Thank goodness the comics aren't canon or are they???

I'm glad for you if you like it though.

7. Malaika

they're canon for Orci

everything related to romantic relationships is inevitably cutesy :lol:

why not? :lol: after all Kirk did too... (not in this verse yet but in the other he did)

8. Commishsleer

Look I don't really mind the Spock Uhura romance provided they don't get too gushy but this chess thing I don't like.
    In TOS, chess was Spock's game. He programmed it into the computer. He got Kirk off charges with it in the Ben Finney case.
    If any old person can beat Spock in chess then he isn't really the TOS Spock. He's just like a human guy with pointed ears and super strength.
    I know Kirk used to beat him at chess but does Uhura need to take Kirk's place in every way with Spock?
    Looks like I might have to polish up my pitchfork and join the JJ hate crowd if this ever became canon canon. : raises stick in air: - get of my lawn Orci, Kurtzman, JJ whoever

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's great stuff in that sentence and horrifying stuff. The chess being the horrifying.

10. talfe'anhar

talfe'anhar Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I love this! I think it's a wonderful analogy!

11. talfe'anhar

I was shocked by the pairing of Spock and Uhura, but my biggest problem with it was that I had to write their relationship into my fanfic story about Jim and Spock becoming soul mates. I managed to make it work but it was a challenge!

12. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I don't think it should be a challenge. the term soul mate is not necessary romantic. Anyone familiar with Will and Grace or the characters of Dawson and joey from Dawson creek? Joey perfectly said Dawson was her soul mate but in the end she choose Parcy because Pacey was the guy she was romantically in love with.

this characters are all soul mates, same goes for Ryan and Seth from the OC. Seth basically abandoned his parents and girlfriend when Ryan left because neither of them could fill the whole that was left in his heart after Ryan's departure.

I do think kirk and spock are soul mates, the first ongoing comics illustrated it well when it drew them as one person.

However I also do think that Kirk and Spock are always going to end up falling in love with women , its just the way it is.

Maybe in this timeline, carol will give birth to kirk's child and kirk will not be an absent father. Maybe in JJ's timeline, kirk, carol and David would be a happy loving family. It still will not change the fact that Spock is his soul mate and if Spock and Uhura do make it in the third film and get married. Jim is likely to be his best man.

A lot of K/S fans who are mostly girls can get very aggressive on this topic. Many of them have been writing fics of Kirk and Spock been lovers for over 40 years.

they all seem to have forgotten that neither characters are actually homosexuals, so when they see Kirk and Spock with women on screen they are shocked, which to me never made sense in the first place because in all of TOS, Kirk had multiple female sexual partners and Spock had his fair share of women drama and in TNG, it was ambiguously stated that Spock was married.

Lastly, may I also add that King Daniel's analogy on Spock is beyond ridiculous and flat out wrong.

If King D was correct about how Spock acted like a coming out guy then why would Spock (after he supposedly came out) tell kirk to tell uhura (a girl) that he loved her in case he dies and doesn't make it back?

If anything is right, King D's analogy fits the S/U dynamic more as Spock was willing to tell Uhura what Sarak never told his mother.

Sarek to Spock: You asked me once why I married your mother, I married her because I lover her.

About 15 minutes later in the film

Spock to Kirk: Please tell Uhura....

I know a lot of people like K/S as lovers but please don't twist things and try to make some things factual when they are obviously not.

King D, likes both S/U and K/S , which is a rear thing because we all know how catty and hateful shippers can get about their favourite parings.

I believe we should all listen to Zacchary Quinto (who is a gay guy) on the this topic. Zachary has indirectly said that Spock is not homosexual.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  13. Malaika

a contradiction spotted here :lol:
    you said no one can beat Spock and if someone does he's not Spock but then you said wahh Kirk did beat him (so it's ok for Kirk to beat him but not Uhura :confused: ) Uhura is replacing him.. and I'm like :rolleyes:

you sound like one of the Kirk/Spock shippers now who believe that some things are "copyright" of them :lol: and get defensive over this kind of stuff.. and it's so not the way to judge a story.
    I dunno where you get the impression that Uhura is replacing him from just the mention that she did beat Spock at chess.
    I do not remember tos ever using chess as a metaphor for Spock falling in love with Kirk so unless you ship K/S and think they were lovers, Kirk and Uhura are obviously having a different place in this guy's life.

I think you're too focused on the chess thing and are missing the point. The chess game is only symbolic and no, it's not a Kirk/Spock thing. It's a Spock thing.
    It's just a nerdy way the writers found to symbolize the moment where he fell in love with her and it's pretty in character to me. I don't even find it cheesy, at all.
    That quote alone says a lot about their relationship and dynamic. e.g.,The fact that she wasn't offended by him thinking she couldn't beat her, his non reaction when she beat him, him giving her the king and how she understood what he was trying to tell her without him having to make explicit declarations of love.
    I posted the quote alone because I was unsure if I could post the scans here, but that part has a context that is itself important. She isn't saying that just for the sake of...

This kind of arguments are becoming exhausting tbh. You don't have to like everything, far from it. But the notion that everytime we don't like something we have say that this isn't "the real trek" and "if [example of something that isn't so new to trek canon] happens then Spock isn't really the TOS Spock he's just like a human guy with pointed ears and super strength" is getting a tad boring and biased.
    I see nothing OOC in that, nothing that canon hasn't already hinted anyway.
    It's not the first and only example of someone beating Spock at chess so I can't see what makes this not canon or so weird only because it's Uhura, this time, the one beating him (unless you have some proof in canon that Kirk is better than Uhura at chess which I doubt you have and even in that case it wouldn't be 100% valid for this Uhura and this Kirk anyway)
    and I'd really like to avoid a shipper war with K/S fans, honestly, because this sounds a lot like that and what their fans say.
    I'm a tad sick and tired of people that compare two relationships that are so different and act like they're mutually exclusive when they obviously aren't.

14. Malaika

serenitytrek1 I think you didn't really get King D's analogy ...

... I think he was actually talking about the S/U dynamic (also what the poster being gay or straight has to do with any of this? :confused:)

I might be wrong but I think he was simply saying that the S/U relationship and Spock's arc in that movie could be an allegory of a "coming out". I think he isn't the first one that said that here. I remember in another thread someone saying that the positive message in the transport pad scene was the way Spock essentially accepted himself for who he is (and therefore he's accepting his human side and that he has emotions) and no one judged him for that ( compared to the vulcans that had bullied him for his emotions)
    It's a metaphor, so to speak. He wasn't saying that Spock was gay or that the intent of the scenes was that.

15. Commishsleer

To me Star Trek TOS is Kirk and Spock with a sidedish of McCoy. Kirk and Spock and the more the better.
    I don't want it to be the Spock and Uhura love story. I don't care if Kirk marries Carol and Spock marries Uhura and they all live happily ever after (except it will be boring) just as long as its not the main theme of the movie.
    I do not want ST13 to be a love story with Spock and Uhura the power couple aboard the ship agreeing with each other all the time, telling everyone how wonderful their partner is, dressing the same...

I don't think that necessarily makes me a K/S shipper unless I am subconsciously, hhhmmm.

Chess rant:
    I thought in both TOS and reboot Spock is supposed to be super smart, smarter by magnitudes than anyone else. I think it will be to his character's detriment if they dilute that. By having Uhura or Keenser or McCoy beat him at chess that just turns him into an average sort of person.
    I don't believe in TOS that Uhura could beat him at chess. She could do other things in TOS better than him. Spock admitted that. Maybe in the reboot she's a lot smarter than Spock. Perhaps thats the way Orci and Kutzman are going to go (according to the comics). That doesn't mean I have to like it. But good for people who like it. They will be the winners. Perhaps that will lead to more Star Trek fans but I don't know.
    End of chess rant.

16. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

You make so much sense, however you have to realise that this are the movies and not the TV series so it is not a fair comparison.

Trek 2016 will be the final film so they need to rap it all up. Carol (the mother of Kirk's son in TOS) was introduced in the second film so we are entitled to see how her relationship with Kirk will turn out in this timeline and whether David will even exist.

As for spock/uhura we have to see where it will go in the 3rd film as well. they could break up or stay together but the writers have a responsibility to rap it up once and for all as we may never get to see JJ's Trek again on the big screen.

The S/U romance was never the theme of the new Trek films as their relationship was addressed for like 5 minutes in both films. S/U are not Anakin/Padme from Star Wars.

If Trek is rebooted again I doubt Chris, Zach, Zoe, Alice, John, Karl, and the rest of the actors would be back.

Also again I think the writers just suck a little. Uhura did not have to replace Mccoy. she could have been the lead female without messing up the kirk/spock/bones dynamic.

Perhaps the writers of Nu-Trek are not talented enough to write the story like that.

May I also add that I did not like the chess thing much as it was too romantic for my taste. I like angst and brooding better.

17. Commishsleer

I agree - you said it better than I could.
    Without raving or ranting like I did. :lol:

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thank you!:)
    You misunderstand what I meant.
    That's exactly it:bolian:

19. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

I certainly like the idea of Spock and Uhura having a relationship, I just don't like it in the context of these movies. There is really no place for it in the last movie, and it was only used in Into Darkness just to give us another "Spock is just an emotionless robot" that we were supposed to have been done with since the last movie.

20. talfe'anhar

serenitytrek1 My Kirk and Spock do not have a sexual relationship with each other. My goal was to write a love story between them that did not involve sex and I feel like I pulled it off rather well, as do many followers of my stories. I had a blast writing them and I'm thinking about what I want to write next. My Spock and Uhura have sex in my story. :-)